Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
frisco
practical experience, FTW

frisco is on a distinguished road
How do I make a PDF file?

My novel is written in Microsoft word 2003. The cover of my book is Photoshop (or PNC). Now I entered the ABNA and I have the option to get a free printed copy of my entry, but it says the files uploaded have to be PDF. Anyone got any advice on how I would go about converting them to that format?
frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Collectonian
Inclined to eclectic eccentricity

Collectonian has a spectacular aura
If you don't have Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Flash Paper, you can do it online at http://createpdf.adobe.com/ which lets you do 5 for free. There is also a free PDF writer called CutePDF, but I've never used it: http://www.cutepdf.com/ and I think OpenOffice can do PDF files as well.
Collectonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Adobe's website used to have a feature that, if you signed up, you got 5 (I think it was) free translations into PDF. That was a few years ago, but they might still do it.

Word 2007 has the feature built-in, if you know someone who has Word 2007.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
AliceAnderson
figuring it all out

AliceAnderson is on a distinguished road
Easy PDF

The easiest way to create a PDF is to get a free GoogleDocs account, paste your cover and book text into a Document. Then go to File > Download as > PDF. I've done this several times for projects and for my clients projects. It always works like a charm.
AliceAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Microsoft will let you download a free pdf maker for Word 2003 (or at least it used to. They might have stopped supporting that since Word 2007 came out).

The latest version of Open Office allows save as pdf, but I've not used it and I don't know if you need additional plug ins.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Doc2PDF:

http://www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf/

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between • A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Isn't it about time one of these was stickied or something?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
Matera the Mad
And God said, "Let there be Linux!"

Matera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
PDF Creator *sigh* stickeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Stuck.

Thanks, all.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, learn something new everyday here.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And in the interest of the stickie, in case any Mac users have the same question, it's as simple as:

File -> Print (Cmd + P)

Then click the PDF button and choose "save as PDF."
Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
princecarspian
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

princecarspian is on a distinguished road
If you own Acrobat you can create PDFs from virtually any program that can print. Once you've installed Acrobat, you'll find that you have a new printer driver called AdobePDF.To give it a quick trial run, open any document, choose the AdobePDF driver and print. It will ask you to supply a name for your PDF file. Give it one, click OK and you've made a PDFYou can also convert any valid PostScript file to PDF using Distiller manually
Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Penman Shipp
figuring it all out

Penman Shipp is on a distinguished road
I'll also recommend PDF Creator. It's a tidy little program that lets you print ANYTHING as a PDF. Get it from SourceForge.net here http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Works like a champ.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
Margarita Skies
Banned

Margarita Skies is a glorious beacon of lightMargarita Skies is a glorious beacon of light
I just click save as in my document and click PDF or XPS, but then again I have Word 2007, so...I had Word 2003 five years ago and I don't remember if they give you that option. I never had to make a PDF five years ago, so I didn't quite look into that. I used to use DocPDF when I didn't know I had that option in Word '07. It's easy, you just make DocPDF your printer, or one of them for that matter, and if you have another printer installed, make sure you have DocPDF selected as your printer before you go to save it as PDF, click Print, and it turns your Word document into PDF for you. You have to wait until it opens in your Adobe Reader, and then it's done. Otherwise the document won't be converted. It takes a while depending on how many pages your document has. My 500-page novels formatted in 4x7 book size would take me about 2 mins.
Margarita Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
Matera the Mad

Matera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd also like to put in a good word for Nitro PDF. I've been testing it lately, and it is my current default reader. It is good for converting almost anything to PDF, and one of the best I've ever used for extracting text or images. It can extract text intelligently, better than Adobe, producing a plain text file with very few unnecessary line breaks.

LOL, how to make and unmake a PDF.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And I've been using Primo PDF freeware.

Nice to have so many options.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #17
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... I bought ABBYY PDF Transformer two years back for $90. Works well. No need to make the investment though with the options above. I do have to say that one of the reasons I made the investment was that some of the freeware didn't always work, including Adobe's free 5. My docs got bungled in the conversion. I was doing nonstandard stuff though with charts and whatnot. With straight text, conversions would probably go fine with freeware 99 times in a 100.
Ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #18
littlebear91
Never Let Go

littlebear91 is on a distinguished road
i still don't get why microsoft word is so popular, I still like openoffice better, just file->save as-> export to pdf.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 AM   #19
Diamons
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Diamons is on a distinguished road
Why has nobody mentioned Google Docs? Simply upload and save it as a PDF.
Diamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #20
willietheshakes
Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.

willietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamons View Post
Why has nobody mentioned Google Docs? Simply upload and save it as a PDF.
cough*post#4*cough

Black Feathers -- 2015
Walk Like A Man -- 2011
Bedtime Story -- 2010
The World More Full of Weeping -- 2009
Before I Wake -- 2006
willietheshakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Matera the Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebear91 View Post
i still don't get why microsoft word is so popular, I still like openoffice better, just file->save as-> export to pdf.
Not that I'm awfully into defending M$, but MSOffice does have an excellent PDF conversion add-in.

LOLz @ belated mention of the Google trick
Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #22
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not to be err, boasting, but .pdf generation is built into Mac OSX at the system level.

Any app that can print or save can generate a .pdf.

If you know how to use Terminal, you can include/not include fonts, or generate a variety of postscript files.

Not that, you know, I'm bragging . . .

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #23
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Not to be err, boasting, but .pdf generation is built into Mac OSX at the system level.

Any app that can print or save can generate a .pdf.

If you know how to use Terminal, you can include/not include fonts, or generate a variety of postscript files.

Not that, you know, I'm bragging . . .
And just in case any Mac users ever get in the situation where they have a bunch of picture files they want to join into a PDF...

Select the files, select all (Cmd + A) and open them (Cmd + O) in Preview. In Preview, select all the images again (Cmd + O), and then go to File->Print Selected Images. Then do as I said in post #11, and click the PDF button and Save as PDF. Voila, your pictures are now joined together into a PDF file.

Dunno how often the rest of you find yourself in that situation... but I find it pretty useful.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #24
JulieBeth
figuring it all out

JulieBeth is on a distinguished road
I have found while a lot of these work great, many of them don't convert hyperlinks well. If you have hyperlinks, the only thing so far that has worked well is adobe itself, but you only get five for free. Google docs works, but it adds their *funny-looking* hyperlink, that is plain ugly. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that also converts hyperlinks (free)?
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
Rob_In_MN
Newb for life

Rob_In_MN is on a distinguished road
Another vote for CutePDF. it installs as a printer on your computer, so you just select print (from any program) and you use the cutePDF printer. Once it "prints" you get a dialog box prompting you to save your pdf file. I like it a lot.

edit: don't recall how CutePDF handles hyperlinks.