Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
oneidii
Copyediting Queen

oneidii is a glorious beacon of lightoneidii is a glorious beacon of light
Question Word count for YA?

Hello all, I was on the Novel writing board and saw something where they advise YA writers that the minimum-maximum word count is 80-100K! When I started they advised that for first time writers (and YA writers, coincidentally) the word count is somewhere between 50-70K.

What do you think? Who is right? 50-60? 60-70? 80-100? Thanks!

POSSUM SUMMER is coming. Are you ready for the possum?
oneidii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
KimJo
Outside the box, with the bunnehz

KimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for President
Most publishers whose guidelines I've looked up have minimum word lengths for YA in the range of 40,000-50,000 words. Some will take shorter (I've seen a couple with minimum lengths of 35,000 words), and there's a whole different set of rules for free-verse novels.
COMING SOON:
"Kissing Scars," short story in First Time for Everything anthology, Harmony Ink Press, 9/2014
Covenant (Dark Path 1), Jupiter Gardens, TBD

As Karenna Colcroft
My contemporary romance site- Over 18 only!
My contemporary romance library
COMING SOON:
Love Like Vampires, Dreamspinner, 7/2014
Last Chance Tattoo, Loose Id, TBD

KimJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was told once (and I don't remember who it was that told me) that 40-60K is the standard. Of course, first time authors should probably try to keep it closer to 40, where the already pubbed one might be able to get away with over 60.

I usually try to aim for 50k, some books a little more, some a little less. I think my first book (see sig) came in around 49K after editing.

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: coming from Strange Chemistry Books, September 2014. is back out on submission. Again.

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of
Christine N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
mdmkay
practical experience, FTW

mdmkay is a glorious beacon of lightmdmkay is a glorious beacon of lightmdmkay is a glorious beacon of light
The standard I use is for a short to med (I'm talking novels here) YA-55,000-70,000 and a long is 80,000 plus. Alot of depends on how complicated the story plot is and more important than any word count is that the plot moves fairly quickly and well. With a YA you don't want to go with one simple plot but one main plot that branches into several sub-plots that nicely come together at that end. It's also very important that the sub-plots relate somehow to the main plot so when everything ties together it does so in a fairly seamless way. It doesn't have to directly be part of the main theme but it has to be related to it in some way. The sub-plots can't go willy-nilly in every direction either or you lose sight of the main theme and lose the reader.
I have an imaginary friend and she thinks that yours have a problem.
mdmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm going to go for the lower limit, actually - I think minimum 25-30K, although most things are going to be quite a lot longer.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:39 AM   #6
NatashaFX

Word count for YA

Hi,

It depends on the publisher you are going to try to submit to, not whether it's your first book or not. Smooch an imprint of Dorchester has a word count of 45K max and they target teens and preteens, no swearing, no sex, romance sans sex okay etc. Think the Super What! series.

Jam is 60K max and they targer older teens and look for books that are edgier, sex, drugs and alcohol okay..think Gossip Girls, the A-list etc.

The book I'm writing can go either way but I'm leaning more towards Smooch's standards.

Both lines are actively seeking fresh material. I know several ladies who have gotten multi-book deals from both lines this year.

Good luck.

Natasha
www.NatashaFX.com
Old 06-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #7
blueiguana

I've noticed that a lot of YA SF/Fantasy tends to be longer in length - even books from 1rst time writers.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, yeah. And that's what I write, so, that's the wc I kind of go by. Actually, it's MG, so it's kind of long for that.
I like the new catagory of 10-14 year olds. You can write longer than you can for 8 yo's.

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: coming from Strange Chemistry Books, September 2014. is back out on submission. Again.

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of
Christine N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
Provrb1810meggy

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
I'm marketing my book as YA and it's 48,000 words. Only one agent rejected me based on that, saying it was too short. I believe my book would be aimed more toward the 10-14 year olds, than say the 14-18, or the 8-12.
Provrb1810meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
Grey Malkin
Moody Member

Grey Malkin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
I'm going to go for the lower limit, actually - I think minimum 25-30K
I'd say that 25-30k is very short for a YA novel. Bear in mind that kids in this age group are probably already reading adult novels, whether chick-lit or Stephen King. However, there is space in this market for those teenagers who have a low reading age, but don't want to be stuck with 8-12 age group books. If that's the case, then this audience should be considered from the outset because you're going to have to be careful with vocabulary.

I'd agree with Mdmkay up there, that it's not necessarily the word count you should worry about, but the focus of the story. Adult novels can wander here there and everywhere, have loose ends, subplots that are left and resurrected (basically, just bad writing ). YA novels require a lot more control.

I guess the best way to find out how is to read everything you can get your hands on - and not just the good stuff. We often learn more from the books that miss the mark than the trying to unravel the mysteries of the YA blockbuster.

GreyMalkin
Grey Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #11
stephblake24

stephblake24 is on a distinguished road
I am shopping a light YA/MG for ages 10 and up @ 20,000 words. Harper Collins imprint has asked for a partial.
stephblake24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Toni1953

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
When I was at the Backspace Conference a few weeks ago, agent Jenny Bent said that 50,000 words was "perfect" for a YA novel.
Coming 2014 from Berkley Prime Crime: MEOW IF ITS MURDER
The First Nick & Nora Mystery!
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote