Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
summerb
practical experience, FTW

summerb is on a distinguished road
Misnomers, figures of speech, colloquialisms...

So I had a brilliant (in my head, at least) idea for a new MG novel. I need to think of lots of figures of speech that could be funny if taken literally. Can you guys help me brainstorm? Here's what I have so far

raining cats and dogs
couch potato
do you think money grows on trees?
grammar police
when pigs fly
a little birdie told me
cat got your tongue
in a pickle
cat out of the bag
lose your marbles
kick the bucket
break a leg
jellyfish
starfish
funnybone
fireflies
ladybugs
butterflies in the stomach
if it was a snake, it would have bitten you

That last one was one my mom used to say, not sure how common it is Thanks for any ideas, guys!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
If you're thinking of making a novel where these things literally happen, be aware that some have been done before in the form of jokes, short stories and sketches on TV shows. Otherwise, have fun!

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
summerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBrett View Post
If you're thinking of making a novel where these things literally happen, be aware that some have been done before in the form of jokes, short stories and sketches on TV shows. Otherwise, have fun!
Hi David! Thanks for the advice - if you can give me any concrete examples, that would also be helpful - Obviously it's not a completely unique concept, but I think my idea is different enough to make it work If not, it will still be a hell of a lot of fun to write, so maybe I'll just consider it a writing exercise.

Again, if you have any examples that you think are too big to bear repeating (e.g. jumping to conclusions in Phantom Tollbooth) please let me know those too!

Thank!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
ucf612

ucf612 is well-respected
There is a PB called PARTS (and MORE PARTS and EVEN MORE PARTS). They are all about a kid misunderstanding those figures of speech. My 5-year-old cracks up at it.

Not sure if this is something you mean but my grandpa used to say "What's this we? You got a frog in your pocket?"
MG Future WIP - P.R.A.E. - Planning
ucf612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Have you read the Amelia Bedelia books? It's a series about a maid who always gets into trouble for taking things literally. Puts real sponges in her sponge cake, etc.

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The entire Magic of Xanth series (by Piers Anthony) is built around puns of common words and phrases. A night mare is an actual horse that brings bad dreams. A shoe tree is an actual tree which grows shoes. That sort of thing.

The series is very well known, and you should be familiar with it. If nothing else, you should read the first in the 27-book series: A Spell For Chameleon.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
summerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaJG View Post
Have you read the Amelia Bedelia books? It's a series about a maid who always gets into trouble for taking things literally. Puts real sponges in her sponge cake, etc.
Ahhh, I DO remember Amelia Bedelia I used to love those books. If I remember right, a lot of her language is pretty dated, but I'll have to check them out from our library to refresh my memory.

Roger, actually I haven't read those, thank you!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
jack lee
figuring it all out

jack lee is on a distinguished road
if it was a snake, it would have bitten you
your mum is right, he tells truth in simple words and it is effective. very easy to understand. we might have to learn from your mother
jack lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
MsJudy

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My mom said the same thing, only it was a bear that would've bitten you

Teaching second-language learners and very literal-minded kids on the autism spectrum has made me realize how many of these we use.

Me: See, I told you this would be a piece of cake!
Kid: after waiting a few moments: Ms. Judy, can we have the cake now?

Me: Just wait a minute while I finish this...
Kid: counts to 60: Okay, now it's my turn.

Another book that uses some of these confusions is Ramona the Pest. I remember on her first day of kindergarten, her teacher says they might change the seats later, but "for the present" Ramona can sit in this one. Then Ramona won't leave the chair because she's waiting for her present.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJudy View Post
My mom said the same thing, only it was a bear that would've bitten you

Teaching second-language learners and very literal-minded kids on the autism spectrum has made me realize how many of these we use.

Another book that uses some of these confusions is Ramona the Pest. I remember on her first day of kindergarten, her teacher says they might change the seats later, but "for the present" Ramona can sit in this one. Then Ramona won't leave the chair because she's waiting for her present.
My mom said "snake."

So true about the literal thinkers. Finally figured out why one little darling always wrote his name too low, so the letters were half above/half below the line. It's because I said, "Write your name ON the line." So he put the letters, quite literally, ON the line. Now I say, "Write your name above the line," and he does it correctly.

Ramona has some great examples of this kind of thinking. She puzzled over the song about the "Dawnzer Lee Light," which she assumed to be a sort of lamp. And once she was late for school because she was told to leave at a quarter after, and, knowing a quarter was 25 cents, she left at 25 after.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
ucf612

ucf612 is well-respected
my mom always said the snake one.

Also "if your head wasn't attached"
MG Future WIP - P.R.A.E. - Planning
ucf612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolness
My mother also said, "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach."

My dad would say, "I'll get the iron out of the stable," when getting the car out of the garage.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
Britwriter

Britwriter is well-respected
Oh, I love the Ramona story where she throws a fit about the PTA, which she assumes is a bag of chips or something else yummy and therefore forbidden, because her parents always spell things out if they don't want her to have them.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
ChristineJ
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ChristineJ is on a distinguished road
Probably not really helpful for the original poster, but thinking of literal thinkers reminded me that it wasn't until he was almost six that my son could get through his head that it was still Sunday even if it was cloudy.
ChristineJ is offline   Reply With Quote