Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > FAQs
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
luckie13
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

luckie13 is on a distinguished road
several questions...

What are rep points?
How do I know if a publisher is ligitament?
Has anyone ever heard of RoseDog books?
Whats the easyiest way to find a literacy agent?

I don't think all of thoes questions are for this section, but whats the worst you people could do?..

Last edited by luckie13; 08-10-2008 at 06:39 AM. Reason: bad grammer
luckie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Matera the Mad
And God said, "Let there be Linux!"

Matera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tell you to check out a few other places, and use the Search
Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
sassandgroove
Sassy & Mr. Groove

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Rep points are probably explained in the faq area. (ETA- newbie section. Opps)

Check Bewares and Background Checks for the agent and publishers you want to check.

Use search for Rosa.

Welcome to AW.

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
(image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)

Last edited by sassandgroove; 08-12-2008 at 03:30 AM.
sassandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 AM   #4
regdog
Kreon Prowl and Skywarp
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
sassandgrove gave the best answers to your questions.

But dare you ask what we could do for posting in the wrong spot. Hmmm

we could steal all your rep points, we could laugh maniacally

We could refuse you popcorn

or just say welcome aboard

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Monkey
Watching Bollywood action scenes.

Monkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckie13 View Post
What are rep points?
See the little scales way down under your user name and title? Down at the bottom left-hand side of your post? If you click on those, you can leave someone a rep point. We freely give positive reps, but be VERY careful how you use the negative ones. They are only for when you feel someone has really and truly stepped over a line, not when they just have the gall to disagree with you. In the end, though, rep points don't really do very much. They are a game for some, a matter of pride for others, and meaningless to many. There's more information in the newbie's guide.

Quote:
How do I know if a publisher is ligitament?
Google them. Then check Bewares and Background Check here at AW. Then check Preditors and Editors. Then read over any offered contracts very, very carefully.

You should also know the red flags and what to avoid...things you can learn here at AW. But a very basic thing to remember is this: watch the money. If the publisher is selling primarily to the author, who can then sell to others, RUN. That will keep you away from 90% of the scams. (percentage made up on the spot, of course )

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of RoseDog books?
Did you try Google, Preditors and Editors, and Bewares and Background check? Even if I said I thought they were the best publisher in the world, do you know who I am and would you take my word for it? There's no substitute for research.

Quote:
Whats the easyiest way to find a literacy agent?
I've heard that conferences help, but the way most people get agents is by sending them a query letter. Visit the Share Your Work section and check out Query Letter Hell. It'll teach you a lot about how to get an agent.

Quote:
I don't think all of thoes questions are for this section, but whats the worst you people could do?..
Well, I could try giving you cement boots and sending you to swim with the fishies, but instead I think I'll say

Acoustic guitar. This is absolutely beautiful: https://lonneys.bandcamp.com/album/s...sis-in-spheres

Also, Decky Coss is a programmer, composer, and game designer whose work has been featured at IndieCade, Fantastic Arcade, and the NYU Game Center. She is currently the entire sound team for Cibele and the principal developer of the Lass game framework. She makes great stuff and needs a hand.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
sassandgroove
Sassy & Mr. Groove

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
See the little scales way down under your user name and title? Down at the bottom left-hand side of your post? If you click on those, you can leave someone a rep point. We freely give positive reps, but be VERY careful how you use the negative ones. They are only for when you feel someone has really and truly stepped over a line, not when they just have the gall to disagree with you. In the end, though, rep points don't really do very much. They are a game for some, a matter of pride for others, and meaningless to many. There's more information in the newbie's guide.
Well- I cherish mine. I see them as a quick way to affirm someone's post and also to say Hi.
Rather than send negative points, i have sent a Private Message to the offender or to a mod. YOu can click on the exclammation point next to the scales if it is really bad. It sends a message to a mod for you. But I've only had to do that a couple times.

Again, welcome!

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
(image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
sassandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #7
Monkey
Watching Bollywood action scenes.

Monkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I really appreciate mine, too. Even though they don't count for anything "official", to me they mean I've made a positive contribution to this group and that makes me feel good.

I think they do mean something to a lot of us, hence the taboo on neg repping.

Here's a link to the original newbie's guide, which had more detail about reps. You have to read the whole thing to get it all, though, as the stuff about reps is split up and buried. It's OK, it's all good stuff that will help you fit in here at AW.
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34886

Acoustic guitar. This is absolutely beautiful: https://lonneys.bandcamp.com/album/s...sis-in-spheres

Also, Decky Coss is a programmer, composer, and game designer whose work has been featured at IndieCade, Fantastic Arcade, and the NYU Game Center. She is currently the entire sound team for Cibele and the principal developer of the Lass game framework. She makes great stuff and needs a hand.

Last edited by Monkey; 08-12-2008 at 03:41 AM. Reason: I put "they" instead of "the". 0.o
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote