Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #76
Adam
Where Brainy goes, I follow.

Adam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAdam is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie2 View Post
I didn't like IwtV at all. All Louis did was WHINE WHINE WHINE. It was really annoying. My favorite book of hers was The Vampire Lestat. Her narrative voice in that book was fantastic.
Ditto, so much better imo.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #77
Hesperides
Bloody love

Hesperides is on a distinguished road
I liked Tale of the Body Thief. Vampire experiencing mortal life... Interesting concept.

I must say - when I came into AW today, I freaked the hell out!
Hesperides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #78
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

justbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to behold
Yes, I'm resurrecting this thread. I honestly cannot believe I've been here as long as I have without seeking it out and posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeasy View Post
I admit, I love me some Anne Rice. I know she's an egotistical maniac, but I can't help it. If there's one thing she does well, it's to create an immursive novel. Queen of the Damned was the quintessenial bad movie adaption of a book. It was everything I hate about Hollywood. They jazzed everything up for the short attentioned spanned and basically eliminated any plot points that would have been hard to explain. Interview really wasn't too bad, but QotD was downright soul crushing.
Soul crushing. That is a perfect way of explaining that abortion they tried to shove down our throats as a movie. My husband and I waited for that thing to come out (we are both huge fans), and almost walked out 15 minutes into it. Wished we had afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it. How does the author's Catholicism retrospectively make her vampires less vampy?
I'm wondering this as well. I chose not to read the stuff she wrote after her "reawakening", but it didn't lessen my love of the stories that came before.

And really, I couldn't care less what she says the books are about. I know what they mean TO ME*, and that's all that really matters. And for the record, I plan to pass all of my beaten up AR paperbacks to my Daughter Claudia as soon as she shows any interest in reading "grown up" novels

* I've always interpreted the Vamp Chronicle vampires as a lens through which I'm reminded how fascinating and precious we humans, as a species, are. Call me cheesy, but I need to be "told" how wonderful and short life is every so often when I feel like its just a big trough of crap.

ETA: Anyone read The Wolf Gift? I pre-ordered it for my Kindle, and am sad that I just wasn't able to get into it. I don't think I made it through the first chapter :/
WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

justbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #79
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I read Interview as a youth and loved it. Read it again as an adult and wondered why everything was glittering. The wet streets glitter, eyes glitter, hair glitters, glittering glitter glitters. I think I know what gave a certain other Vampire writer an idea about glittering vampires.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #80
LongWave
practical experience, FTW

LongWave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbishop View Post
ETA: Anyone read The Wolf Gift? I pre-ordered it for my Kindle, and am sad that I just wasn't able to get into it. I don't think I made it through the first chapter :/
I'm about 1/3 through Wolf Gift. I like it, but i'm not able to find a groove because i've been so busy lately. The first 1/3 seems a bit slow, but I feel it starting to pick up.

btw, I'm a big Anne Rice fan. Read all the vampire books, but the MAyfair series -- Witching hour, Lasher, and Taltos, are my favorite.
LongWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #81
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

justbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to behold
Good to know that it picks up at some point, thanks

And I love love love the Mayfair Witches trilogy! The first book is just amazing, but I feel like it slides into the realm of the ridiculous by book three.
WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

justbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #82
LongWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWave View Post
I'm about 1/3 through Wolf Gift. I like it, but i'm not able to find a groove because i've been so busy lately. The first 1/3 seems a bit slow, but I feel it starting to pick up.

btw, I'm a big Anne Rice fan. Read all the vampire books, but the MAyfair series -- Witching hour, Lasher, and Taltos, are my favorite.
So, I put this book down for awhile...the middle simply wasnt that good. But I decided to finish it...finally.

Overall, it was Ok...some interesting stuff...but (spoiler), Anne Rice usually has a way of telling amazing backstory and origins to her immortals and creatures that have lived a long time...not this time. the back story of the original man-wolf was kinda lame. I wanted to like this so much, but its just "meh."
Old 09-11-2012, 02:24 AM   #83
KTC
THE REASONS - Now Available!

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Ledbetter View Post
I read Interview as a youth and loved it. Read it again as an adult and wondered why everything was glittering. The wet streets glitter, eyes glitter, hair glitters, glittering glitter glitters. I think I know what gave a certain other Vampire writer an idea about glittering vampires.
right! you don't have to wonder how fangirl got the notion to later glitter-up her vampires. Hmmm.
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #84
KTC
THE REASONS - Now Available!

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
I think The Feast of All Saints is one of the most beautiful books ever written. It is Rice's Great Expectations. I've read it about 10 times and never tire of its utter and staggering beauty. It is her opus.

I was in love with the vampire chronicles about 10 years back, but have since tired of them. The Mayfair books were also great for a time...so thorough in their self-history.

Again: THE FEAST OF ALL SAINTS (Utter beauty...I can't say enough about it. I fall back to that old New Orleans era every time I read it and I have to be brutally hauled back to the present.) If you haven't read it, do so.
I still hold firm to this 2006 post I made. I re-read The Feast of All Saints once a year. It breaks my heart, it's so beautiful. Her best work, still.
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #85
LongWave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
I still hold firm to this 2006 post I made. I re-read The Feast of All Saints once a year. It breaks my heart, it's so beautiful. Her best work, still.
Ive been meaning to give that one a shot, thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #86
Inquisitive_Lass
figuring it all out

Inquisitive_Lass is on a distinguished road
Anne Rice is a favorite author of mine, I enjoy her early vampire chronicles, until I found them changing too much witout development but among the author's beliefs. Love Interview with the Vampire Through Tale of the Body Thief.

Dark Alliances (YA Urban Fantasy)
Rewriting
http://sarahelevine.wordpress.com/
Goodreads | Twitter
Inquisitive_Lass is offline   Reply With Quote