Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
Elwyn
practical experience, FTW

Elwyn is on a distinguished road
Question Stuart Krichevsky Literary Agency, Inc

This agency is not listed at P&E, but they're a member of AAR. Agent's name I contacted: Shana Cohen

I'm guessing if someone is affiliated with AAR, they should be on the up-and-up?????
Elwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:08 AM   #2
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
An AAR member may be coasting on past glory, and any agent may be the wrong agent for a particular writer, but in general -- AAR membership is something you should look for.

Please be aware that agencies aren't members of AAR -- individual agents are.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwyn
This agency is not listed at P&E, but they're a member of AAR. Agent's name I contacted: Shana Cohen

I'm guessing if someone is affiliated with AAR, they should be on the up-and-up?????
Actually, it is. Look for it under Stuart. Why? Because businesses don't really have first and last names. Because of that, we also list agents using the same rule since many of them name their agencies after themselves.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
dragonjax
I write stuff.

dragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputation
I found Shana to be very professional. She got back to me on my requested partial in less than six weeks, with an apology for the delay.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
re: Shana Cohen

Seconded.
She was very prompt and thoroughly professional in all her correspondence with me
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
Jack_Roberts
Scribe of my muse, Annabelle

Jack_Roberts has a spectacular auraJack_Roberts has a spectacular aura
Thank you for the information about Shana Cohen.
I just sent my query letter, synopsis and first page to her on Sep. 11th.
This is my first try at sending anything to an agent, so I wasn't sure how long I should wait

Site & Blog:
http://night-children.blogspot.com/
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/#!/scott_bryan1692
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...?id=1659674089
Search for Night Children Dark Threats and Night Children Dark Birth on Amazon

Last edited by Jack_Roberts; 09-13-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Jack_Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
eqb
I write books

eqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Shana answered my email query within a day, the partial within six weeks, and the full manuscript at or around two months. Quick, friendly, and very professional.
eqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #8
Jack_Roberts

When should I contact her? I sent the email query on Monday. I don't want to rush her.

Site & Blog:
Twitter:
Facebook:
Old 09-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Roberts
When should I contact her? I sent the email query on Monday. I don't want to rush her.
If she hasn't specifically requested anything from you, never. Query other legitimate agents in the meantime. If you send out one query at a time and are hoping for a response, your grandchildren will be dead of old age before you get published.
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
Jack_Roberts

Ah, good. Thanks!

Will do.

Site & Blog:
Twitter:
Facebook:
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM   #11
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No website and minimalist PM page, but here's Shana's AgentQuery page.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #12
jamiehall
Bereaved Snarkling

jamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admiration
According to this (look toward the very bottom of the text area) Shana Cohen represented/represents "Blood Ties" by Ralph McInerny.
jamiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
melusine
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

melusine is on a distinguished road
Apparently Shana sold a book called SPIRAL HUNT, an urban fantasy, to Eos in a three book deal. I read somewhere that this was in an auction but I can't be sure.

Author's name is Margaret Ronald.

Last edited by melusine; 06-06-2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: adding more info
melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #14
sunna

sunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssunna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Update: looks like their website is up, though still under construction in some areas.

http://skagency.com/
sunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #15
Mt. Dew Addict
Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?

Mt. Dew Addict is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by melusine View Post
Apparently Shana sold a book called SPIRAL HUNT, an urban fantasy, to Eos in a three book deal. I read somewhere that this was in an auction but I can't be sure.
According to Publisher's Marketplace, that was sold at auction in November 2007. There isn't anything else more recent listed on Publisher's Marketplace for her, though there is for her agency.
I
mani - researching
Mt. Dew Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #16
brimfire
figuring it all out

brimfire is on a distinguished road
Ms. Cohen also reps the recently released book SUPERPOWERS by David Schwartz (I think that's the author).
brimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #17
Mt. Dew Addict
Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?

Mt. Dew Addict is on a distinguished road
Turns out not all deals are listed in Publisher's Marketplace...so, if she's had any other deals I'm not sure how to find that out aside from AgentQuery and googling.
I
mani - researching
Mt. Dew Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
Rebecca_Rogers

Rebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthoodRebecca_Rogers is a candidate for sainthood
Shana was very polite when I received her email rejection. Although, "probably not the right agent for you" is a beat-around-the-bush answer, if you ask me.
Rebecca_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:28 AM   #19
JJPie

JJPie is on a distinguished road
Shana seems like she has tons of clients, but AQ said she's actively building her list...was confused about that.

Anyway, for anyone who has queried her, what were your response times? Thanks!

I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later, publishers would publish anything that had my name on it ~ George Bernard Shaw
JJPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #20
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
JJPie, we're on the same query trail! I queried Shana with Book 1 in January, rejected next day. Queried Book 2 in February, got 6 day reject.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #21
JJPie

JJPie is on a distinguished road
Totally Erin! Except I think you're a few months ahead of me. We should compare notes to make sure we've blanketed everything out there! Are we both writing urban fantasy perhaps?

I finished my first book seventy-six years ago. I offered it to every publisher on the English-speaking earth I had ever heard of. Their refusals were unanimous: and it did not get into print until, fifty years later, publishers would publish anything that had my name on it ~ George Bernard Shaw
JJPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #22
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPie View Post
Totally Erin! Except I think you're a few months ahead of me. We should compare notes to make sure we've blanketed everything out there! Are we both writing urban fantasy perhaps?
Yep! The book I'm back to querying is adult urban fantasy, the other is fantasy romance (which I quit querying in February for a while).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #23
worddance
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

worddance is on a distinguished road
Has anyone had any dealings with Shana Cohen lately? I queried her almost two weeks ago via email and haven't heard back.
worddance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #24
sciri
Maxine Fan

sciri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by worddance View Post
Has anyone had any dealings with Shana Cohen lately? I queried her almost two weeks ago via email and haven't heard back.
Two months from query to R the first time (last fall), about four weeks second time around (January).
sciri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #25
skippingstone
Bouncing Atop the Water

skippingstone is on a distinguished road
I queried her mid-January and got a partial request about two weeks later. Haven't heard back yet.