Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
metamemoir
Banned

metamemoir is on a distinguished road
Does blogging about your writing help your writing?

I'm writing this memoir and i'm having trouble with it. i was thinking of blogging just about the writing process in order to help work out the kinks. what do you think?
metamemoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Sunflowerrei
practical experience, FTW

Sunflowerrei is a shiny, shiny jewelSunflowerrei is a shiny, shiny jewel
That's basically what my blog is...my spot to post stuff I've found researching or something new I've realized about my writing process or something or other about writing my story (not the story itself). It's interesting to read past posts and see how an idea developed. Plus, I always find that blogging a problem I have with writing makes me see things differently and I can work it out. And who knows, by blogging about it, you might help another writer who comes across your post.

The Keegans of Banner's Edge WIP: Historical fiction. 1799 Barbados, 1800-1801 Britain.
96,000 words. Querying.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
JadeVarden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JadeVarden is on a distinguished road
I say go for it. Maybe it will help you with your process. If not, you can always blog about something else.
JadeVarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamemoir View Post
I'm writing this memoir and i'm having trouble with it. i was thinking of blogging just about the writing process in order to help work out the kinks. what do you think?
Just had a look at your wordpress. I so want to read metamemoir now... It's like memoir, but with added meta! I mean - how amazing is that?? You are so the total definition of impending media darling - you really are: and you're totes going to deserve that seven figure advance. And the film percentages - and the merchandising.

Colour me fangirl.

*sighs and swoons*

ETA: I'm not sure if you really need to write it, now. You've invented it.

Last edited by mccardey; 01-05-2013 at 04:42 PM.
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
As a teacher I am, of course, a reflective practitioner. What's that? Well, it's a new fangled thing that teachers now have to do which basically means you do a lesson and then you write an evaluation of that lesson and discuss where it went right and where it went wrong. Then you follow up by stating how you will improve your lesson next time. it is supposed to be a career long thing but I've not seen it much in many more experienced teachers so I guess they just lose the habit or get too busy to bother...

Why is this relevant to blogging? Well, you can see your blog as your reflective journal. Writing can benefit from reflective practise too. You can discuss what went right and what went wrong and endeavour to correct it in later projects. It's a way of organising thoughts and giving you a clearer idea of what direction you want to go in.

I do some of that in my blog, though it is not the only thing I use it for. I have, for example, talked about the word count motivation method I used a couple of years back to get me writing more regularly and my thoughts on my involvement in NaNoWriMo. I might not make it everything a blog is about, however, as that can be a little monotonous for some to read. Though that may depend on how personal some of the things you talk about are - if they have universal appeal (i.e. methods that others may want to try) then you may be on stronger ground.
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Samball49

Samball49 is on a distinguished road
I created my blog/website for the purpose of helping my writing and I think that it has improved dramatically!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Walter B
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Walter B is on a distinguished road
Great idea-one caution. Don't let it become a great way to avoid the actual writing.
Walter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A fair number of writers use blogging as a free-writing or "warm up" exercise before turning to their book. But if you're going to do that, I suggest creating some structure/time limits for each post/the blog.

Sometimes it's useful to blog around the edges of the thing you're writing about, too.

For me, when I first started blogging I was writing in two other very constrained ways; one was my dissertation, one was my job as a technologist. Blogging helped me transition between two very different sets of rhetorical strategies, purposes, styles, and audiences.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Trevor Z
Learning About New Fish

Trevor Z is on a distinguished road
I find it can help me work through odd bits.

It's a bit more of a free form style of writing, where I can just chat about things to the universe. Sometimes the universe replies, most of the time it doesn't, but I tend to reach some sort of conclusion either way.

Also, it's kind of fun to watch spikes in traffic on the days you update new posts. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside to know there are a few strange souls out there who want to listen to me babble.
Trevor Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
KSavoie

KSavoie is on a distinguished road
If for nothing else, my blog helps me get excited about my novel again. When I talk about it it makes me go, "Oh! I can't wait to write more!" It sounds stupid but it works haha.

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
Here's my twitter!

YA Fantasy Apocalyptic - Trunked
YA LGBT Contemporary -- Beta-ing/Revision Round 3
YA LGBT Speculative Fiction-Planning for Nano
KSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Cappy1
Scared and loving it...

Cappy1 is on a distinguished road
Different things help different people. Doing something entirely different helps me filter ideas. It's as if by not thinking about it, my mind works better.
Cappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #12
Susan Anwin
deep blue electric angel

Susan Anwin is on a distinguished road
no, actually I hate blogging, I just opened it because everyone was going on about how you should have a blog if you are a writer. Peer pressure I guess
Susan Anwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #13
JimHeskett
Writers gon write.

JimHeskett is well-respected
blogging is a great way to keep the pen sharp and build a platform. don't expect it to turn into literal book sales, though.
JimHeskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #14
Petros
figuring it all out

Petros is on a distinguished road
Full disclosure, I haven't started a blog for my writing yet, but one thought struck me as I read this thread.

When you blog about the writing process as you write your book, it can reduce the distance between reader and writer. That's a good thing, of course, but if you're creating a story which has surprises and plot twists, wouldn't revealing big plot points detract from the impact of the story when it's released as a book?

http://petrosjordan.wordpress.com
Petros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #15
pyrosama
Pyrosama

pyrosama is on a distinguished road
If you maintain a blog, you have a good chance of attracting readers who would follow your writing. It's the best way to build a platform while you're writing your book.

Every so often, a novelist should bring up the fact they are writing a novel and they may even include some snippets from their novel. Though, I wouldn't suggest a chapter by chapter sharing of your work in a blog.

Are We There Yet?

Facebook and Twitter
pyrosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #16
MissyLaRae
Total Newbie

MissyLaRae is well-respected
Blogging for a memoir

I have like 4 blogs. One everyone sees. One some people see, and two are personal that I just write on when I want to curse and scream and totally act like a juvenile.

I think blogging can help your creative process, but you really need to be careful what you put on a public platform such as blogging, especially if you're going to try and publish traditionally.

If you put the whole story out there, what's the point of an agent picking it up?

Available: The Sword & The Prophet | i am the sum of all my fears

Completed:
Mama's Girl 40,000 Upper Middle Grade
Chasing Charity 85,000 Erotic Romance
MissyLaRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #17
Robert Gonko

Robert Gonko is on a distinguished road
Putting progress reports on my blog has helped me keep writing. When I post about how I'm doing on a particular project, I feel like I have really committed to doing it and and thus push harder to get it done.
Print edition available from CreateSpace
WIP: "Sniper"

Check out my blog: http://robertgonko.wordpress.com
Robert Gonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
Lady Cat
Cat slave extraordinaire!

Lady Cat is a glorious beacon of lightLady Cat is a glorious beacon of light
I think blogging about your writing experience will definitely help work out the kinks.

It's a great way of bouncing ideas around or sharing some of the interesting research you've done. And as pyrosama said, it's a great way to build a platform.

My Blog: http://randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.ca
Find my books here: http://randomwriterlythoughts.blogsp.../my-books.html
Lady Cat is offline   Reply With Quote