Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Music and Songwriting
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Best Pink Floyd album?
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967) 2 6.45%
A Saucerful of Secrets (1968) 0 0%
Soundtrack from the Film More (1969) 0 0%
Ummagumma (1969) 1 3.23%
Atom Heart Mother (1970) 0 0%
Meddle (1971) 0 0%
Obscured by Clouds (1972) 0 0%
The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) 11 35.48%
Wish You Were Here (1975) 6 19.35%
Animals (1977) 2 6.45%
The Wall (1979) 7 22.58%
The Final Cut (1983) 0 0%
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987) 1 3.23%
The Division Bell (1994) 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Best Pink Floyd album.

Okay, let's up the quality a little further. I see your Neil Young thread, Rob, and I raise you a Pink Floyd thread.

Best album by the best band of all time?

I tend to fluctuate between The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon, and Wish You Were Here, depending on my mood, but I think that, ultimately, I'd go for The Wall. It's a towering acheivement. Stunning music, great guitar solos (especially Comfortably Numb), and lyrics to challenge the greatest of poets.

(PS, first time posting a poll - might go wrong). Seems to be ok.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams

Last edited by JimmyB27; 09-03-2008 at 03:40 PM.
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
alleycat
Ho Ho . . . Ack! Ack!
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wish You Were Here.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
cletus
I'm a king bee

cletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB27 View Post
I tend to fluctuate between The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon, and Wish You Were Here, depending on my mood,
I would throw Animals into the mix as well, with WYWH getting the nod.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Ageless Stranger
Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.

Ageless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for President
Dark Side of The Moon kicks penultimate ass.
"If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we shall resemble you in that."

". . .capable of such danger that the public interest demands that people should know what is going on."

-Lord Denning about Scientology.
Ageless Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
poetinahat
I'm a sickening wreck
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
...so it's the second-best album?
poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Ageless Stranger
Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.

Ageless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for PresidentAgeless Stranger should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinahat View Post
...so it's the second-best album?
Yep. The ultimate album is indisputably Violator by Depeche Mode.

Ageless Stranger, never caught out.
"If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we shall resemble you in that."

". . .capable of such danger that the public interest demands that people should know what is going on."

-Lord Denning about Scientology.
Ageless Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
regdog
Starscream
AW Moderator

Location: On Dasher, on Dancer, on Starscream. Starscream? Wait, what?
regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I like parts of Dark Side and Momentary lapse of Reason but my all time fav start to finish is The Wall. As for the movie I watch that and in some parts think dang maybe I should have been smoking what those guys were when they made this

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
poetinahat
I'm a sickening wreck
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Props to you, Ageless.

poetinahat, giving respect where it's due. (And listening to The English Beat's I Just Can't Stop It)
poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Alice.S
just ate all your candy

Alice.S is a glorious beacon of lightAlice.S is a glorious beacon of lightAlice.S is a glorious beacon of light
The Dark Side of the Moon

Alice.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was hard to choose between Animals and Wish You Were here. I had to go with the one I was addicted to longest (Animals).

Best PJ Pink Floyd cover: Interstellar Overdrive.
Devil Ledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
P.H.Delarran
here for a minute...catch me?

P.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsP.H.Delarran is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm gonna have to listen now..torn between three.
I'll be back in a day or so...

Absolute Poetry, Vol. 1 - out now

P.H.Delarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #12
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Dark Side of the Moon.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between • A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
Shadow_Ferret
Snow? Already?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pipers... everything after that started getting too commercial.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #14
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Okay, let's up the quality a little further. I see your Neil Young thread, Rob, and I raise you a Pink Floyd thread.

Best album by the best band of all time?
Abbey Road.

No, wait, what were you asking?
Quote:
I tend to fluctuate between The Wall, Dark Side of The Moon, and Wish You Were Here, depending on my mood, but I think that, ultimately, I'd go for The Wall. It's a towering acheivement. Stunning music, great guitar solos (especially Comfortably Numb), and lyrics to challenge the greatest of poets angsty teenagers.

(PS, first time posting a poll - might go wrong). Seems to be ok.
Most of the pre-Dark Side stuff was heard in retro for me, though I did hear a couple things such as Astronomy Domine on "FM underground radio" before DSOTM came out.

I think the "best" album would be a "Best Of" that includes I dunno what all exactly, but certainly both parts of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" back-to-back, as well as things from Dark Side and The Wall.
benbradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #15
smoothseas
Life sucks... Then ya die...

smoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssmoothseas is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Dark Side!!!!

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Dorothy Parker

Boredom is just the reverse side of fascination: both depend on being outside rather than inside a situation, and one leads to the other. - Arthur Schopenhauer

I fell asleep reading a dull book and dreamed I kept on reading, so I awoke from sheer boredom. - Heinrich Heine

It is only a step from boredom to disillusionment, which leads naturally to self-pity, which in turn ends in chaos. - Manly Hall
smoothseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #16
Stew21
Shotgun - no Shambo
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I really struggled with this one. I used to listen to Pink Floyd all the time.
My all time favorite has to be Wish You Were Here.

I think I listened to it most.

(though I love a lot of their other work, too, that one just spoke to me the most.)

a poem: Mississippi Churning

I'll even read it to you

POETS: add your poetry reading recordings here! Please?
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #17
robeiae
Legal Authority/Public Intellectual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wish You Were Here.

It's the Blade Runner of rock albums.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #18
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ummagumma. I'll never forget the first time I heard it. We were about ten deep in my dorm room on a rainy Saturday night, all the lights (except for the black light, natch) off, passing around a spliff, and the album was on the turntable. The next cut up was Careful With That Ax, Eugene. Very mellow tune, and we were all grooving along, when suddenly THAT guitar solo came up: loud, raucous, and sounding exactly somebody dying. With a curse and a crash my roomie knocked over his chair and tore out of the room like his hair was on fire, flapping his arms and screaming like a ten-year-old girl. The rest of us fell over laughing. Good times...

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #19
otterman
Word Voyeur

otterman is a shiny, shiny jewelotterman is a shiny, shiny jewel
Watched the Classic Albums program featuring Dark Side of the Moon, and thought one of David Gilmour's comments was interesting. After putting so much into the album he said he wished he could just put his headphones on and listen to it from beginning to end, as if he'd never heard any of it before. He knew it was a monumental achievement but, being so close to the work through the process of its creation, he was never able to enjoy the kind of sublime discovery that so many of us experienced the first time we heard the album in its entirety.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #20
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbradley View Post
I think the "best" album would be a "Best Of" that includes I dunno what all exactly, but certainly both parts of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" back-to-back, as well as things from Dark Side and The Wall.
No way. A 'best of' Pink Floyd would be the three albums I mentioned, and maybe Animals, back to back. Nothing else would do. It would be like picking your favourite author and making a 'best of' book by throwing in the best chapters from his entire library.
The smallest unit of Pink Floyd music is not the track, but the album. All of them are far greater than the sum of their parts, imho.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
Serenity
NCIS...

Location: ...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the head. :)
Serenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthoodSerenity is a candidate for sainthood
It's amazing how two words get me into a thread/board that I've never posted in before.

I loved Dark Side of the Moon. There isn't a bad track on the whole album. That's the sign of a great album to me.

I'm not so good at the advice thing. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:38 AM   #22
cletus
I'm a king bee

cletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolnesscletus leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
No way. A 'best of' Pink Floyd would be the three albums I mentioned, and maybe Animals, back to back. Nothing else would do. It would be like picking your favourite author and making a 'best of' book by throwing in the best chapters from his entire library.
The smallest unit of Pink Floyd music is not the track, but the album. All of them are far greater than the sum of their parts, imho.
What he said.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #23
Inkdaub
wrapped in plastic

Location: Past where the river bends, past where the silo stands, past where they paint the houses...
Inkdaub has a spectacular auraInkdaub has a spectacular aura
Momentary Lapse of Reason
Old 09-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #24
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
we dont need no educasion is claassic.
Very much realate to the songg.
And I suppose it shows ;-)
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #25
urbanespaceman
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

urbanespaceman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
Pipers... everything after that started getting too commercial.
Ummagumma, commercial?
urbanespaceman is offline   Reply With Quote