Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
aliceshortcake
Wilde about Oscar

aliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for Presidentaliceshortcake should run for President
Two more Enslow imprints due to launch next year:

Quote:
Scarlet Voyage’s mission is to provide excellent YA Fiction for young adults! We are looking for authors who can write content which appeals to teen reader’s interests. We can help authors create and market fiction books that are unique, literary, and entertaining for YA readers.
http://www.scarletvoyage.com/
Quote:
Jasmine Health is currently seeking nonfiction manuscripts or queries. We are looking for quality nonfiction on the following topics: health, self-help, well-being, healthy eating and nutrition, mental health, and personal development.
http://www.jasminehealth.com/
aliceshortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #27
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks Alice, I just submitted to the YA imprint and I am still not completely sure all my stuff went through. Has anyone else been having problems submitting?

Disconnected
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
hester
New year, new avatar.

hester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admiration
I just subbed now, and received a brief message (not via e-mail--this was actually on the page showing the submitted materials) that they'd been uploaded successfully.

Crossables crossed for everyone!!

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #29
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Did you upload in .doc or something else?

Disconnected
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #30
hester
New year, new avatar.

hester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admiration
Hi Undercover! It was in .doc.

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
Undercover
I got it covered

Thanks. I want to try it again but this would be my third time. My luck they'll all go through making me look like a nutcase.

Disconnected
Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #32
Undercover
I got it covered

Well, I tried it again, a few times and I never got "uploaded successfully" or anything like that. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's really buggin me.

Disconnected
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #33
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, undercover, you're having the same problem I had trying to upload my book to MP. It just didn't work. I HATE forms!!
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #34
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey guys. I called Enslow's 800 Customer Service number on their website, and they put me in touch with someone who told me to send the MS over email. If all of you call, that will get the point across that they need to fix it more effectively than me putting out this guy's email and flooding his inbox.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #35
Undercover
I got it covered

Well, I called the 908 number, twice during the week, to the same girl apparently. The first time she said she'd have someone get back to me. Then nothing so I called again and the second time she rushed me off the phone.

I called the 1-800 and talked to customer service and she said to just send it to customer service, which I found odd. I asked her are you sure? I don't have to send it attention to someone specific? She said no.

Well I sent it to customer service, but I don't think that was the right idea. Chris, she never mentioned someone specific, so you're lucky that way.

Disconnected
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #36
Chris P

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The sig block of the email I got indicated this was the IT manager, who said he would forward it to the proper people. I'll send him another email saying others are having similar submission issues.

Last edited by Chris P; 02-01-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #37
Chris P

Hester - I got the "upload successful" text too, but Enslow said although they had my info, there was no manuscript.

I'll let you all know if I get a response from my latest email.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
hester
New year, new avatar.

Chris, thanks so much for the update! I'm thinking the issue may be on their end, since so many people are having trouble getting their manuscripts to "take."

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #39
Undercover
I got it covered

Yeah, Chris, let us know if you hear something. I'm sure we're not the only ones complaining about the submission forms.

The girl on the 1-800 number just said the customer service email right away. I would have liked to hear something like, "Oh, yeah, we've been having problems with this."

I just have a bad feeling my ms. won't go to the right place. I would have felt better if it was someone specific, perferrably someone in the editing department.

Disconnected
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #40
Undercover
I got it covered

I never was so happy to receive an email confirmation that my manuscript got to the right place till now. I was having problems with the online form so I called and talked to someone in customer service. She gave me the customer service's email and I did it leary if it would get to the right place.

Submission sent Feb 1, 2013
Confirmation the ms. was received: Feb 5, 2013

Now the wait. But at least I know it's where it should be.

Disconnected
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #41
Chris P

Great news, Undercover! Now comes the waiting. The website says they want to start publishing later this year, but who knows what lead time them have. They might have a full plate until well into next year, but at least the right thing has happened to get it where it needs to go.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #42
Undercover
I got it covered

Thanks, Chris. Did you get confirmation from Speeding Star yet? I remember you mentioning having problems too.

Disconnected
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #43
Chris P

No, since they allowed me to send it via email directly. Since they replied to the followup about the website issues, I know the email they gave me is good. Hopefully the recent successes are a result of the issue being fixed.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #44
Chris P

Well, I know they got mine, as "unfortunately, it does not fit our publishing plan at this time."

Best of luck to all of you who submitted!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #45
twasadark
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

twasadark is on a distinguished road
Response time?

I just submitted my fantasy adventure novel to Scarlet Voyage. Keeping my fingers crossed. Can anyone share how long before they received a response?

Enslow is well-known for their educational materials. That's how I found out about these new imprints - looking for freelance educational markets, since that's how I make most of my bucks.

Author, Necropolis
http://www.xcpublishing.net
twasadark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #46
Undercover
I got it covered

Sent to Scarlet Voyage on Feb 1st, got a rejection Mar. 3rd. So about a month. I was bummed out when I got it, but oh well, can't win um all.

Disconnected
Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #47
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
Sent to Scarlet Voyage on Feb 1st, got a rejection Mar. 3rd. So about a month. I was bummed out when I got it, but oh well, can't win um all.
I got an R on Feb 13th--and it took about a month. Then I sent another sub in on 3-24. So another wait.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #48
hester
New year, new avatar.

Sorry for the R's, guys!

I subbed on 1/29/13 and never heard back--maybe I'll shoot over an e-mail to make sure they received it.

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #49
twasadark
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

twasadark is on a distinguished road
Thanks, everyone, for your replies! I'll let you know what happens ... rejections sure do suck, don't they?

Author, Necropolis
http://www.xcpublishing.net
twasadark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #50
hester
New year, new avatar.

I sent a quick nudge at the end of March through the customer service portal, just to make sure they received my sub. On April 2nd, they got back to me saying they'd received it and it was still under consideration.

Let the nail biting and e-mail refreshing commence!

ETA good luck to everyone with subs out, and (((hugs))) for those who've received R's...

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.

Last edited by hester; 04-18-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something.