Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Games
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
JohnnyGottaKeyboard
Who let this guy in...?

Location: On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter grew too loud...
JohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolnessJohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolnessJohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolnessJohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolnessJohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolness
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (2013)

So I recently got this on steam (I originally played it on PS3).

Wow, I had forgottten how much I enjoyed the feel of this game. But...

As a first-time PCer, I see that there are a shipload of MODS available. Anyone have any recommendations about which I must try?

I got the full Steam package which includes several things not available on PS3 (Frostcrag, the Vampire abode way down south, the ship in the cave in Anvil--Horse Armor, which I haven't used because I never ride horses...The orery(?) at the Mage University). But I am anxious to explore other interesting things.
JohnnyGottaKeyboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
Outside the unofficial patches, it really depends.
I've spent the last week just checking out the housing mods I was interested in, and that's after limiting them to only houses with 100+ endorsements on the Nexus.

I will say that if you are interested in an epic quest chain with a pretty darn nice house waiting at the end, you could try the Verona House mod.
May be the only mod I've ever played to give me a catharsis. Minor catharsis, but catharsis nonetheless.

I could give you lists, but http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/ is probably the best place to start.

I recommend Wrye Bash as the modding tool of choice, but w/e floats your boat.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
--Laozi
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
JohnnyGottaKeyboard
Who let this guy in...?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolnessJohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolnessJohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolnessJohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolnessJohnnyGottaKeyboard leaves trails of profuse coolness
Ooh, that does sound cool. And perfect timing...I just became Champion of C today. I take it you played the original mod by DTom? I downloaded the fixed version (sept 2011) and hope it's actually fixed and not "fixed".

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
There was one with an archaeologists guild. That ruled. I can't remember its official title.

And Midas Magic was also good.

There weren't as many good mods as were in Morrowind though.

Have you met Weebum-Na yet? My favorite person in the game.
Sarpedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
kenebaker
Master of Meh!

kenebaker is on a distinguished road
You should check out the Skyrim mods if you have the game
kenebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenebaker View Post
Yeah, I believe Skywind and Skyblivion are both underway, so I'll be waiting for those before I go back to either Oblivion or Morrowind. Got plenty to keep me busy until then.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
JohnnyGottaKeyboard
Who let this guy in...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenebaker View Post
I only have Skyrim on the PS3...So you can imagine how frustrating that has been. I read an article the other day that all the add-ons (DLC, I mean, not mods obviously) will finally be coming to PS3 in February, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Gynn
Wandering worlds

Gynn has a spectacular aura
I'm still waiting for one of these games to have the true "family homestead" experience.
Gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
lewisc
Overnight Sensation

lewisc is on a distinguished road
Oblivion rocks. For my personal fun, I enjoyed morrowind more. I had the two major addons to that. Skyrim is fun too. Killing dragons is good stuff. I still like flying across morrowind the best though.
lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Benedetto Youssef
practical experience, FTW

Benedetto Youssef is on a distinguished road
Play the game through right now, you have hundreds of hours of stuff to do and even then you still haven't done it all.

After you have become VERY familiar with the game you can look into mods.

PS I also enjoyed Morrowind more, in my opinion the best game of all time.

1.Morrowind
2.Skyrim
3.Oblivion

Oblivion is still great though!

The Bone Thief Saga
Book 1: Tears of the Song Prince-->First Draft: 94,500/~90,000 words

my website:
www.BennJosef.com
Benedetto Youssef is offline   Reply With Quote