Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
TrixieLox
Benefactor Member

TrixieLox is a shiny, shiny jewelTrixieLox is a shiny, shiny jewel
Agent wanted more 'paranormal romance' in my novel

Hey!

One of the agents who had my full m/s got back to me with a no but full of praise, though one thing she said piqued my interest. She said she wanted more of the paranormal romance element, less of the thriller / action. I've heard from other YA authors that this is being said a lot lately - this and a desire for gothic stuff too (one and the same, I guess?).

In your view (know it's difficult without knowing my book), what makes a book more paranormal romance and less thriller / action?

I won't go revising my book based on this unless other agents say the same, am just curious. Overall, happy with her comments and will see what other agents with full and partials have to say. :-)

Order the ebook for just 99p. Paperback out on 31 July.

My blog (including 'journey to publication' posts)
Follow me on Twitter
Find me on GoodReads

"There is absolutely no point in sitting down to write a book unless you feel you must write that book, or else go mad, or die."

Robertson Davies
TrixieLox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Kats
practical experience, FTW

Kats is a glorious beacon of lightKats is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixieLox View Post
In your view (know it's difficult without knowing my book), what makes a book more paranormal romance and less thriller / action?
I think you just answered your question - more romance, less action! It sounds like the agent wants the romance element to be more important to the story than it currently is.

It's good that she was full of praise for it otherwise, good luck!
Kats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Kathleen42
crushing on fictional characters

Kathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Worried I'm going to run into this as well (providing I can finish my WiP and get it in shape). There is some sexual tension but no outright romance.

HEMLOCK now available from Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins

Website * Twitter * Goodreads
Kathleen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
TrixieLox
Benefactor Member

Thanks. Yeah, it certainly feels like agents are looking for some good ol' fashioned lovin'! My novel started as that but then I thought 'heck, I better inject some action' as I was reading how strong plots and action are king and angsty love numbers aren't so hot. But now it looks like my first instincts were correct. Will see what the other agents say.

Follow me on Twitter
Find me on GoodReads

"There is absolutely no point in sitting down to write a book unless you feel you must write that book, or else go mad, or die."

Robertson Davies
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
JamieB

JamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've been torn on this too. Do I amp up the action and risk putting the romance on the back burner as a secondary plot element, or make the romance first over everything else. I'm trying to strike a balance, but it always seems that the action takes over.

www.jamiemblair.com
Twitter @JamieMBlair

Writing as USA Today Bestselling Author Kelli Maine
The Give & Take Series - Grand Central Forever
www.kellimaine.blogspot.com
Twitter @KelliMaine
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Jodotha
Oh hey, I've been here before...

Jodotha is on a distinguished road
Well this is good news for me LOL I always feel as though I need to reign in the romantic side of the story in favor of action and suspense. But then I'm a hopeless romantic personally ;-) I wonder if this trend was in the works long before Twilight appeared or if that had a direct role in the change?
Jodotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
Red.Ink.Rain
Not your kid brother's YA

Red.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hm, I'm hoping to inject a pretty equal amount of action and romance. So we'll so how that works. That's interesting, though - I was assuming that the paranormal romance market is getting pretty saturated.

Red.Ink.Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #8
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My feeling has always been what separates paranormal romance from urban fantasy is whether the most important aspect of the book is the relationships of the mc, or the other problems s/he may face.

Think of Twilight. Despite all the action going on, the heart of the book is the relationship between Bella and Edward. Which is one reason for its phenominal success.

Paranormal romance will almost always outsell fantasy, imo. That's why the agents want you to pump up the romance element. But books can and do succeed with a minor romantic subplot, or even none at all.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
TrixieLox
Benefactor Member

Really useful comments. Keep in mind this is a UK agent - she said in a recent interview that the UK is NOW starting to catch onto the whole Twilight / paranormal romance vibe (tch, if only I'd read that before I submitted my stuff to her ;-). UK YA is usually about the grittier stuff, straight fantasy or the chick lit stuff. So we're a bit behind you folks with the whole paranormal romance vibe. I've pitched my novel as an urban fantasy. We'll see, two other agents looking at it, will be interesting to see what they say.

Follow me on Twitter
Find me on GoodReads

Robertson Davies
Old 02-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Chanelley
2011 is the year for me :D

Chanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolness
Which agent was this, Trixie? If you dont mind me asking.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
TrixieLox
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelley View Post
Which agent was this, Trixie? If you dont mind me asking.
I've PMd you :-)

Follow me on Twitter
Find me on GoodReads

Robertson Davies
Old 02-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
Mrs. Strange
Water resistant

Mrs. Strange has a spectacular aura
Trixie- I just finished revisions on my YA Paranormal MS. My agent said I needed to decide which would be forefront- the romance, fantasy or horror b/c all three got equal time. I chose romance. So far, she's happy with it.
Twitter: siabra
Mrs. Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
saeglopur
figuring it all out

saeglopur is on a distinguished road
I've run into a similar attitude in querying. My paranormal romance MS got over 75% partial request, while my edgy love story (with no paranormal elements) got only 1 request for full and 1 for partial despite sending out double the amount of queries.
saeglopur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #14
everythinginblak

everythinginblak is on a distinguished road
eh...seems like with the *success* of Twilight, more agents might be looking into the whole romance paranomarl genre. I, for one could care less about the sappy, naive, cruhses of tween girls. I mean, if it's a sexy, perfectly beautiful male they're looking for they need to watch the Soap Channel. Or The Hills. Something.

A year and a half ago, I wrote a plot outline for a paranormal novella whose basis was a love story. I wrote a few first drafts of another one last year, this one a paranormal/romance/comdey. One of these days, when pregnancy doesn't have me feeling so exhausted.....I can continue work on both of these. I love the whole genre of gothic/urban fantasy/paranormal. ONe of my favorite books that has the elements of modern fantasy and paranormal is Ron Currie Jr's, God is Dead. I wish I wrote that book....
everythinginblak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
JamieB

JamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamieB is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I better EMO mine up a bit!

www.jamiemblair.com
Twitter @JamieMBlair

Writing as USA Today Bestselling Author Kelli Maine
The Give & Take Series - Grand Central Forever
www.kellimaine.blogspot.com
Twitter @KelliMaine
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #16
Blondchen
Honey Badger don't give a shit.

Blondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBlondchen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it really depends on the agent. All of the agents who I spoke to in regards to my novel said the reason they wanted to rep it was because it's not a teen high school drama, had very little romance and was non-stop adventure. I'd say, it's a personal preference on the agent's part.

POSSESS (Balzer + Bray, on sale now)
TEN (Balzer + Bray, on sale now)
3:59 (Balzer + Bray, September 17, 2013)
GET EVEN (Don't Get Mad, Book 1, Balzer + Bray, Fall 2014)
GET DIRTY (Don't Get Mad, Book 2, Balzer + Bray, Fall 2015)

Website ~ Blog ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads
Blondchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
saeglopur
figuring it all out

saeglopur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post
I better EMO mine up a bit!
Yes, emo it up! haha. I like that. I might have finally found a home for my edgy teen romance, but we'll see. I'm a bit sick of the paranormal to be entirely honest. I like to read about real gorgeous boys.
saeglopur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #18
TrixieLox
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondchen View Post
I think it really depends on the agent. All of the agents who I spoke to in regards to my novel said the reason they wanted to rep it was because it's not a teen high school drama, had very little romance and was non-stop adventure. I'd say, it's a personal preference on the agent's part.
Yep, my friend has this view too. She's like 'Trixie, leave your bootiful novel alone, don't pansy it up'. Ha ha! But fact is, it started with more emo angsty romance but I ramped up the action side cos of all the research I'd done which suggest that's what teens want.

We'll see huh? Thanks guys.

Follow me on Twitter
Find me on GoodReads

Robertson Davies
Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Marie

Marie is on a distinguished road
I actually would rather read books with action in them than books with romance in them, even if it's paranormal romance. Maybe it's just me, but the whole time I read Twilight I was thinking, 'make something HAPPEN already.'
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #20
TrixieLox
Benefactor Member

I think the issue with my book is that the 2 MCs get it on too quick so have been working on prolonging the friendship / delaying the first kiss and already feels tonnes better. Anyway, some other agents have it now, promised to get back to me this coming week so will see what they think.

Follow me on Twitter
Find me on GoodReads

Robertson Davies
Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #21
darkchild

it's good to know that agents vary and don't use the same mold even though I've been noticing many trends these days. there are many paranormal/romance books and due to meyer, many vampire books.