Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking > Blog Events and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
sheadakota
part of the human equation

sheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So- how does one start a blog?

Sorry if this has been covered- I couldn't find the thread if it was- Now please consider I am not very savy when it comes to anything other than word docs on the computer- Do I need to find a computer literate person to help me start one? Does it cost anything to maintain? Are things like facebook and myspace and live journal considered blogs?

Sorry for the stupid questions- but you have to start somewhere.

Re-Release of the COYOTE MOON SERIES!
Fallen available print and ebook
Through the Glass Available July 2014
The Coyote's Song- Available August 2014
Socrate's Child-COMING Summer 2015!
Broken - Winter 2015

Center of the Storm-

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease
sheadakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
ritinrider
Benefactor Member

ritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputationritinrider has a golden reputation
I can answer some of your questions, but hopefully some of the more experienced bloggers will be along to give you more, and better, advice. But know this, if I can do a blog, it's not hard and anyone with internet access can do one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheadakota View Post
Sorry if this has been covered- I couldn't find the thread if it was- Now please consider I am not very savy when it comes to anything other than word docs on the computer- Do I need to find a computer literate person to help me start one?

No, there is no need to find a 'computer literate' person to help you start one. I started one of mine late one night when I was feeling depressed, and the subject came up in the chat room. Someone said, "it's easy, just go to blogger and set up and account. " So, not having any better sense, that's what I did.

Does it cost anything to maintain? Are things like facebook and myspace and live journal considered blogs?

The only expense in maintaining a blog is time. I'm not sure if facebook, myspace, or live journal are considered blogs. Anyone?

There are no stupid questions, sometimes our world changes so fast it's hard to keep up. You're next question about blogging will probably be, "what's the best blog host?" Sorry, can't help you there, although there is a thread somewhere here in the blogging section on blog hosts. I know that two of the more popular hosts are Blogger (which I think is owned by goggle), and Wordpress. I use both, my scholarship blog, see my siggy is on wordpress, my general and playing around blog, One Woman's View, is on blogger.

Welcome to the world of blogging. Have fun.

The Blog
ritinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Jenifer
Now with extra neurotic filling.

Jenifer is well-respected
Livejournal is a blogging service. I wouldn't consider Myspace or Facebook real blogs, myself, although those sites have that feature.

I use Blogger.
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
sheadakota

sheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks Jenifer and ritinrider- I'l check out blogger and see what I can do!

Broken - Winter 2015

Center of the Storm-

My Website

Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To clear up possible confusion, blogger is also called blogspot. If you go to my blog in my sig, on blogspot.com and then click on the orange B in the upper left corner, it will go to blogger.com. Dunno why it uses two names and two domains like that, but it can be confusing. Maybe it was originally two blog sites and one bought out the other many years ago.

But anyway, there's also http://livejournal.com that you mentioned, where I have a page and made a few posts years ago. I have the impression there's a lot of political blogs there, but blogger seems to be more popular overall (at least on AW!).

They're all pretty much free (there may be "extra features" they might charge for, but you sure don't need any of those to get started, and most people never need them), and the only "maintenance" I can think of is approving moderated comments on my blog (which I have set for comments to be moderated solely to stop spammers from posting).

It's REALLY no big deal at all. Signing up on a blog site and making a blog post is just about as easy as signing up for the Absolute Write Water Cooler forums and making a forum post, and it looks like you managed to do that!

Last edited by benbradley; 07-22-2008 at 10:20 PM.
benbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Dawno
I Haz Most Wonderful Daughter EVAR
SuperModerator

Dawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheadakota View Post
Sorry if this has been covered- I couldn't find the thread if it was- Now please consider I am not very savy when it comes to anything other than word docs on the computer- Do I need to find a computer literate person to help me start one? Does it cost anything to maintain? Are things like facebook and myspace and live journal considered blogs?

You might have just not looked in the main Blogging forum - there's this thread: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105578

and this one: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103044, too.
Dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
sheadakota

Thanks Ben and Dawno! Must of missed the thread- sorry about that- lots of good info there!

Broken - Winter 2015

Center of the Storm-

My Website