Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #6151
AllieKat
just a writer, unbranded

AllieKat is a shiny, shiny jewelAllieKat is a shiny, shiny jewel
The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds, by Alexander McCall Smith

He's one of my favorite authors.

--
AllieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #6152
Dave Hardy
Don't let your deal go down,

Dave Hardy is a glorious beacon of lightDave Hardy is a glorious beacon of light
I'm reading Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. It is not for the faint of heart. I've never seen quite so comprehensive an array of mayhem inflicted on fictional children and I haven't even gotten to chapter six.

In the words of Hasan i-Sabah: Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Out now, from Musa Publishing, Crazy Greta: One woman against Death, Hell, and Heaven. Tales of Phalerus the Achaean: Sword & Sorcery adventure in Bronze Age Greece.

Dave Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #6153
Bushrat
Wild one

Bushrat is a shiny, shiny jewelBushrat is a shiny, shiny jewel
"Lucy - The Beginnings of Humankind" by Donald Johnason and Maitland Edey
Bushrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 AM   #6154
DarkSongofErrin
practical experience, FTW

DarkSongofErrin is on a distinguished road
I found an old edition of the hobbit from the 60's in some old stuff of a family members. So I thought I would read it again.
DarkSongofErrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #6155
archerjoe

archerjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputationarcherjoe has a double-platinum reputation
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #6156
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

cooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Lovers Room by Steven Carroll, one of my favourite Australian writers. It is quite a compelling story about love found and lost, betrayal, passion, secrets and trust...

Help raise awareness for my missing sister, Tracey, by joining her facebook page - A Missing Person

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads
------------------------------------

A Woman Transported Kindle

Unforgivable Kindle
cooeedownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #6157
RookieWriter

RookieWriter is on a distinguished road
Makeup to Breakup by Peter Chriss (the drummer for Kiss)
RookieWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #6158
Izhitsa
figuring it all out

Izhitsa is on a distinguished road
The Jewel in the Crown by Paul Scott.
Izhitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #6159
shawkins
Puts the fun in function calls.
AW Paladin

shawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Too Good to be True - It's a discussion of the Bernard Madoff fraud case by some reporter for Barron's. Normally I find nonfiction financial stuff absolutely fascinating (no, really) especially if there's some sort of disaster involved, but this is borderline unreadable. I'm guessing the author signed a contract to deliver X thousand words and then realized she didn't have any actual sources. What I've seen thus far is 99% filler.
shawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #6160
Marumae
Princess of Poppycock

Marumae is on a distinguished road
Just finished The Next Always by Nora Roberts, my first contemporary romance (or contemporary novel that wasn't fantastic in some way) and while I enjoyed it, it was definitely a different experience for me and kind of refreshing for how normal, it is.

Starting, Leviathan by Scott Westerfield. I keep getting recommended it so I'm excited!

On Desk: Nuthin.
Trunked: Too many to count!
Marumae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #6161
Velcro
Scribbling Scribe

Velcro is on a distinguished road
The Shining, Stephen King
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #6162
Vito
Daydream Believer

Vito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVito is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #6163
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
The Unlikely Pilgrimmage of Harold Fry (Rachel Joyce)

before that:
A Lady by Midnight (Tessa Dare)
Dealing with David (Katriena Knights)
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #6164
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Case of Need by Michael Crichton (under the pseudonym Jeffery Hudson)

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #6165
TorontoGirl
Write on, write on...

TorontoGirl is on a distinguished road
Robyn's Egg by Mark Souza

TorontoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #6166
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Beautiful Ruins (Jess Walter)
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #6167
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just finishing up Bossypants by Tina Fey.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #6168
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Vandal: A Case of Need by Michael Crichton (under the pseudonym Jeffery Hudson)
Me, too! That was his debut novel, published when he was 26, lucky bastard--no, I take it back, I don't want to upset the Gods. . .
“Dave,” the priest said.
I looked at him.
“Are you all right?”
“Not even.”
/my little blog/

Avie attrib.:
Louise Docker
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #6169
ResearchGuy
Resident Curmudgeon

ResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsResearchGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One book after another about wine, including Wine Wars.

Fascinating topic. And tasty.

--Ken
ResearchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #6170
Ellaroni
Out on the fjord

Ellaroni has a spectacular aura
Sweet Tooth, Ian McEwan's latest. I've spent an unprecedented two weeks on it so far (due to NaNo), I'm about half-way and FINALLY something bordering on exciting happened. I am disappointed so far, but I know there will be more to this story soon...

Current projects:
FB - YA LGBT contemp - 80K - editing
P - YA multiple POV - 73K

Published:
SUPERMASSIVE - Contemporary LGBT YA (Harmony Ink Press, 2014)
Get it at Amazon* Barnes and Noble* Dreamspinner Press
Ellaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #6171
adm
Benefactor Member

adm is on a distinguished road
I'm reading attack if the theater people - it is a fun read. The previous book I read was THe Rules of Civility - both make me happy I am no longer in my twenties
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #6172
TheKoB
Smooth Operator

TheKoB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe.
So brilliant! I almost vomited with laughter.

Currently I'm reading Zen-Mind, Beginner-Mind by Shunyru Suzuki and it's real heavy stuff.
TheKoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #6173
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Widow For One Year by John Irving

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #6174
cmi0616

cmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewelcmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just finished The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. Still can't figure out whether the man was pure genius or annoyingly pretentious. Perhaps both. I get the feeling that he was trying to hard too be "great" whenever I read his work.

Started The Adventures of Auggie March by Saul Bellow this morning. Trying to get around to some of the classics that I've neglected to read.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #6175
ElsieTanner
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ElsieTanner is on a distinguished road
Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel. It's flippin' brilliant.
ElsieTanner is offline   Reply With Quote