• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sarah Jane Freymann Literary Agency

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I found one sale from 2004 at Publisher's Marketplace, if that helps any. Don't know if it's in your genre, but at least it shows one legitimate sale:

Nature writer Sy Montgomery's memoir of her time with an extraordinary pig named Christopher Hogwood, through whom she learned life-changing lessons about redefining family, creating community, and the nature of love, and the profound effect he had on a small New Hampshire town and its people, to Maureen O'Neal at Ballantine, at auction, for publication in 2006, by Sarah Jane Freymann (world).

Hope that helps!

Rose colored glasses

Registered
Reaction score
She was one of the first people to send me a rejection form letter in response to my query. I'm glad to know I got rejected by someone with a good rep, at least.:Guitar:

nygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Katharine Sands (at Sarah Jane Freymann) is rude

I never queried Katharine Sands, so I was a little surprised to get an email from her, from her personal email address, that read:

"A. We are sorry that we are unable to use your material."

That was the entire content of the email (Who is A? I wondered. Was there supposed to be a B?)--except for an attachment. I was a little worried about opening it, since I don't know Sands from Eve, but I did, and the document also said they were rejecting my material. There was neither a signature nor a letterhead, so I actually had to google Katharine Sands to find out who she was. I discovered that she works for Sarah Jane Freymann--whom I did query.
The worst part was that the email had a CC to a guy.
I know agents are busy. I get it. I don't expect roses. I don't expect a personalized explanation. A form letter is just fine. But I think making the author work to find out who is sending the rejection letter, and rejecting someone though a CC, is simply rude and unprofessional.
I just added the Sarah Jane Freymann Agency to my "Never Query Again" list.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Follow up:

I got an email from Katherine Sands, who is having some difficulties with the board interface--but very politely and graciously wanted to respond to this post in particular.

Response to NYGirl from Katherine Sands [email address edited out]
Please share on Absolute Write: I've come across your reference to me...your posting details receiving a form rejection e-mail in error. As agencies have assistants and interns (who might have sent it) you might consider this an honest mistake, not intentional rudeness to a writer. It is worth noting you never interacted with me personally, yet you publically post this banner for all the world to see! The Internet is for ever... So let's try this: let me invite you -- as my guest -- to one of my upcoming classes (send your contact info to my e-mail). Then, after actual contact if you still want to tell the world I'm rude, well then, post away...Katharine

NYGirl, I'll happily provide Katherine's email to you, if you'd like to take her up on her invitation. Feel free to contact me privately.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I've never queried her, but her Making the Perfect Pitch is quite good, I think. It's a collection of interviews with a wide variety of agents about what they look for in queries.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
I invited Katharine Sands to be a presenter at a writers conference late last year. She is not only a fantastic speaker, she seems to have a sincere desire to help writers that always comes through. She wowed everyone with her presentation, agreed to as many pitch sessions as I could squeeze into her schedule (a lot!), and received the highest praise from all the writers who met with her one-on-one or listened to her talks. I can't see her being intentionally rude or cold to a writer. She likes us too much.

Last edited:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
The e-mail MacAllister received from Katherine Sands makes her sound like a class act, if you ask me -- I'm going to check her website right now to see if she handles my genre !

Citizen Rob

I'm swell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rummelhudson.com
Woo, my first post! Fitting, too, since it was a Google search on "Sarah Jane Freymannn" that brought me here in the first place.

I don't have any experience with Katherine Sands, but Sarah Jane is my agent, and I've found her to be amazing, very old school and comfortable in her work. She sold my manuscript to St. Martin's, largely because she knew exactly whom it would resonate with. And without her assistance in preparing my proposal and guiding me away from some of my worst ideas during the early part of the process, there's no way I would have ever gotten a deal.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Just as an additional note - I've been emailing with Katharine a bit, and I've found her absolutely gracious, courteous, pleasant, and professional. Indeed a class act.

Last edited:

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Steve Schwartz

Has anyone had contact with this agent at Sarah Jane Freymann? TIA.

O hAnnrachainn

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent him a requested partial... a clear indication of pending insanity, or I've got a killer query letter. No, I was right the first time.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I signed with Steve Schwartz in late February for a novel. They don't do much fiction--I was told that by Harvey Klinger after I'd sent him a partial and then requested the whole ms. But then he turned it down as did Emma Sweeney, Eileen Cope all of whom asked for partials and then the whole thing. Nothing as of yet, so I can't say much except that he is very tight lipped once you sign.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I equeried Katharine Sands at Sarah Jane Freymann... I received a very nice request for a partial from an assistant. I haven't heard back yet, but my experience is that they're friendly so far.

indiana writer

Registered
Reaction score
I snail mail queried the Sarah Jane Freymann Agency on 12-11-08 and got an email response today from Jessica Sinsheimer requesting a partial either by snail mail or email (guess which one I picked...hehehe!!!). This is one of my "top choices" as far as agencies go, but I'm not familiar with the agent, Jessica Sinsheimer. Does anyone have any experience with her?

Thanks!

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to you both!! This sounds like an amazing agency. How long did it take to get a response, Indiana and Tomo?

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to you both!! This sounds like an amazing agency. How long did it take to get a response, Indiana and Tomo?

I had to dig into the archives for this one...

Queried 3/4/08
Got request for 50 pages and synopsis from assistant same day
Got a rejection from totally different assistant on 3/15/08...
Pretty quick.

Indiana - Jessica Sinsheimer is her assistant. She's not an agent, that I know of..

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
That was quick! Form rejection or a helpful one? Over at QT people have commented on how helpful the rejections have been.