• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Oceanview Publishing

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I note that Oceanview Publishing, of Ipswich MA, seeks submissions from authors directly as well as from agents. This is very rare. Their website states Oceanview was established in 2006. I find nothing on them in Preditors & Editors, nor in some of the other standard websites. I do see, however, that they will send a representative to Thrillerfest this year. Their website appears above-board.

Does anyone know anything about this publishing house?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I don't know anything about Oceanview's reputation, but it's not rare for a small press to accept submissions both from authors and agents. Of course, whether (reputable) agents will be interested depends on whether the publisher pays an advance.

- Victoria

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I hung out with the owner, Bob Gussin, for three days at the BEA in Washington, so that would be three years ago. He had just opened up Oceanview at that time. Nice guy, honest, plenty of money, and distributed by Midpoint. We catch up with each other very occasionally, and it sounds like he's not as involved with the day-to-day business, as he has his fingers in a lot of pies. But I think he hired some good help who are working hard to get their books out there.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I met MaryGlenn McCombs, from Oceanview, last year at KillerNashville. Really neat lady. I found her to be hard working, honest and sharp.

They have picked up several writers from the conference.

I'm hoping to get the chance to "pitch" her again this August.

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
I checked it too last week and it was there. I didn't know what happened when I checked it this morning and all I got was a services unavailable message

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever it was, they're up again.

jemacba

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeremybatesbooks.blogspot.com
yup, definitely in business... i signed with them in 2011.... bob and patricia, the owners, are wonderful people... everyone there is very professional

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone who's been published by Oceanview have any info on their process and contracts? Advance, response time, time from acceptance to publication, royalties, royalties schedule?

thanx!

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting

From a 2013 newspaper story about Oceanview Publishing...

"Before retiring, Patricia Gussin decided she wanted to become an author and started attended writers workshops. When Bob Gussin accompanied her, he realized there were a lot of writers who were unhappy.

He met talented writers who couldn’t find an agent to represent them and couldn’t find a publisher to read their manuscript because they didn’t have an agent. They pointed to the best-seller lists that every week contained the same small group of authors.

As Bob Gussin learned more about the publishing process, he thought he could start his own company and help bring new authors onto the literary scene."

From Oceanview's website:

Submissions will be accepted only if they meet one of the following criteria:
  • An author represented via a literary agent.
  • An author who has previously been published by a traditional publishing house (not self-published or published by a vanity press)
  • An author specifically invited by an Oceanview representative or an Oceanview author.
I guess they got flooded with submissions and had to draw the line somewhere. Oh, well.