"The first criterion is linguistic..."

arabajyo

Registered
Reaction score
Is that grammatically correct? Word greened it for some reason, citing "adjective use."

arabajyo

Registered
Reaction score
The first criterion is linguistic and covers the use of words and phrases, while the second criterion is non-linguistic and relies on the type of diction and pronunciation that is used.

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
I guess the reason why it's underlined in green by Word is because linguistic is an adjective that refers to something else.

Something that would be grammatically correct would be "linguistic achievement" because it actually refers to something.

EDIT: am I making sense? I feel like I'm not making sense.

Last edited:

arabajyo

Registered
Reaction score
but a sentence like "the second car is ugly" is (at least to me) pretty obviously grammatically correct. isn't "the first criterion is linguistic" analogous to "the second car is ugly?"

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
but a sentence like "the second car is ugly" is (at least to me) pretty obviously grammatically correct. isn't "the first criterion is linguistic" analogous to "the second car is ugly?"

Hmm, I see your point, but I don't think you mean to describe the criterion itself as linguistic. I think that you're describing a criterion that involves some sort of linguistic element.

If you think about your own example, you might think that a car is ugly because a car can have aesthetic qualities, but a criterion cannot have human qualities. Unless you are trying to personify the criterion by calling it "linguistic" and therefore capable of language, I would say it is likely grammatically incorrect.

arabajyo

Registered
Reaction score
wow that's deep :) thanks for the response.

but the definition of linguistic is "of language: relating to language or languages." a criterion could relate to language, right?

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Is that grammatically correct? Word greened it for some reason, citing "adjective use."

It's an adjective; since it's referencing 'criterion', it should be correct... Not sure what program you're using, but if it's the MS Word grammar function I'd recommend switching it off :D

Imbroglio

Registered
Reaction score
It's an adjective; since it's referencing 'criterion', it should be correct... Not sure what program you're using, but if it's the MS Word grammar function I'd recommend switching it off :D

Ah, yes, now that I think about it, the word "linguistic" as an adjective for "criterion" functions here more like a title than an actual descriptor of the noun. So it makes sense in its context.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Turn off Word's grammar check. It'll drive you crazy and it's wrong more often than not.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The first criterion is linguistic and covers the use of words and phrases, while the second criterion is non-linguistic and relies on the type of diction and pronunciation that is used.

The grammar is fine, but your sentence doesn't make sense to me. If the second criterion involves diction and pronunciation it's clearly also linguistic. What is it that you mean to say?

arabajyo

Registered
Reaction score
The grammar is fine, but your sentence doesn't make sense to me. If the second criterion involves diction and pronunciation it's clearly also linguistic. What is it that you mean to say?

Hmm... I agree. It would be simpler to take the word "linguistic" out of that sentence completely.