Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > General Publishing Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #751
Anjasa
Fantasy Smut? Yes please!

Anjasa is on a distinguished road
Went from selling 5 copies of our books in December to selling almost 90 copies in January Plus we've received 2 reviews (one on smashwords, one on amazon), and more interaction on Goodreads.

This is pretty thrilling to me, as I tend to be very focused and driven on success and always feel I'm not doing enough. It's important for me to sit back and recognize that there is improvement.

(Also, I'm really excited a few people have bought Outcast. It's our longest story currently published and one I feel super fond towards and was afraid it wouldn't interest most people because of the subject matter.)

Anjasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #752
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Great news, Anjasa!

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #753
NottiThistledore
figuring it all out

NottiThistledore is on a distinguished road
Congratulations, everyone!

A Frightful Recipe is my first self-pub attempt, so it's taking a little while to get the ball rolling. I've had a half dozen ebook sales since putting it up a fortnight or so ago, and was pleasantly surprised to see that I'd sold the same amount in print format.

I wasn't expecting many (if any) print sales at all, but wonder if the fact that my books are illustrated chapter books aimed at younger readers (grades 2-4ish) might have played a role there. Given this I'm also curious to see if iPad etc readers will be more inclined to read my books than those on dedicated ereaders. I'll test it out once my KDP Select days are up!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #754
williemeikle
The force is strong in this one.

williemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputation
My best seller of my ebooks, The Invasion, sold its fifteen thousandth copy sometime this past week.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HS4V8O

Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #755
Nick Russell
practical experience, FTW

Nick Russell has a spectacular aura
Congratulations! Keep on selling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by williemeikle View Post
My best seller of my ebooks, The Invasion, sold its fifteen thousandth copy sometime this past week.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HS4V8O

Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #756
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
More good news. This is a fun thread to read!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #757
Bookmama
practical experience, FTW

Bookmama is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NottiThistledore View Post
Congratulations, everyone!

A Frightful Recipe is my first self-pub attempt, so it's taking a little while to get the ball rolling. I've had a half dozen ebook sales since putting it up a fortnight or so ago, and was pleasantly surprised to see that I'd sold the same amount in print format.

I wasn't expecting many (if any) print sales at all, but wonder if the fact that my books are illustrated chapter books aimed at younger readers (grades 2-4ish) might have played a role there. Given this I'm also curious to see if iPad etc readers will be more inclined to read my books than those on dedicated ereaders. I'll test it out once my KDP Select days are up!
How hard/easy was it to put your chapter books into CreateSpace versus getting them on Kindle? Is it a totally different formatting process?

I have both picture books and chapter books on Kindle and the picture books are selling reasonably well and the chapter book sales are pretty pathetic. I was wondering if the chapter books do better when you at least have a paperback version available. So I wondered how much time I should expect to invest to make that happen?

P.S. NottiThistledore -- you've got a really good book description. Your first line especially so pulls me into the second sentence: "The Chatswood spooks are in trouble. "

Last edited by Bookmama; 02-01-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Adding P.S.
Bookmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #758
NottiThistledore
figuring it all out

Hi BookMama,

I had someone do the Kindle conversion for me as I was finding incorporating drop caps and other elements a bit of a nightmare. I did tdo the CreateSpace conversion myself using a Word file as a basis. It was a lot less painless than I expected, and their system walks you through the process, which definitely helps! The only thing you might need to spend a little time fiddling with is the cover, as unless you're happy having a blank back cover you'll need to provide a PDF with both front and back included. Let me know if you need any help, and I'll do what I can to assist!

Thanks so much for your lovely words about my blurb, too. I'm so glad to hear that it drew you in!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #759
Susie
Thanks, special friend for my avi!
AW's Treasured Chocolate Birthday Lady

Susie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
congrats, all! s all around.

Please check out my book on this link. Thanks.
https://www.createspace.com/4742539
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=138688
HOF link: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8514909#post8514909
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...07#post7397507
verning is the only way to travel!
*Prelicks Suze - It's the next best thing to getting Laverned*
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #760
sarahdalton
Banned

sarahdalton is a shiny, shiny jewelsarahdalton is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm #1 on Children's Science Fiction books this morning!! I'm so excited!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...rsr_b_1_4_last

Ranked #546 overall.

All thanks to bookbub
sarahdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #761
NottiThistledore
figuring it all out

That's wonderful! Congratulations!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #762
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

Great news, Sarah!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #763
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sarah, that's totally awesome! I wish I was there somewhere near you.

I got a neat, really neat star review for The War Gate. What struck me about this is that the reviewer said he's read lots of Stephen King and remembered his most hideously, unique antagonists. But when he read about my sub-antag, the Wax Man, he said it went over the top with the scare/disgust factor and it really "did it for me." Words to that effect in both the review and personal emails.

Now, if I could just strive to make all my MCs as shockingly believable, I'd be in Heaven's 7th.

tri

Last edited by triceretops; 02-05-2013 at 03:31 AM.
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #764
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

Chris, that's awesome!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #765
ebbrown
Easily Amused

ebbrown is a shiny, shiny jewelebbrown is a shiny, shiny jewel
So happy right now, had to share.
My book made #1 on the Hot New Releases in Time Travel Romance.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/new-release...snr_nav_b_2_23

Prolly will drop back down, they update it so frequently, but still really nice to look at.

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
Alice: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Facebook
Twitter
EBBrown.net
ebbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #766
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

Congratulations, E.B.!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #767
Spell-it-out
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Great news EB! Well done.
Spell-it-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #768
sarahdalton
Banned

sarahdalton is a shiny, shiny jewelsarahdalton is a shiny, shiny jewel
Also - really nice cover!

Congrats E.B.
sarahdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #769
ebbrown
Easily Amused

ebbrown is a shiny, shiny jewelebbrown is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thank you!
Trying to take the good & the bad & come out a little bit better for it.

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
Alice: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Facebook
Twitter
EBBrown.net
ebbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #770
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Hi everyone!
I finally have a reason to post here: a novelette I put up a week ago on Amazon has sold 50 copies so far--its biggest sale day being 14 copies (yesterday).

Pretty stoked!
Nowhere near any of the numbers up-thread but for me, having recently started this whole thing with no following/web presence and no promotion for this particular piece, yay!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #771
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
THE WAR GATE, A BACKLIST PARANORMAL/ROMANCE TITLE, NOW FREE ON AMAZON TODAY 2-19! Full-length, 332 pages of thrills, romance and chills. Available on Amazon Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/The-War-Gate-e...U/ref=sr_1_5?s...

I'm now # 3 in Paranormal for Free Listing! I'm shocked. I've never had that many free downloads before. I'd love to be number for one for once in my life.

Thanks to all my AW buddies for the help and support.

Tri (Chris)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #772
PortableHal
Not-so-new

PortableHal has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
THE WAR GATE, A BACKLIST PARANORMAL/ROMANCE TITLE, NOW FREE ON AMAZON TODAY 2-19! Full-length, 332 pages of thrills, romance and chills. Available on Amazon Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/The-War-Gate-e...U/ref=sr_1_5?s...

I'm now # 3 in Paranormal for Free Listing! I'm shocked. I've never had that many free downloads before. I'd love to be number for one for once in my life.

Thanks to all my AW buddies for the help and support.

Tri (Chris)
Just downloaded it, Chris. It sounds great!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #773
triceretops
Super Browser

Thanks, guys. In the months and months, during 2 to 3 trial free days this book has never pulled more than 500 freebies at a time. Now it's well over 3,000! I wish I could remember which announcements or the promo trick I used to do this. Alas, I'll never know what happened.

I can only say the Mondays and Tuesdays are whoppers for free downloads. I've always used weekends. Perhaps that is the difference is response? Something to keep in mind, eh?

tri

ETA: I'm also suspecting that huge RTs from members might drive up the exposure on Twitter. I've had some of those because I do the same for very interesting books that I research and read the samples.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #774
triceretops
Super Browser

Gee, what happened? Over 3,300 freebie downloads and a rush of sales after I went live. It even kicked a sale or two for my other books. This hasn't happened before. I'm hoping this was a word-of-mouth thing. I have no other excuse for why it happened 'cause nothing changed from my last two free trial periods, which were dismal in comparison.

HAPPY DAY!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #775
NottiThistledore
figuring it all out

Congrats, Chris! That's great news.