Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
novellabob
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

novellabob is on a distinguished road
[ePub] Astor + Blue Editions (formerly Robert Astle & Assocs Lit. Mgmt)

Hi all. Robert Astle is new on the block. He lists a few credits but I am not finding much info at all on his practices, client satisfaction, etc. Website is rather general, with all the same caveats about how to query etc. P&E lists no recorded sales despite the agent's claims to have "made a dent." Anyone had any dealings with him yet? Thanks. ~Bob.
novellabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Adding link: http://www.astleliterary.com/
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
schoonerbabe

schoonerbabe is on a distinguished road
Read his website and took a pass because his only experience seems to be 33 years in the theatre. Needs some past agenting apprenticeship or editing creds, imho. I only go with agents with track records. Good luck, Bob.
schoonerbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
wordz

wordz is on a distinguished road
hmmmm. looks like he is representing some poets on a very short list of new unpub'd clients. is that a way to start an agency? poetry is what ... 2% of market??? theater experience, poets, few clients, not many pub credits? red flags 2 me. i agree with schoonerbabe. stick with experience.
wordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
novellabob

novellabob is on a distinguished road
Thanks, schoonerbabe and wordz. The poetry client looks like she is trying to publish novels, not poetry. Astle's bio does say he has done some subsidiary rights work, plus a (brief?) stint with a New York Agency, but no company names are given. He lists three books as "forthcoming," and they are with respectable independent presses (Overlook and Sourcebooks), but I don't see any larger houses listed yet although his website is copyrighted 2006-2008. Three forthcoming books with independent publishers--that's it for two entire years of work as an agent in NYC. Has ten clients, and no actual recorded sales (I would think that these would be featured on his website). He's interested in a project of mine and offers a one year contract with a 30 day opt-out. I was rejected by about fifteen A-list agents before I stumbled across Astle, who liked my verbal pitch but the not written proposal or sample chapters. Says, too, he has sub-agents and is "training readers." Sub-agents and still no recorded sales? Looks like someone who may have some level of competency but just doesn't seem to be performing. Am I being paranoid?
novellabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
schoonerbabe

schoonerbabe is on a distinguished road
No Bob, you're not being paranoid. That's not much to show for two years. Jeff Herman advises using agents with a good track record. If his sales are that low, he is either doing something wrong or doesn't have the contacts to develop his client list.
schoonerbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
wordz

wordz is on a distinguished road
so how is he paying the rent for two years? or his subagents? (never heard of an agency with no "recorded" sales and ten clients having subagents.) agents like this usually have other income in the form of kickbacks from book doctors, rep fees, affiliated editing agencies, etc.
wordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
C.bronco
I have plans...

C.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Any new info. on this fella?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
C.bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
His PM page: http://publishersmarketplace.com/members/rappallo/

I'm not finding any new sales (reported) for him.

ETA: There's more sales on his AQ page: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=856
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
frandavea
practical experience, FTW

frandavea is on a distinguished road
He doesn't like to respond to queries, either.

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
Shaken (Echelon Press)
With the Wicked (on submission)
The Dark Ride - WIP
frandavea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
nicolesingslave
AW Addict

nicolesingslave is on a distinguished road
From the comments on him in http://querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=845
he works slow.

Here're the best comments ...
Posted by Lannie, 05/21/2009 Eight weeks w/no reply. Crossed off, into the Jerk File.
Posted by eallen99, 02/19/2009 Wow! Almost 6 months for a form rejection. Glad I wasn't waiting on him only!
nicolesingslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
amyers27
writing when not teaching

amyers27 is on a distinguished road
His AgentQuery page now lists a number of sales--thrillers, nonfiction, and literary/historical fiction.

Chain of Paper Stars (new title):Young adult fiction. Goal: 60K by September 2, 2009. (18K in)
amyers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
rathhaven

rathhaven is on a distinguished road
Got a request for 50 pages from his assistant Rayna Erlick. She gives great feedback.
rathhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:13 AM   #14
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathhaven View Post
Got a request for 50 pages from his assistant Rayna Erlick. She gives great feedback.
If you don't mind my asking, rathhaven, how do you know she gives great feedback...if you just got the request yesterday?

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #15
egtalbot
Heroes don't always win

egtalbot is on a distinguished road
A search on Amazon for "Robert Astle" turned up a number of entries with authors thanking him as the agent.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
I sent a query to Mr. Astle last week, got a request for a partial on Tuesday of this week (from his assistant), and just received my rejection today. So the turnaround time on the query was less than a week, and only three days on the partial. At least it was quick, if not the response I would have liked.

P.S. Mr. Astle's assistant did give some very personalized feedback in her rejection, which is always nice. Frustrating when it doesn't correspond to what other agents have said, but nice nonetheless.

www.kristavandolzer.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
tracythewriter
practical experience, FTW

tracythewriter is a glorious beacon of lighttracythewriter is a glorious beacon of lighttracythewriter is a glorious beacon of light
I sent in a query for a YA book on 2/3 and a request for a partial on the 16th from Rayna Erlick, his assistant. I believe she may be building her own client list too, but not sure. I haven't heard back on my partial yet, but I've got my fingers crossed that they want to see more.
tracythewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #18
Stikan

Stikan is on a distinguished road
Rayna has a blog if interested:

http://raynareads.blogspot.com/

Her internship with Robert Astle just ended this past December. He's letting her stay at the agency for a while as she starts to build her client list.

Last edited by Stikan; 03-09-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Stikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 AM   #19
Stikan

Quote:
Originally Posted by egtalbot View Post
A search on Amazon for "Robert Astle" turned up a number of entries with authors thanking him as the agent.
How do you search that on Amazon? I tried and can't figure it out.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got a request for the first 50 pages too. I only sent going off of what others have said here, though I was a little bothered by theatre being his major experience. He doesn't have a dollar sign next to his name, but does have some sales on pm.

But for agents that don't have the dollar sign next to their name on PandE, is that considered 'ok' or is it a bad sign?

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
Stikan

I'm not sure if the dollar sign it's OK or not, but I'd say it's better. What bothered me also was Rayna's twitter said she was onerly and the author didn't have her by page ten, she was rejecting it, though she feared that she was rejecting it due to her orneriness. Just seemed a little unprofessional to me.

Edited: Just got my R from my partial with some suggestions.

http://www.stinakanaris.com
Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry about the R, Stikan.

But what does 'onerly' mean exactly? Is that a word?

*Now available.*

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #23
Stikan

Haha, I had to look it up on Google myself. It means she was irritable and stubborn. In layman's terms, she was cranky. ;-)

Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #24
Roly
silly puppy monster

Okay, but one thing I learned from Nathan Bransford is that agents are people, (and warned against doing certain submission stuff wrong so as to not make the agent cranky while reading your stuff). Personally, I think crankiness only becomes a factor when the agent really is on the fence about the manuscript in the first place, but again you never know. Plus just because agents don't say so on twitter or on their blogs doesn't mean they don't go through and reject stuff for similar reasons.

The whole thing, sadly, is a crapshoot

But what I'm more concerned about with these people is experience, connection and sales.

*Now available.*

My twitter is real.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #25
Stikan

Agreed 100%. You just got to take it for what it is, and keep going!

Experience, connections and sales are key. I like to be able to type in the agent's name in Google and have a bunch of stuff such as interviews, blogs and the like come up about them.

Good luck on your partial! She gets back to you fast and do keep me posted! :-)