Virus warnings popping up on AW?

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Lately (in the last week or so), when I log into the AW forum and surf around, my virus detector has been going nuts. I keep getting a little pop-up from Avira saying it's detecting viruses while I'm navigating this site. Just wanted to let everyone know, since I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. And if this isn't the right place to post this, could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Norton tells me AW is safe, but that's no guarantee.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably already on your PC, or false positives.

PM Medievalist or use the Contact form; they won't want to wait to find the post here.

If you need help getting rid of anything, give a holler :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
There were threads discussing similar problems around this time last month... it may be a Google ads issue... take a peek at this post from Medievalist.

PS - edited thread title from "Viruses popping up on AW?" to "Virus warnings popping up on AW?"

-Derek

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't I remember something very like this addressed perhaps a month ago, that some people's antivirus software was identifying certain legitimate ads as viruses? You might want to scan the subject lines for similar issues.

Maryn, muzzy but remembering a little

Edit: Eek, dpaterson is in my brain!

Deleted member 42

It's really not on this site; you may be getting a false positive because of the Google ads that support the site, or you may be getting a delayed notification related to something already in your cache.

In a couple of cases I've been able to track down a warning that was caused by something in someone's sig causing a false positive.

I could probably tell you more if your warning includes a specific warning.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this thread, TJ. Thanks.

It's just really sad that a corporation doesn't have as good an anti-virus as I have at home, y'know.

Thanks!

Deleted member 42

Saw this thread, TJ. Thanks.

It's just really sad that a corporation doesn't have as good an anti-virus as I have at home, y'know.

Thanks!

They can get pretty decent free software.

At the very least, the IT people should not let ANYONE run as Admin.