Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
aekap
New kid, be gentle!

aekap is on a distinguished road
help me find the list of q's for agents...

A few weeks (?) ago, someone posted a very helpful list of questions to ask an agent when they call to discuss your manuscript. At the time, I thought, "I should bookmark this," and (of course), I didn't do it. Now I think I may need it fairly soon, and I can't locate it. Could some extremely kind person help me out? My search has turned up a couple of other threads, but not the one I'm hoping to find (it was a pretty exhaustive list, and contained a few items that hadn't occured to me).

Thanks!!

Check out my shiny new blog here.
aekap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 AM   #2
kaitlin008
Seeing newness all the time

kaitlin008 has earned our admirationkaitlin008 has earned our admirationkaitlin008 has earned our admirationkaitlin008 has earned our admiration
I don't know if this is the one you mean, but this list by Kate Hart rocks: http://www.katehart.net/2010/08/thin...ask-agent.html

And the post also links to a few others on the same topic
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
suki
Opinionated

suki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssuki is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Agent Rachelle Gardner has a great post on the subject, too:

http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/20...ask-agent.html

~suki

Website ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Goodreads

PERSONAL EFFECTS (Candlewick Press, September 2012). Now available! B&N ~ Amazon ~ IndieBound~
Interested in supporting a great indie bookstore (and ordering an autographed copy of Personal Effects at the same time)? Read more here.
suki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This one, maybe? http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194870

Be sure to check out AAR's FAQs, too: http://aaronline.org/FAQ
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Miriel
New kid, be gentle!

Miriel has a spectacular aura
Michael Carr did this on his Q&A thread. I have no idea what page it's on, but I copied and saved his response as follows:

1. Why do you like my book?

I wish I were better at answering this question than I am, but I'm afraid that I fumble this one more often than not. "Uhm, uhm, I REALLY like it." I feel like I've asked someone to the prom and she just asked me why. "Well, cuz you're real purty."

My point is, you want to find out if there is a deep connection between your work and this agent. I don't represent books I don't love and I don't think you should sign with someone who doesn't love your book. It's a long, torturous process and you want to be sure you've got good (professional) chemistry.

2. What are your thoughts for marketing this?

Are you and the agent on the same page, roughly? Is the agent going to market it as horror when you think of it as a furry fantasy novel about lovable talking bunnies?

3. What do you think needs to happen to the manuscript before it goes on submission?

I pretty much always suggest revisions. This is one of my strengths. I also don't sign a writer if I don't feel it's super close. If it needs more revisions, I'll ask for them before I sign. There are agents who will ask for an overhaul, though, and this is something you should know up front, especially if you're trying to decide between offers.

And a bonus:

4. What do you advise me to work on while we're shopping this book?

This is to see if the agent has thought about your career going forward. It also might suss out the all important question of what the agent will do if she does a great job trying to sell this book but it doesn't get an offer? Does she drop you? Is she going to stick with you while you fight it out?
Miriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
^^ this is what i was thinking of. i too copied and pasted this onto a doc on my desktop

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
mellymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
aekap
New kid, be gentle!

aekap is on a distinguished road
Thank you!

Check out my shiny new blog here.
aekap is offline   Reply With Quote