Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Miss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to behold
[Agency] Fox Mason (Ben Mason)

Does anyone have additional info, sixth sense, whatever, about this new agency, headed by Ben Mason? Publishers Marketplace shows a respectable record when he was at Conville & Walsh, which included both fic and non-fic sales. He negotiated a preempt to Simon & Schuster in his first few days as an independent.

http://foxmason.com/fox/fox_mason.html
Miss Plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He's got the chops, certainly.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He replied to my submission yesterday... about an hour after I queried (with partial) ... and told me my name rang a bell, and wasn't I once repped by ****. I replied that it was true; I was at one of his former employers. He's been at quite a few top UK agencies and he seems to be just up my street. His agency only opened two months ago so fingers crossed.

Facebook

Now Out Yes it's a linky! USA
On Amazon! Yes, that's a linky too! UK

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi

Last edited by aruna; 08-05-2010 at 03:09 PM.
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Miss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to behold
He requested my graphic novel and said No thanks -- liked the artwork but not the dialogue.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
kenaipi
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

kenaipi is on a distinguished road
Ben's assistant, Elisabeth Kershaw, requested a partial from a query, then a day later wanted the whole thing. I'm waiting to see what happens.

genre: crime/mystery
kenaipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Good luck, kenaipi!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Glen T. Brock
figuring it all out

Glen T. Brock is on a distinguished road
Hello folks,

I looked over Ben Mason's web site and decided to try him out myself. I sent a query for WHITE CAMELLIA, my 19th century thriller about an assasination plot against William Tecumseh Sherman and got a reply less than a day after requesting the first fifty pages. I've got my fingers crossed.

Glen T. Brock
Glen T. Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
CTaft

CTaft is on a distinguished road
Just got a full request from Ms. Kershaw. My novel is a horse racing themed thriller. Turn around time was a month from first fifty pages.
CTaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
ArsProsa

ArsProsa is on a distinguished road
I read about "Black Mamba Boy" somewhere, probably The Guardian, and thought that whoever represented that novel might be interested in mine due to a similarity in themes, audience, and so on. I found out it was Ben Mason and queried him in August, with the first 5 chapters attached. I got a response exactly one month later stating that he enjoyed what I've sent him and requesting the full manuscript.

It's been more than two months since I sent him the full, is it too soon for a polite follow-up email?
Should I simply assume he's not interested?
ArsProsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Standard procedure is to allow 3 months before querying on requested material. If you get no reply send a very polite status update once a month until you get a reply.
Did he acknowledge receipt of your manuscript?
I would never assume someone who requested a full manuscript was not interested. It is far more likely that the affairs of his existing clients ate his available time and he hasn't got to it yet.
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My update: I got a rejection form his assistant. It was a memoir; she mentioned the title and called it "your novel". It does begin a bit like a novel with a rather unusual and dramatic situation, so I was left wondering -- did she think it was a frst-person novel? I'd told him it was a memoir in the query, but if she read it, not him, she might not have realised that.

Facebook

Now Out Yes it's a linky! USA
On Amazon! Yes, that's a linky too! UK

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #12
Empress Awesome
I bite. Taco look-a-likes beware.

Empress Awesome is on a distinguished road
Of course he wouldn't like fantasy! Man! Guess I'd better hold off querying until I finish my horror/thriller

"The only thing we have to fear are the cricket-spiders infesting the garage (just wait till it happens to you)." --FDR (but not really)

Egregious Acts of Innocence= Thriller/Horror/Contemporary= wip, 22k so far, first draft, giving me an ulcer
Empress Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Doobie Cantrip
figuring it all out

Doobie Cantrip is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have any recent experience with this agency?
Doobie Cantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
Doobie Cantrip
figuring it all out

Doobie Cantrip is on a distinguished road
That seems to be a pretty resounding no!

Should that be a concern?
Doobie Cantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not at all; AW demographics are such that his tastes and location don't make him a frequent target. Here's mention in The Bookseller of a couple recent sales, FWIW.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #16
Phyllo
Still sitting

Phyllo is on a distinguished road
I queried with 50 pp. on Dec. 15/2010 on mainstream/lit. novel and received a rejection Feb. 2/11 with a note that read:

"While we felt the manuscript was competently written, we felt as though the concept was not as intriguing as we had hoped to see."

Don't know if that helps you at all (can't say it helped me much - LOL), but they seem unfailingly polite and a month and a half over the holiday season on 50 pp. is more than fair.

Good luck.
Phyllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
Project Deadlight
practical experience, FTW

Project Deadlight is well-respected
Had a nice personal from Ben saying the writing was good but the narrative was not to his personal taste, stressing the last part. Was a quickish turnaround for first three chapters, around 2 months.
Project Deadlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Updating link: http://www.foxmason.com/

Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
galacticlooloo

galacticlooloo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Ben Fox Mason

Mr. Mason took me on after reading a chunk of my work, then suggested I try and write in the style of a best-selling US novelist (for obvious reasons). You - nor I - can write like someone else. Such advice is meaningless and for an agent with a psychology degree, disappointing. This initial advice was followed by a confusing array of 'pointers' that ultimately left me bewildered. He had not been long at Sheil Land at the time and very quickly moved to Conville and Walsh (asking if he could take me with him). I agreed, but soon after this we parted company. Not much later I learned that he had left Conville too. I did not 'get him' and he certainly did not get me...
galacticlooloo is offline   Reply With Quote