Status
Not open for further replies.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I co-ghostwrote a memoir called BELONGING by Sameem Ali. Sam was forced into marriage at age 13, had her first child at age 14, and ran away when she discovered her family was beating her son, knowing that they would hunt her down and try to kill her. Which they did...try, that is, obviously. :)

The book was very successful, and Sam now has a pretty big platform on the topic of forced marriage. She's very involved with the Forced Marriage Unit here in the UK, and last month, a documentary about forced marriage aired that included a segment on Sam.

If you've seen the breaking news tonight, three women have been rescued after 30 years of domestic slavery in London. And the thing that inspired them to make the call for help was....last month's forced marriage documentary!

HOW FREAKING COOL IS THAT??!!!

My part in the story is indirect and small, but you simply can't imagine how good I feel tonight.

Here are links to the story:

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25040741

CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/21/world/europe/uk-captivity-arrests/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terie, congratulations and thank you! for your instrumental part in this drama of liberation. I saw the articles about the three women today and that the key phone call made by one of them was inspired by that television broadcast.

How very cool to learn that you had a part in this.

:)

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Absolutely wonderful. It's amazing to think of the real-world impact that our work can have. :)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
That is beautiful! And how wonderful that you were a part of this! :)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. That is amazing. Congratulations!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Utterly gobsmacked!

I saw that on the news and, wow, that is an incredible story. Must feel great to have been even a small part of it. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
How amazing! Thanks for sharing this with us. A good reminder that our words can have an effect on others, whether we realize it or whether it happens years down the road.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
As was the work of the charity.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments.

I'm just quoting this one cuz, really, their part was much bigger and more important than mine. I'm just a bit of colour in the background; the women are the main story, and the charity and those who work for it are the real stars.

Still, it's really grand to be a bit of colour in the background.

Also, this isn't the first 'rescue' related to the book, it's just the only one I know of to hit the news....and boy, did it hit the news in a big way! Ever since the book was released, young people (mostly women but a few men) have contacted Sam to let her know that reading her book gave them the courage to leave an abusive or forced marriage, engagement, or relationship. As a matter of fact, we've just started work in the past few weeks on a follow-up book. Talk about timely!

It's a really huge thing to know that something you've written has had such a dramatic effect on another person's life.

bookworm92

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! It's wonderful to know that someone's writing can have such an impact on people's lives!

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
Amazing work from you, the charity and those poor women. Well done.

WaveHopper

Registered
Reaction score
That's amazing. I'd imagine that the influence of the book is rippling wider than we (the public) will know.

butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
...My part in the story is indirect and small...

Don't underestimate your part - you really don't know which group of words it was that gave them the courage to call. You have started a movement of significant consequence, that is something to be proud of. Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.