Ray's House of Love (Volume II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Neuro. Hubby and I had a good time at the fair. Hope everybody else had a good day.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
I did finally hear a pause and yelled at him to turn it down. He got somewhat huffy.

Silly Mr. Maryn! He's lucky I love him, or I'd have to do him harm.

Maryn, not harmless

Sorry for the delayed reaction, but this made me think of my new favorite funny song, It's Hard to Kiss the Lips at Night that chew your ass out all day long. http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=pjkLf_X88WM&vq=medium (Funny even if you don't much care for C&W.)

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are we seeing an unusual number of thread-starters getting pissy about responses in the thread when those responses either counter the OP's comment or present a blunt-but-meaningful response? Are these people going to be able to hold up to an honest crit of their work? I think I remember one person stating outright that a number of older AWers are rude and tend to gang up on newbies. Are we just seeing a number of delicate flowers or are we getting more crochety in our posts?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It looks to me like delicate newbies who are used to being the smartest or best-spoken person in the room and find that's not even close to true here.

Mac has mentioned that AW has more than a hundred new members per day now. Wow, huh? That some are special snowflakes is inevitable, and maybe we're seeing it more simply because there are more of us.

Maryn, away from home

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It must increase the workload of the Mods. Thank you, Maryn, and to all of the other moderators out there.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey House
Sorry Ive been MIA for awhile...been a busy bee. So to recap..photobucket...I have one but I cant link you to it since Im on the kindle...but if youre curious about the kind of art Pandora does just google cpaigemcd My photobucket pageis the first result. Theres a bunch of photoshop art and some of my painting and charcoal work...I think theres some watercolor on there too. Ask Grr lol she saw it.

Kids parties...yeah..I do think its a little odd to invite the parents but I can see why the adults would like to party too.
Boston....liked it. Went there when I was working on the cruise ships. Saw the sights. walked the historical line. It was November though so I remember being very chilly.
It was odd having that twister the other day Fizz! I lived in KS a few years back so it didnt freak me out butit felt a bit weird. Like..wait..no Im in Nc not KS. Whats the tornado doing here? lol

Sass...when in march..my bday is the 22nd...

and I think Im all caught up.
Peace love and all the rest

The thing about it is though, Mr. Groove and I aren't parents. THat is what is weird to me. I don't have a problem with parents, how else is the kid supposed to get to the party? Why do people think I - a doggie parent - want to go to their 4 yr old's party?

Sass- whose birthday is March 30 :)

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are we seeing an unusual number of thread-starters getting pissy about responses in the thread when those responses either counter the OP's comment or present a blunt-but-meaningful response? Are these people going to be able to hold up to an honest crit of their work? I think I remember one person stating outright that a number of older AWers are rude and tend to gang up on newbies. Are we just seeing a number of delicate flowers or are we getting more crochety in our posts?
I don't think it's just you, Fizz, as I notice it, too. But, I'm so accustomed to seeing it all over the internet and in life in general these days, I guess I hadn't given much thought to it being particularly unusual here. Maybe it's just the nature of getting older; it's practically the cliche battle cry of older generations to say, "Things just aren't like they were in the good ol' days."

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Sass, that is truly weird. As a childless grownup, I can't fathom why I would want to be at a children's party if my own children (nieces and nephews, OK) weren't guests. Of course, I am a big ugly guy and people make...assumptions so no one invites me. :(
:D

So, a weird weekend for me. Getting script #7 ready to go to the copyright office, and then hit the crit and query trail. And I went to see another board friend's play in NYC - he packed the historic LaMama's theater downtown, and brought the house down. It's playing again on Wednesday, just sayin'. On the other hand, I got screwed by J & R's, so I currently have no tablet, and I'm having issues with my cell provider too. My devices are turning on me!

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sorry about your devices.

I've been gong to phys therapy for my bursits/arthritis in my hips. it seems to be helping, but I am spent after today's session.

My husband just called me a Nancy Girl because I don't want to see "Priest."

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
To all you non-parents, as a parent and a man, I can assure you I've attended many children's birthday parties.

flea23

thewordmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fleaflyfloo.blogspot.com

If one can't take an honest crit, he/she shouldn't post. That's the only way to improve writing. Posters forget that crits are just one persons opinion. Two mods might even disagree with each other. It is up to the poster to take or leave whatever. I don't post very much for crits because I know my weaknesses, not that I'm afraid of what others might say.

I was in a physical writer's group once. One lady could tear up the best manuscript and red line it so that it often made some people cry. Just as often, she would hug that person and say, "It's better that I do it than you be rejected time and again for something that's never going to work. But in the end, it's just my opinion." I loved her to death.

True, some people can be rude, but then sometimes it is very hard to say "this really stinks" and be nice about it. To survive as a writer (even as I have, without pay) for long, one absolutely must develop thick skin and realize that it is not the poster under attack, but the writing is under inspection. Take the crits and learn, and decide whether to take the advice or keep doing what you're doing.

I keep doing the best I can. I'm constantly rewriting, even things I wrote 50 years ago. My writings are not sacred. If I decide it will help, I'll change in a heartbeat. Each piece should be able to stand alone. If it takes apologetics, then the writing needs to be redone. Apologetics cannot be sent to an editor, or bought by the public.

I hope no one thinks I'm preaching.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I saw the trailer for Priest - didn't look like all that. But I love, and write, vampire stories and movies too. Looking forward to my October Hammer fest!

I always preface both my crits and general observations by saying that Hey, it's my opinion and maybe I'm wrong. And I've been attacked for saying that, e.g. "if you don't know, then you should shut up." People here are way nicer than anyone you'll meet outside - people out on the internets, and people in power, are unafraid to tell you to give up because you suck. And even if you do suck, that's wrong, but that's how people are.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
I'm constantly rewriting, even things I wrote 50 years ago.
Ha! The stuff I wrote fifty years ago is most in need of rewrites. I've gotten better. Hopefully, so have you.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
To look at how much improvement is possible read Have Spacesuit Will Travel by Robert Heinlein and then look at his first attempt, For Us the Living.

flea23

thewordmaster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fleaflyfloo.blogspot.com
Right you are Russ. I have indeed gotten better. Still, I'll not say I'm that good. I've just gotten to where I don't care what people think instead of being far too shy to let anyone see - i think "what the hey, I'm gonna do it anyway - It's who I am, and what I do."

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Irene has the Carolinas in her sights, and she could be a big one. If we all blow real hard and make enough noise, maybe she'll bend out to sea before Saturday's predicted arrival.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm not exactly the blow-hard type, but I'll do my best, Fizz. I assume you have a go bag and the means to batten down the house? You seem like a guy who isn't going to need to buy plywood and gasoline last minute.

Maryn, alone for the first time in many days

Status
Not open for further replies.