Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #101
Saskatoonistan
Still the wrong side of Saskatoon

Saskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of lightSaskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of lightSaskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrryBlssmGrrl View Post
I should be careful what I wish for lol

Heard back from Cooke today - form R on partial I sent them in August. I sent them the revised version a couple of days ago so maybe I nudged them into rejection, I'm not sure, but I suppose it's better to know. boo hoo.
Five bucks says I hear from them in the next twenty four hours

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books
Saskatoonistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #102
LlordLlama
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

LlordLlama is on a distinguished road
rejected

So after about 7 weeks, The Cooke Agency turned me down. I justwish there was SOME reason other than "the industry is tough right now, blah blah, we must be 100% behind a client to offer support."

Oh well. Their loss, I suppose
LlordLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #103
Saskatoonistan
Still the wrong side of Saskatoon

Saskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of lightSaskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of lightSaskatoonistan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlordLlama@gmail.com View Post
So after about 7 weeks, The Cooke Agency turned me down. I justwish there was SOME reason other than "the industry is tough right now, blah blah, we must be 100% behind a client to offer support."

Oh well. Their loss, I suppose

That's the generic rejection letter they've been sending out all year. I have one for my novel Shade Fright from back in April. Thankfully I found a publisher for it.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books
Saskatoonistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #104
djaffe
Me love books much

djaffe is on a distinguished road
Mary Hu @ Cooke Agency?

Hey all

Has anyone heard anything about Mary Hu @ Cooke? Sent a partial on the request of Elizabeth but had originally submitted to Mary.

thanks!
djaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #105
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Adding link for Cooke International: http://cookeinternational.com/
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #106
Louisa
practical experience, FTW

Louisa is on a distinguished road
The Cooke Agency

Hello everyone! I'm new here, so please be patient. I was wondering if any of you had to do with the cooke literary agency. I queried them on the 12th of May and still got no response! Any experience to share? Thanks in advance!
Louisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #107
PVish
Cat hair collector

PVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolness
From the website:
Quote:
We try to respond within eight weeks, but please appreciate that this isn’t always possible. While we carefully review everything that is submitted, you will not receive detailed criticism of your work unless we are interested in representing it.

Last edited by PVish; 07-01-2011 at 05:09 PM.
PVish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #108
Phyllo
Still sitting

Phyllo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa View Post
Hello everyone! I'm new here, so please be patient. I was wondering if any of you had to do with the cooke literary agency. I queried them on the 12th of May and still got no response! Any experience to share? Thanks in advance!
Sorry I didn't see this sooner Louisa, but for what it's worth here's my limited exeperience:

Queried Dean Cooke (yeah, the big fish, but his areas of interest seemed to line up nicely with my MS -- or so I thought) on March 24th. Brief form rejection received June 13th. So about two and a half months. Not great, but at least they answered.

So if that's any indication, then you still have some waiting to do. Hopefully your work will get a better result. Good luck!
Phyllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #109
Louisa

Thanks, that was helpful! Crossing my fingers now!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #110
Louisa

2 months and a half and a half and still nothing. Well, I'll write them off, but I was expecting at least a rejection form!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #111
Oddly_Eccentric

Oddly_Eccentric is on a distinguished road
May be a dead thread but I referenced it for this so i will assume others will as well. Had a manuscript request and then after two months had passed I emailed them to make sure it was received. I later received a message that they weren't interested enough in the query to pursue it further. Not sure why they asked for the manuscript in the first place then. So since this seems to be common among their agency, enjoy the feeling but if they don't ask for exclusivity, keep sending your queries to other agents.
Oddly_Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #112
jblackstream

jblackstream is on a distinguished road
Long long wait

I sent a query to the Cooke Agency on January 6, 2011. I received a request for a full manuscript on February 4 from Elizabeth Griffin. She said she was sending it to Sally Harding.

I followed up after about two and a half months (they said it would take 6-8 weeks). They said my manuscript was still in the to-be-read pile.

I just sent them another follow-up e-mail today since I still haven't heard from them. So . . . a little over ten months and counting.

Sigh.

Jenny
jblackstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #113
Erin Latimer
Stay in and write.

Erin Latimer is on a distinguished road
The Cooke Agency

Just received a full request from them. I haven't sent it off yet because of the strange wording. She requested an "electronic version" in reply to the email. I feel dumb, but I'm not sure what that means. I guess I'll send it as a word document and plea ignorance if I get in trouble.

Also, does anyone know if they usually ask for an elusive? I didn't see it on their submissions page. There's sort of no way I can grant that right now....so I'm hoping they don't ask. Eep!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheELatimer

I Blog:
http://elatimer.com/

I haz the Twitters: http://twitter.com/ELatimerWrites
Erin Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #114
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Latimer View Post
Just received a full request from them. I haven't sent it off yet because of the strange wording. She requested an "electronic version" in reply to the email. I feel dumb, but I'm not sure what that means. I guess I'll send it as a word document and plea ignorance if I get in trouble.

Also, does anyone know if they usually ask for an elusive? I didn't see it on their submissions page. There's sort of no way I can grant that right now....so I'm hoping they don't ask. Eep!
Erin,

I think you're pretty safe. Electronic copy usually means sending it via e-mail vice a hard copy through the post office.

Also, I think you meant to say "exclusive", but somehow I find "elusive" to be much more appropriate in the hunt for an agent.
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #115
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If they didn't specifically ask for an exclusive, go ahead and keep querying. It may be a while before you hear from them.

Send them the attached word document. It's best to "Reply" to their request email. Be sure to include a cover letter embedded in your email saying thank you for the request, etc., along with the original query wording so they can file it properly.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #116
Chumplet

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Does anyone know if Mary Hu is building her own list?

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #117
Erin Latimer
Stay in and write.

Erin Latimer is on a distinguished road
Thank you guys!I sent it as a word document and just said I felt silly but wasn't sure what she meant. I got a very nice email back saying basically that "Yes, we got your material, and don't feel silly!"

Richard White: Der! I meant exclusive, haha. I'm just on fire today....

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheELatimer

I Blog:
http://elatimer.com/

I haz the Twitters: http://twitter.com/ELatimerWrites
Erin Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #118
Mustafa

Mustafa is well-respected
Does anyone have any recent experience with this agency? Anyone represented by any of the agents here? I write for kids, and I'm considering them, but I'm concerned that each of the agents seems to have so many clients that I might get lost in the mix. I'd love to hear how they are at communication with their clients.
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #119
Mustafa

Mustafa is well-respected
Just giving this another bump. Does anyone have any experience with this agency? They rep a lot of writers, any of them here on AW?
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #120
Chumplet

I just received word from Mary Hu that she has left publishing for the time being.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 02-25-2014, 03:28 AM   #121
Chumplet

Is this a no response agency? The wording on their website seems to suggest they can't offer detailed reasons for a rejection, but not whether they will respond with a rejection at all.

I had received confirmation of receipt of my query/sample pages, but that was back in July.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #122
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthood
Chumplet, I have queried them in the past and never heard a thing.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #123
Chumplet

Thanks, Lady. I'll stroke her off the list.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Old 05-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #124
tyrell

tyrell is on a distinguished road
Any recent stats with this agency? I have a full out with Sally Harding/Elizabeth Griffin, and judging from this thread it looks like I may be in for a long wait.
tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #125
Mandel

Mandel is on a distinguished road
I saw Sally Harding at an event a couple of days ago in Vancouver (part of a writers conference) and she was charming and well spoken; also very honest about how busy she was. Someone asked her about queries and she mentioned that like most agents her days are packed full of working for her current clients. She reads queries and manuscripts on the evenings and weekends when she can. She said that she had 600 emails in her inbox right now and 400 were unopened. So, I imagine yes, you'll have a long wait. I'd do what other people say: keep on querying your list of favorite agents, and get your work out widely.

Or start that new novel and try not to think about the other one.
Mandel is offline   Reply With Quote