Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Erotica
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Hypatia
figuring it all out

Hypatia is on a distinguished road
What do I call this?

It is a post-apocalyptic homoerotic science-fiction adventure. I realize I will need to do some research on which publishers to submit to.

But how should it be described? It is romance? There is definately a romance, including happily ever after, but it is very explicit, so does that make it erotica?
Hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Anna_Hedley
Fuelled by tea and crumpets.

Anna_Hedley has a spectacular aura
I would say erotic romance? I could very well be wrong though.
Anna_Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Ann_Mayburn
Smutty McTitters

Ann_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admiration
A one liner doesn't really help. Can you give us a blurb type description?

Ann_Mayburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
Ann_Mayburn
Smutty McTitters

Ann_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admiration
Oh, and if it's a romance, with lots of sex, it is still a romance. Shit, it may not even qualify as erotic romance as mainstream romance is getting filthier by the day.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Call it science fiction erotic romance and run with it. Ann is right - mainstream romance is trying to catch up to us, so don't worry about heat levels.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Hypatia
figuring it all out

Hypatia is on a distinguished road
Okay, summary:

Three hundred years after a comet impacts Earth, all advanced technology is in the hands of the Engineers, who are worshipped like gods. Two unlikely friends, Gilroy, king of his own city, and Katsuo, a nomadic hunter, seek to steal the secret of immortality from the Engineers while along the way becoming lovers and having lots of passionate, explicitly described sex.
Hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Ann_Mayburn
Smutty McTitters

Erotic Sci-Fi Romance No need to call it homoerotic, sounds like M/M to me. But that is just an opinion.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
elindsen
Bite me, demon

elindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthoodelindsen is a candidate for sainthood
I agree with Ann. M/M erotic sci-fi romance.

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Blog

Burning Wings 56,305/60,000

elindsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And write it so I can read it, pretty please? For some reason I'm seeing post apocalyptic Gilgamesh and Enkidu, and I wants...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admirationgingerwoman has earned our admiration
Whether or not it is a romance or an erotic romance depends on how much time is spent on developing the romantic arc and how many sex scenes there are versus the rest of the plot.
I would suggest DreamSpinner Press because they will accept manuscripts that aren't strictly gay romance as long as they include gay romantic elements. They accept all heat levels of male/male focused stories.
Their submission guidelines indicate they might be interested in this type of story.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #11
CaPooF
practical experience, FTW

CaPooF is a shiny, shiny jewelCaPooF is a shiny, shiny jewel
From what I can tell, the line between "sexy romance" and "erotic romance" basically consists of which words you use to describe female genitalia. Pussy and/or cunt tip the scales. My Etopia editor won't call it erotica if I don't use those. If it's not HEA or HFN I'd say it fits plain erotica, not erotic romance. That's just from my limited experience, so take it with a grain of salt.
CaPooF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Hmm, so I can write the most explicit stuff possible, as long as I monitor terminology? I may have to try that as a literary exercise.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
CaPooF
practical experience, FTW

CaPooF is a shiny, shiny jewelCaPooF is a shiny, shiny jewel
Fil, I think it may depend on your publisher.
CaPooF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Near as I can tell, I'd have to really stretch to hit Loose Id's limits.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
It is a post-apocalyptic homoerotic science-fiction adventure. I realize I will need to do some research on which publishers to submit to.

But how should it be described? It is romance? There is definately a romance, including happily ever after, but it is very explicit, so does that make it erotica?
This happens a lot, but it also means you can assign it to any reasonable genre. Erotic SF is very popular, even if it has a strong romantic plot. Someone looking for a romance, OTOH, might be turned off by either the explicitness or the SF.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The general approach is, as mentioned, to call it whatever the publisher you are submitting to would call it.