Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #6701
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As for Raimi... Well, the Evil Dead joke in Spider-Man 2 makes me think that he's still got that love for comedy running through his veins (he's said that the Three Stooges is fundamental to his film education), so doing a comedy film and pretending that it is a horror film is totally within his abilities. The execution of the film, however, makes it B.A.D - there's no justification for some of the scenes, the acting is terrible and (in the case of the Romany family) offensive - it bugged me in Thinner as well, but in Drag Me To Hell it is so up-front that there is no way it can be passed over. A plot point is not the same as a racist stereotype. YMMV on that one quite significantly, but it stood out for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #6702
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, I gotta admit the gypsy curse thing has kind of been done to death, sort of like the voodoo guy. It's too easy to fall into stereotype.

Though, oddly, and as much as it pains me to say this, I thought the villain in Disney's Princess and the Frog was well done...

ETA: and in somewhat of a thread crossover, I also have to say that the "gypsy" in Season 2 of BTVS was well-done because they avoided most of the stereotypes. Other than the curse, she was thoroughly modern.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
slcboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #6703
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
Though, oddly, and as much as it pains me to say this, I thought the villain in Disney's Princess and the Frog was well done...
*checks* Is giving kudos to Disney for not committing wholesale theft (Most - if not all - of The Lion King, scenes in Pocahontas, parts of Beauty And The Beast), or reusing backgrounds across various films (everything) a back-handed compliment or not? Hmm... I would be more forgiving for Disney if they cleaned house - when they finally refuse to hire pedophiles, give proper credit to the franchises they have ripped off, and don't try to game copyright extensions, I'll be nice to them.

*cough*

My views on Disney being reprehensible are my own, and do not represent the views of Absolute Write, other users, or anyone else for that matter. Hi, Disney peeps.

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #6704
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When the HoM (House of Mouse) leg-breakers come to your house, I don't know you and had nothing to do with this.

So we're clear.

(could also rant about Disney Princesses and the bad message most of them send)

FleasTwits
Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #6705
slcboston
word-slinger

I could also, of course, as a historian, rant for hours about a certain Native American themed film (speaking of stereotypes)...

But I won't.

FleasTwits
Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #6706
BigWords
Geekzilla

You're good.

Abby, on the other hand, is gonna throttle me when she gets off work...

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #6707
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

(could also rant about Disney Princesses and the bad message most of them send)
Here, I'll take that one:

Good afternoon, hounds. I have been playing with my index cards.
soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #6708
BigWords
Geekzilla

Good evening, hounds. Not sayin' what I have been playing with.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #6709
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Don't touch my index cards please.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #6710
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
<scrabbles through Soapie's index cards looking for plot ideas and pointers, thoroughly mixing them up, looks at the mix and starts rearranging them>

There. That'll make a better plot anyway.

Last edited by FOTSGreg; 05-12-2012 at 03:30 AM.
FOTSGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #6711
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
<scrabbles through Boston's index cards looking for plot ideas and pointers, thoroughly mixing them up, looks at the mix and starts rearranging them>
Um, Greg?

You seem to have me confused.

FleasTwits
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #6712
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
Good evening, hounds. Not sayin' what I have been playing with.
Yeah, please don't.

Some of us just ate.

FleasTwits
Old 05-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #6713
BigWords
Geekzilla

I know what I would rather be playing with...

Where's Abby?

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-12-2012, 03:18 AM   #6714
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Um, Greg?

You seem to have me confused.

Um, yeah.

I know I haven't shaved my legs in a couple days, but really, Greg?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #6715
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:

Where's Abby?
DUDE.

Seriously.

And to think I missed your odd brand of geek convo when you weren't here. Sheesh.

FleasTwits
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #6716
AbielleRose
Slave to the Grounds

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Where's Abby?
*sexy wink* Are you up for some laser tag, again?

Stained Glass in the Night Blog / Twitter

Among the Stars in Sci Fi/Fantasy SYW
AbielleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #6717
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
And to think I missed your odd brand of geek convo when you weren't here. Sheesh.

Quote:
*sexy wink* Are you up for some laser tag, again?
All the time.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 AM   #6718
slcboston
word-slinger

I am going to envision actual laser tag, like in this year's Castle season finale.

If it is anything other than that, I do not want to know.

Ever.

FleasTwits
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #6719
AbielleRose
Slave to the Grounds

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Naked laser tag? Come on!!! Its fun, Bos!

Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #6720
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Fixed.

Sorry.

Long day staring at the computer screen and trying to figure out what the hell the engineering drawings were trying to say.

It's amazing sometimes how something perfectly clear to an engineer looks like absolute mud to someone tasked to explain it to others.

FOTSGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #6721
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
I am going to envision actual laser tag, like in this year's Castle season finale.

If it is anything other than that, I do not want to know.

Ever.
Quote:
Naked laser tag? Come on!!! Its fun, Bos!
Naked laser tag is possibly the only game I'll play where you won't hear me say "Not the face."

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 AM   #6722
slcboston
word-slinger

What part of "DO NOT WANT TO KNOW" was I unclear about???

x elebenty

FleasTwits
Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #6723
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
Long day staring at the computer screen and trying to figure out what the hell the engineering drawings were trying to say.
No worries, Greg.

Just figured you were drinking already. Which was a happier explanation.

FleasTwits
Old 05-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #6724
AbielleRose
Slave to the Grounds

Just remember- shaved skin = aerodynamics...

Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #6725
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Just remember- shaved skin = aerodynamics...

If this is the prerequisite for tag, then I'm out.

(see prior post)