Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #201
Cranky
Super Moderator
SuperModerator

Cranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got impatient and skipped to the end , but yeah, I've had crushes, a few of which have been mentioned already, I see. Harry Dresden, the Doctor, Sherlock Holmes as played by Benedict Cumberbatch (and not just because I've got a tiny crush on Benedict, heheh) and the first literary love I can remember - Nick Andros, from The Stand. I have no idea why I crush on him so hard, but wow. I was heartbroken when King killed him off. Oh, and another King character - Roland Deschain. *swoons*

An exceptional poem that you really should read, by AW's own William Haskins:

Thorn Forest: A Poem In Progress
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #202
ccarver30
The Appleton House

ccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbrown View Post
Jamie from the Outlander series is my biggest crush. It will be weird to see the TV series and who they put to portray him. It will probably ruin my whole fantasy, TV/Movies tend to do that to book characters.
This was the whole reason why I wrote The Duchess' Ring. When I saw Rob Pattinson was playing Edward in Twilight, I thought: That's not Edward. Henry Cavill is Edward (you sons of &^%#^@!!). Fine, I'll write my own Edward novel!

Note: TDR is a regency romance that has zero to do with vampires. :-p
ccarver30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #203
chicgeek
practical experience, FTW

chicgeek has a spectacular aura
The two Spikes.

Cowboy Bebop Spike and Buffy the Vampire Slayer Spike. The latter in particular -- James Marsters made platinum blond hair hot. Plus he's a great actor and his character was the epitome of bad guy gone good (because if you think about it, he was a good guy gone bad gone good again).

Also, totally on board with David Tennant as Doctor Who.

Current WIP: YA Dystopian (Book One) -- 3rd Draft 110,000 / 120,000 words
chicgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #204
Heavenlydemonick

Heavenlydemonick is on a distinguished road
I usually get really attached to the main male love interest in books I read but the one that always pops into my head when I hear someone ask this question is Etienne from Love Bites by Lynsay Sands. I don't know what it was about him but I sure did love him.

Also, Kisten from Kim Harrison's books was a pretty big crush.

Amazon
Facebook
GoodReads
Heavenlydemonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #205
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
the first literary love I can remember - Nick Andros, from The Stand. I have no idea why I crush on him so hard, but wow.
I had a huge thing for Stu.....but Nick came in a close second.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #206
French Maiden

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
So I bought Dragon Age Origins yesterda, ands I'm hooked. Alistair is such a hunny. He's gorgeous, and sweet, and handsome and lovely and when he woke up to me having a nightmare I thought it was the sweetest thing ever.
I'm in love with a fictional character! And it's all thanks to this thread that I was even introduced to him.
French Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #207
sennydreadful
X-Box Fancier

sennydreadful is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Maiden View Post
So I bought Dragon Age Origins yesterda, ands I'm hooked. Alistair is such a hunny. He's gorgeous, and sweet, and handsome and lovely and when he woke up to me having a nightmare I thought it was the sweetest thing ever.
I'm in love with a fictional character! And it's all thanks to this thread that I was even introduced to him.
*feeling all the Alastair love* <3

I just want to smoosh him, he's so adorable.

sennydreadful.com

Represented by Juliet Mushens of the Agency Group
sennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #208
French Maiden

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
I jeep freaking dying! And my heart breaks a little everytime he dies too. I'm in the redcliff castle atm and I'm getting my ass handed to me.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #209
AWriterBlocked
figuring it all out

AWriterBlocked is on a distinguished road
Does Wonder Woman count??
AWriterBlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #210
sohalt

sohalt leaves trails of profuse coolnesssohalt leaves trails of profuse coolnesssohalt leaves trails of profuse coolnesssohalt leaves trails of profuse coolnesssohalt leaves trails of profuse coolness
First fictional crush? Probably some boy in an Astrid Lindgren Novel - Borka Borkason in Ronja Robber's daughter, Kalle Blomquist (although I could never really choose between Anders and him; poor Eva-Lotta!), Madicken's Abbe. Astrid Lindgren could write rather crush-worthy boys... Sensitive, but courageous they were always up for anything fun, but could be quite mature when neccessary.

And of course a lot of cartoon crushes - I'll join the Disney foxy Robin Hood harem. I also kinda liked Mowgli. And Bernhard from Bernhard and Bianca. Was always rather bored by most of the proper princes though (except for Mulan's captain, but I guess he doesn't really count as proper prince). (I'm still not quite over crushing on cartoons... Spike Spiegel, Mugen, Jin from Samurai Champloo)

Literary crushes, maybe not entirely designed to be crushed upon:

1) Ulrich in Man without Qualities. The very definition of every conceivable kind of privilege, he finds his life so lacking in any kind of challenge, that he sets himself an artifical one by deciding to kill himself if he doesn't succeed in giving his life some purpose in the span of a year. I was very impressed because I found him so intellectual. Yeah, I was in my late teens, early twenties then... (I still love the book. No longer crushing on Ulrich though).

2) Hans Castorp in The Magic Mountain. He also wants to be an intellectual, but he doesn't quite get there, before he's - Spoiler Alert - tragically probably killed in the First World War. Lots of tender feelings for poor Hans. His cousin Joachim is even more heartbreaking in his dutiful simplicity, but he's consequently quite a bit more one-note.

3) Robbie Turner in Atonement. Another tragic young man, felled in his prime. Persecuted innocence. And a bit like an Astrid Lindgren hero grown up, I imagine. Portrayed by James McAvoy in the movie, certainly a contributing factor.

4) Don Gately in Infinite Jest. A thief, murderer and ex-junkie, probably the closest thing to a bad boy on my list. But, yeah, tragic childhood and everything and also he's in rehab and he's struggling so heroically. Writing it down makes it sound so trite. It's not the "uh, sexy" kinda crush; he's just gving me all kinds of feelings.

I also had a bit of a soft spot for Holden Caufield and Angel St. Claire and Peter Walsh (the returning expat in Mrs. Dalloway), who are all ultimately rather disappointing - a certain weaknness for the self-righteous judgey types, I guess. But that's often the problem if you get too much of their perspective - it can nip the blossoming crush in the bud.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #211
flapperphilosopher

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicgeek View Post
Also, totally on board with David Tennant as Doctor Who.
Oh goodness yes.
flapperphilosopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #212
Ralyks
Untold stories inside

Ralyks is a glorious beacon of lightRalyks is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
I had a huge thing for Stu.....but Nick came in a close second.
Major crush on Stu, but never Nick.
I've had a few fictional crushes. My longest lasting one was on Mr. Darcy, but I think I'm finally over him. A girl has to move on eventually.

https://www.facebook.com/romanceauthor
Ralyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #213
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Alpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My newest crush. I'm actually a little bit in love.

Raylan Givens, KY US Marshal on Justified.

Holy moly...him in that hat with that slow, sexy, slightly southern accent...
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
T.H Lawrence

Alpha Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #214
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Maiden View Post
And so the Alistair fan club grows...

After this thread I had to go back to the game. And I've not been doing much writing for the last two weeks because of it.

I have now managed to entice Alistair into my tent...heh heh heh...

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #215
French Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post

After this thread I had to go back to the game. And I've not been doing much writing for the last two weeks because of it.

I have now managed to entice Alistair into my tent...heh heh heh...
You little hussy, you,
This game is depriving me of a life!!

It's ruined my writing routine and my eyes are burning because I'v been starting at a computer desk too long.

Dang Dragon Age.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #216
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
and the first literary love I can remember - Nick Andros, from The Stand. I have no idea why I crush on him so hard, but wow. I was heartbroken when King killed him off.
Me too. I still adore Nick to this day and cringe on every re-read as 'that scene' approaches.

(Roland's great, but I kind of like Eddie more.)

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #217
lilyWhite
The Sinistral of Squee

lilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputationlilyWhite has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shara View Post
Alistair's probably my favourite male love interest in any video game. Not exactly a crush (mainly because I don't swing that way... #^_^#); he's an awesome guy, like Edward Chris von Muir.

As for my crushes? I've had a few. My biggest ones are Liara T'Soni and Lightning. I've also taken quite a liking to Isabelle Sinclair, one of the characters in the upcoming game Fuse. Ali Hillis just happens to voice a lot of hawt female characters. =^_^=
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #218
ArachnePhobia
Eight Legs, All Holding Pens

ArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admiration
Since the subject has turned to video games, y'know who I am totally shocked nobody's mentioned? Lucien LaChance. He's not my type*, but I was under the impression I was epically in the minority on that.

*Falcar is the ES character who should've had a courier serve me an in-game restraining order. I get a little blushy when I have to break into and search his bedroom, I still wish the game gave me the option of lying about what I found there, and I always spare his life. Somebody strike up Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher."