Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #26
benbenberi
practical experience, FTW

benbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
Like double spacing after periods. I didn't know this was no longer "the cool thing to do" until I heard a guy from Slate ranting about all those "fossilized old geezers who still double space after periods" on NPR's Fresh Air one day.
Yeah, double-spacing after periods is another habit whose persistence (& stubborn defense!) constantly amazes me.

I recall it being denounced as antiquated and unnecessary back in the 80s. (There was a book, sometime around 1988 or 89, called "The Mac is Not a Typewriter" that argued vehemently against the double space when proportional fonts were used.)

And yet people who weren't even alive in 1988 are here in this room who have apparently never heard the news.

I shake my head in bewilderment.

benbenberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
Animad345
"The artist of life..."

Animad345 is well-respected
Roxxsmom: I don't know how I'll get used to the new format. I've been so used to the default settings on Word, it's true.
Benbenberi: I hold up my hands in placation!

JIGSAW BOY - YA (COMPLETED)

HIT THE BRAKES - YA (COMPLETED)

BLACK AND BLUE - MAINSTREAM (CURRENTLY SUBMITTING TO AGENTS)

SUVERSION - PARANORMAL (WORKING ON)
Animad345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #28
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animad345 View Post
Roxxsmom: I don't know how I'll get used to the new format. I've been so used to the default settings on Word, it's true.
Benbenberi: I hold up my hands in placation!
Ha!

I do want it to be noted that I use word's formatting features now, and I single space after periods. I'm all for changes that make things less work for me. Why waste the time with an extra key stroke if it's not needed?

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #29
Animad345
"The artist of life..."

Animad345 is well-respected
Haha! You are duly noted!

JIGSAW BOY - YA (COMPLETED)

HIT THE BRAKES - YA (COMPLETED)

BLACK AND BLUE - MAINSTREAM (CURRENTLY SUBMITTING TO AGENTS)

SUVERSION - PARANORMAL (WORKING ON)
Animad345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #30
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenberi View Post
Yeah, double-spacing after periods is another habit whose persistence (& stubborn defense!) constantly amazes me.
I'm amazed that anyone today worries about this. I learned to type, in Courier font, on an IBM Selectric typewriter, and I had a Smith-Corona manual to work on at my house. So I learned the two-space convention.

I still sometimes do it. But why worry about it? At submission time, one of the standard things I do is a replacement of two spaces with one. Takes about three seconds in the word-processor. Can this possibly be a problem for anyone?

caw
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #31
Becky Black
Writing my way off the B Ark

Becky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of lightBecky Black is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
Ha!

I do want it to be noted that I use word's formatting features now, and I single space after periods. I'm all for changes that make things less work for me. Why waste the time with an extra key stroke if it's not needed?
Two spaces after a period was certainly the easiest habit to break that I've ever had - but then I was never a properly trained typist.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #32
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Automatic paragraph indent is awesome. You never have to remember to push that tab key again. It's up in the drop down box when you set you spacing to double (in Word).

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't gotten over my obsession with double spacing after punctuation, though.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
BethS
writer, rider, reader

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Littlefield View Post
You never have to remember to push that tab key again. (in Word).
But, but, but...I don't ever "remember" to hit the Tab key. I just do it without thinking. It's as automatic as turning a handle to open a door.

Or for that matter, as hitting the Enter key twice to double-space between paragraphs here. Which everyone does without thinking about it much, I would imagine.