• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jud Laghi Agency

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Here they are: http://laghiagency.com/Home.html

He was with LJK for several years and launched his own agency in Spring of this year. Publishers Marketplace lists two sales for the new agency, tons of sales when he was at LJK.

Anyone have a sixth sense, firsthand knowledge, anything besides the usual google dump?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I found no info on fiction genres either on his website or his AQ entry. Any info? Seems heavy on the nonfiction/pop culture side.

saintnepal

Registered
Reaction score
Laghi

Hello fellow coolers. I queried them and had a full request (always nice). I did some research prior to querying as they're a new agency and happy to share. Jud previously worked at ICM and LJK agency. He's started his own agency so it may be smaller than some, but he is a legitimate agent with recognized sales and a good reputation among editors and authors. My 2 cents is he's a good bet for pop culture or more edgy writing that stuffier agencies skip over rather quickly. From his site:

"Jud Laghi has developed and launched a number of trendsetting books, including the groundbreaking bestsellers The Hipster Handbook, Why Do Men Have Nipples?, and Found: The Best Lost, Tossed and Forgotten Items From Around the World. He began his career as a literary agent at ICM and, before forming The Jud Laghi Agency, was a Senior Agent at Larry Kirshbaum’s LJK Literary Management. His clients include a diverse range of writers who contribute to The New York Times, Rolling Stone, New York, Spin, ESPN The Magazine, Wired, GQ, Sports Illustrated, The Atlantic Monthly, The Believer, Slate, Science and the radio show This American Life. He graduated from Trinity College with a B.A. in English and creative writing, and lives in his native Brooklyn with his wife and daughter.

Jud works closely with his clients in both fiction and non-fiction at every stage of the publishing process, and looks for authors who are like-minded in thinking ahead of the curve and taking smart risks. His hands-on style includes significant editorial guidance on proposals and manuscripts for the strongest possible publisher submission, and an exploration of all potential opportunities for boosting the marketing and publicity of his clients’ books once they have been published, as well as foreign publishing, film, TV, merchandising rights, and the broad range of possibilities that continue to develop in digital and online media."

We'll see what he says about my crime thriller. :)

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! Jud Laghi is my agent, and we're currently on our first round of submissions. He's a wonderful guy, and does a lot of work behind the scenes. He's also kind of trendsetter. His agency is new, but he still shares offices with LJK. He's a confident guy, and I feel lucky to have him in my corner.

tutter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I write literary fiction. He's a big NF signer, but when he finds something he likes, no matter the genre he really goes for it.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Congrats, tutter! Keep us posted on your progress in the Goals and Accomplishments thread.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
He liked my graphic novel but stepped back when I nudged him just now (another agent offered me rep). Said he didn't think he could place it with a major house.

It was all very brisk, businesslike, and polite.

FROBONICUS

Registered
Reaction score
Any word on his response times to full manuscript?

QueryTracker shows responses an average of 15 days, up to 28, out of six people reporting. Mine's too early to nudge, but well past the max shown on QT.

roxor99

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Jud is my agent also. We're just starting the process of sending my novel to publishers. I will second some of the earlier comments about him--he's very smart and professional, and busy.

FROBONICUS

Registered
Reaction score
Frobonicus,

Did you ever hear anything back from Jud on your full? I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm just trying to get an idea how long he took. Any info would be great.

Wallybruce: Not yet. It's coming up on three months; I'll wait another few weeks to nudge. I did look back at his request and noticed that it said, "We will contact you if we feel the material fits...," so maybe that means no contact if not interested.

wallybruce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wallyrudolph.com
Thanks Frobo,

I'm coming up on 3 months as well. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

From this thread, he seems like he's got his ducks in a row so I'd think we'd hear something one way or another.

kayreno

Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting here....
I received a request from Mr. Laghi for my full, which I sent on July 26th. No word yet.