Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
katiemac
Five by Five
SuperModerator

katiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Willing Beta Readers Volume II

The old Willing Beta Readers thread has been running for just under three years now. Although not as long as, say, the Learn Writing with Uncle Jim thread, it's becoming a bit unwieldy. Some members who posted in the old thread are no longer active on AW, or they can no longer act as beta readers.

So, I believe it's in the forum's interest to start a new thread.

If you are interested in becoming a beta reader for someone on AW, please leave a reply with your genre preference and any other info you'd like members to know. Should you become unavailable to beta in the future, I'd appreciate it if you could come back here and edit your post to reflect your status.

DO NOT POST in this thread asking for a beta reader. I will move any requests into their own threads. Or I might just delete it.

Feel free to peruse the old thread for potential beta readers, just be aware that thread (especially the earlier pages) is not current.

Last edited by katiemac; 11-10-2009 at 08:52 PM.
katiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
katiemac
Five by Five
SuperModerator

katiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Willing Beta Readers Index

This post currently serves as a placeholder. I intend to index this thread eventually to make it easier for members to find a potential beta match.
katiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
VeggieChick
practical experience, FTW

VeggieChick is a shiny, shiny jewelVeggieChick is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'll be happy to beta horror. No fantasy, although I could give sci-fi a try. I have no problem with any kind of content except animal death (dead people are fine, though) and both short stories and novels are fine, any level.

VeggieChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #4
heth718
With a passion!

heth718 is a glorious beacon of lightheth718 is a glorious beacon of light
I have received quite a few responses to this post.
So #1 this thread works great.
#2 I have accepted a few MS's already and do not have time to review any additional pieces at this time..
Writing is a passion I only allowed my soul to sip here and there, until one day dehydration gave way to overindulgence. Characters I never knew existed haunted my dreams. Images, scenes, dialogue filled my mind and I became a slave to the unwritten novel, powerless to deny its plea for existence.
-> Moms -> Fantasy -> Query Help!

Last edited by heth718; 01-02-2010 at 02:03 AM.
heth718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Becky

Becky is well-respected
I'm interested in beta-ing. I'm 17, and in school, so please be aware that I may have to keep you waiting a little if homework/essays/revision go manic! I'm interested in Contemporary YA or Adult and YA or Adult Romance. If yours is another genre, feel free to ask - I may be interested, I just can't think what I'm interested in right now! I don't mind a little fantasy or paranormal, but don't tend to read them as a main genre.

Sex, language, drugs etc. don't bother me - the only thing I don't like is horror/gruesome death etc. I tend to critique line-by-line in terms of spelling/grammar/syntax, and give overall views and impressions. PM me if you're interested!

Edit: Now unavailable. I've had quite a few manuscripts, and will be tackling NaNo next month, so no new beta projects until after that!
Oh, Brother - 50k Draft Two Complete!

Family Portrait Blog
Imogen Kingsley tweets too =]
General Blog
The Twifties blog too!
Twitter

Last edited by Becky; 10-23-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #6
chocowrites
scaredy cat

chocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentschocowrites is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
EDIT: I will not be accepting any more beta projects at the moment. Sorry!

I'm willing to beta read anything from middle grade to YA. I have a soft-spot for fantasy, sci-fi (particularly dystopian) and literary-ish contemporary.

I'm still in school so there will be periods where it will be impossible for me to take on anything at all. On the other hand, there will be other times where I'm dying from boredom--if it's one of those times I'll be really quick at getting everything back (within a few days or less).

I can do overall and a bit of less intensive line-by-line (but not very specific grammar edits because I'm no grammar expert). I can also give a teenager's insight for YA novels.

PM me if you're interested!

Last edited by chocowrites; 12-13-2009 at 03:15 AM.
chocowrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
ashara76
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ashara76 is on a distinguished road
I'd love to beta-read if needed. I have a wide range of interests (excluding horror and short stories). I am also willing to beta-read incomplete works as long as there are at least three chapters.

I'm an English major so I tend to nit-pick line by line--let me know if you'd rather I didn't, I can always adjust my style to just give you an overall feel of my opinion rather than getting into the technical nitty-gritty.

I'm also a quick read, so expect turnaround within 1-3 days depending on my schedule and length of submission. (Saturday-Tuesday are best as I work half-days in that time-frame and can get a lot done).

PM me if I can be of service

***Currently unavailable until further notice. Laptop is dead. I can work on edits during the week (hardcopy), then type and email them on the weekend. 1-week turnaround time. Please note: I am having an issue with Juno members. Please email me if you have not received your edits and I will resend.

Last edited by ashara76; 10-28-2009 at 11:07 PM.
ashara76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Sargentodiaz

Sargentodiaz has a spectacular auraSargentodiaz has a spectacular aura
Cool

I'll beta read fiction or nonfiction. Just no romance, chick lit, pre-teen or erotica.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 AM   #9
ricmic
New kid, be as you like!

ricmic is on a distinguished road
I'll beta read almost all kind of fiction and non-fiction, but no romance, no erotica. My favorites are anything suspense: mystery, thriller, crime, what have you.

Just PM me.
ricmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
jeseymour

jeseymour is a glorious beacon of lightjeseymour is a glorious beacon of light
I'm willing to beta read crime (true crime or fiction) mystery, thriller, police procedural, anything along those lines. I'll even wander into adventure or military. I am nit-picky and enjoy helping out with the technical aspects of writing, but will also give you an overall impression. Please don't ask me to just pat you on the back and say good job. I'll read short stories or novels. I'll look at unfinished work, and love to discuss things like where the story should be going.

I've been writing for a very long time, have written three novels (unpublished) and have published thirteen short stories, all crime fiction.

pm me if you're looking for a reader.
jeseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
egoodlett

egoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of light
I am willing to beta read just about any genre of YA (I don't have much experience with crime, mystery or horror, but I'll give it a go!), especially fantasy, sci-fi, romance, realistic, paranormal, or nonfiction. I've got a bachelor's degree in creative writing, and have written four novels myself (one of which is currently making the submission rounds, and one of which has a few interested editors, but still needs work before I'll submit it). I'm pretty good with grammatical errors, as well as overall plot edits. I prefer to read novel-length works (40k or more words), since I don't have as much experience with short stories.

PM me if you're interested!

Last edited by egoodlett; 10-11-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: (forgot to add how to contact me)
egoodlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
NewKidOldKid
diplomat

NewKidOldKid has a spectacular aura
I work as a full-time freelancer, so non-fiction is right up my alley, but I'd I'd beta read anything (fiction/nonfiction) except fantasy. Absolutely no urban fantasy. Horror most welcome.

ETA: Sorry, but I won't beta for members who have zero posts. I don't have a lot of time, so I would rather beta for those who are active here.

Last edited by NewKidOldKid; 07-03-2010 at 05:52 PM.
NewKidOldKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
sydney

sydney is on a distinguished road

Last edited by sydney; 08-07-2013 at 01:27 PM.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
I am no longer accepting beta commissions.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
--Laozi

Last edited by LOG; 06-17-2010 at 12:22 PM.
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
jennibly
figuring it all out

jennibly is on a distinguished road
I am always a willing beta!

I love to help with fiction, preferably YA, MG, fantasy, and mystery. I'm okay with some romance but I'm not particularly well-read in that genre so I probably don't have the best insights if you're writing serious romance. I tend to shy away from excessive gore, swearing, shock value, etc. I'm not overly conservative, I just don't like the stuff that makes me squirm.

I read pretty quickly and I usually do a "real time" bullet list, outlining reactions and thoughts as I have them, and then a summary of my experience. I touch on grammar and word use but, unless that's the ONLY thing you want feedback on, I tend to focus on the bigger issues like character development and plot points.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need a reader!
jennibly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:43 AM   #16
AshElizabeth

AshElizabeth is on a distinguished road
I'm willing to be a beta for YA whether it be humor/ fantasy/ mystery. I'm currently finishing up a degree in Criminology, so I lean more towards mystery novels because I have knowledge in the area and can offer up my opinion when something isn't realistic enough if cops or whatever are involved. I know procedures and all that, so feel free to pm me. I'm taking writing courses, but that is NOT my major, so don't pm if you're looking for mainly grammar mistakes. i have a clear concept of grammar but don't want to look at anything riddled with mistakes.

Also, nothing heavy with the prose or lots of angst. And, I've taken karate my whole life so if you send me something with action I WILL rip it apart if it sounds cheesy. that's all. . .
Old 10-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
JoshEllingson

JoshEllingson is on a distinguished road
I am willing to beta high fantasy, dark fantasy, and horror. They must be novel length and for adults though.

Last edited by JoshEllingson; 10-20-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
JoshEllingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #18
bkrause

bkrause is on a distinguished road
I am willing to beta mainstream, contemporary, or literary novels. PM would usually be the best way to reach me.
bkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #19
silvertouch
A Fruit Loop Surrounded by Cheerios

silvertouch is on a distinguished road
I would absolutely love to be a beta tester. Fiction: YA, thrillers. Fantasy is great. Thrillers are awesome. I generally like novel-length manuscripts because they actually last me a day...or a half of one. But shorts are great, too. PM or email would be best. Although I'm really quite harsh, I think. Especially with grammar/syntax/orthography/etc.

EDIT: Um, yeah. No longer available. I will repost when I am available again, but right now, I have two full edits, on on contemplation, NaNoWriMo, and my zillion other novels to actually WRITE!

Current Work In Progress: Daylily

Last edited by silvertouch; 10-31-2009 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Because circumstances have changed. Duh.
silvertouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #20
Rowan
Wielder of the Witchblade

Rowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
***NO LONGER BETA READING***

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron

Last edited by Rowan; 04-29-2010 at 05:08 AM. Reason: ETA: Done!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #21
metaldreamer

metaldreamer is on a distinguished road
I will beta read for you. I am an avid reader and would give feedback in the form of the big picture. If line-by line is wanted; I am not your girl. Fantasy, urban fantasy, sci-fi, fiction-suspence, some romance, and yes to horror. No westerns.
mdjenk@swbell.net
metaldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #22
Mad Queen
California Mountain Snake

Mad Queen is a glorious beacon of lightMad Queen is a glorious beacon of light
Not available for beta reading at the moment, too busy. Sorry.

- Preferred genres: Mainstream, literary, mystery and suspense, fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction, western, nonfiction.
- No erotica. Romance only if literary. Women's fiction acceptable; I'm not exactly a big fan, but I've been known to read it during long flights.
- Horror and thrillers are fine in theory, but I usually don't like them.
- MG and YA must not have been inspired by Twilight.
- Vampires only if your take on them is original.
- Work has to have been completed and revised several times. Send me only the best you can do on your own.
- Sex, violence, swearing etc is okay.

Last edited by Mad Queen; 03-13-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Mad Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #23
year90ninezero
following a secret path

year90ninezero is on a distinguished road
WILL BETA STARTING ON DEC. 1st 2009!

Genres: litfic, speculative, experimental, mainstream, horror, fantasy, sf, thriller, etc.

Favorite authors are W.S. Burroughs, LeGuin, Dick, Greene, Flaubert, Dostoevsky, Beckett, Lovecraft, so on. Stephen King is good. I read a George R.R. Martin book once.

Prefer adult oriented fiction that has been worked on significantly. I'm not going to enjoy fixing comma fault and spelling errors.

Something with a strong style will help me finish the beta!

PM me a synopsis and I'll let you know if I want to beta yr book.

CURRENTLY: OPEN FOR SYNOPSIS, NOT READING
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #24
Sindaena

Sindaena is on a distinguished road
I'm willing to beta read fantasy and sci fi for adults, YA or MG. I prefer longer short stories (10K-17K) or full length novel (40K+). I also prefer completed works that have already been through at least one full revision, not first drafts or works in progress.

PM if interested.
Sindaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
bramble
Feeling restless

bramble is on a distinguished road
I'm between projects and willing to Beta. Not a huge fan of war or spy books, but a good story is a good story regardless of genre!

Update: My plate is full for the moment. Thanks!

WIP2: Outlining
Thesis: Submitted, defended, and published
WIP1: 27,500 words but no longer interesting

Last edited by bramble; 11-13-2009 at 09:13 AM.
bramble is offline   Reply With Quote