Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Freelance Writing > Current Magazine Mastheads
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
JStephen
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JStephen is on a distinguished road
Fantasy & Science Fiction Mag.

Just curious to know if anyone here has been published in this magazine. I basically wanted to know if they felt it was a real challenge and how hard they had to work at it.
JStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
alleycat
I'm behaving.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have not, nor have I ever submitted anything to them. A couple of years ago I read their guidelines and as I recall they were very interested in good, "original concept" science fiction. I believe the quote was something like, "We get lots of fantasy, but never enough quality science fiction . . . " (something like that anyway).

If you've got a good story, especially if it's SF, it might be a good place to submit it.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Adam Israel
Formerly known as StoneTable
AW Moderator

Adam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputation
For a new writer breaking in, it is a fairly big challenge. They're one of the top print magazines in the industry.

You can read John Joseph Adams blog. He's the assistant editor/slush reader for them. He's posted quite a few tales from the slush over the years.

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." - Nikola Tesla
Adam Israel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Libbie
Worst song played on ugliest guitar

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've submitted to them before. I was turned down, but based on the rejection letter I got I felt that they gave my story a fair read in spite of the fact that I'd never been published before, and that their reasons for rejecting it were very sound.

I know they are pretty hungry for sci-fi, as most of what they get is fantasy and they want to present a wider selection for their readers.

It's a great magazine, highly esteemed.
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
JStephen

Well, I believe that my story is a pretty original idea. The concept of it may not be, but the presentation and actual series of events I have never seen anything like before. So, being that it's sci-fi, if I polish it enough hopefully they'll give it a go.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
Tburger
Wahoowa

Tburger is a glorious beacon of lightTburger is a glorious beacon of lightTburger is a glorious beacon of light
I submitted to them in mid May and I'm still waiting to hear back. Like everyone has said - this is the top tier of sci-fi/fantasy mags. Response time is lightning fast (typically under 2 weeks), so either they're still considering my story, or my submission (or SASE) got lost in the mail. Given that I am unpublished, it's probably the latter! Good luck with your sub!

Of course it could also be that JJA is on vacation, etc...

Last edited by Tburger; 06-08-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Tburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
Libbie
Worst song played on ugliest guitar

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it took six weeks for me to hear back from this magazine. That's certainly a lot faster than many others that consider sci-fi and fantasy. IGMS took a full fifteen weeks to get back to me with a form rejection. Yikes.
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Tburger
Wahoowa

Tburger is a glorious beacon of lightTburger is a glorious beacon of lightTburger is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbie View Post
I think it took six weeks for me to hear back from this magazine. That's certainly a lot faster than many others that consider sci-fi and fantasy. IGMS took a full fifteen weeks to get back to me with a form rejection. Yikes.

They may have been seriously considering your story. I swear that I and others have gotten most rejections from them in less than two weeks.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
JStephen

Other than F&SF and IGMS, what are some other sci-fi magazines that you guys think are worth submitting to?
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #10
Tburger
Wahoowa

I would check out www.duotrope.com - they have a great listing of all mag's, not just sci-fi. The ones I always submit to are Strange Horizons, Shimmer, Atomjack (not yet but I will), Futurismic, Jim Baen's Universe, Clarkesworld, and there are probably more. I haven't submitted yet to Asimov's or Analog yet, but intend to. Difinitely check out Duotrope.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
JStephen

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely give it a look.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #12
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbie View Post
I've submitted to them before. I was turned down, but based on the rejection letter I got I felt that they gave my story a fair read in spite of the fact that I'd never been published before, and that their reasons for rejecting it were very sound.
I had the same experience. (And, remarkably, I got my rejection in ten days.)

They were my favorite sf magazine when I was growing up; I'd love to be published by them.
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote