Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Nianne
figuring it all out

Nianne is on a distinguished road
Historical terminology?

I'm looking for a word for the area outside of a walled city, like a medeival city. Outside the gate would be overflow housing, usually spreading out down the main road that leads to the city. In my historical reference (french) it uses the term fauxbourgh, which roughly means suburb, but I'm not completely happy with either of those words (one too archaic, the other too modern).

Any suggestions for what to call this housing area?
Nianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Fern
practical experience, FTW

Fern is a glorious beacon of lightFern is a glorious beacon of light
hamlet or village?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Suburb comes from from "sub urba" meaning below the city where most of the ordinary people lived in Ancient Rome, so it is not all that modern. Sometimes the areas outside city walls were slums, would that be appropriate?

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Evaine
practical experience, FTW

Evaine is well-respected
ex mura - outside the walls?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
A "fauxbourgh" would literally mean a "false town" - an interesting indication of how people thought of the area.

Instead of giving it a general name, how about giving it a specific neighborhood name, like "Newstead" or "Exmoor" (ex mura)?

Read This Blog!: http://theswordthatnagged.blogspot.com/
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
johnnysannie
Seanachie

johnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputation
Hinterland.

As in:

Main Entry: hinĚterĚland
Pronunciation: \ˈhin-tər-ˌland, -lənd\
Function: noun
Etymology: German, from hinter hinder + Land
Date: 1890
1 : a region lying inland from a coast
2 a : a region remote from urban areas b : a region lying beyond major metropolitan or cultural centers

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy - Romance Author

Ms. Murphy's portrayal of a bitter, deeply wounded Marine was gripping and totally believable. I cried with him, felt his shame, felt his sorrow. Bravo, Ms. Murphy!
http://www.amazon.com/Wills-Way-Lee-...dp/B00HPZTU7M/
!
johnnysannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
PeterL
Sockpuppet

PeterL is a shiny, shiny jewelPeterL is a shiny, shiny jewel
The term would have been different in different times and places. The Roman term was "sub urbis". In Medieval times the suburbs were called various things, but there was a great effort to keep everything inside the walls. Walled towns had privileges that did not apply to areas outside the walls. Keeping the area immediately around the walls clear was also important for defense. Buildings against or near the wall could be used by attackers. Generally the first outlying villages were a few miles from the walled town, far enough that it would be inconvenientto walk the distance several times a day.
PeterL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
Ariella

Ariella has a spectacular aura
The usual spelling in English is 'faubourg'. It's not a common word, but it is the exact term for what you're trying to describe.