Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Book Promotion Ideas and Advice
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
AnneGlynn
If you don't try, you can't fail

AnneGlynn is well-respected
Giving it away

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere but have any of the self-publishers here done novel giveaways on Goodreads?

If so, did it spike reader interest in your book? Did the freebie(s) increase sales or reviews or conversations -- and would you do it again?

My website? http://www.anneglynn.com/

Most weeks, I write about writing and romance, and writing romances. Most weeks. You have been warned.
AnneGlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
MartinD
New kid, abuse me!

MartinD is on a distinguished road
Don't know the answer (sorry) but I think you'd get more response if you showed Goodreads in your title. Something like, 'Giving it away (GOODREADS)'.
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've done two giveaways (at the end of one right now). I believe it does spark interest, but I can't give you hard numbers. I gave away two paperback books the first time and received one review (the winners are not obligated to write a review, by the way). My current giveaway will end on April 28th. I am providing two paperback copies for that one as well. You can only giveaway paperback books, no e-books.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
AnneGlynn
If you don't try, you can't fail

AnneGlynn is well-respected
Thank you, M.

I don't blame you for not having hard numbers; I'm not sure how you could get an exact count on that kind of thing, anyway. But what makes you think sales were spurred?

Also, if you'll share, why two copies of each book?

My website? http://www.anneglynn.com/

Most weeks, I write about writing and romance, and writing romances. Most weeks. You have been warned.
AnneGlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Once the giveaway was done, I saw an uptick in sales at Amazon. I surmised, though this is purely speculation, that those who did not win the freebie, decided to buy the book (either in e-book or paperback format). It could simply be a coincidence. I'll be watching this go 'round as well, to see if the same thing happens. I track Amazon sales in an Excel spreadsheet daily, so I can track patterns.

I chose two copies as I didn't want to pay to purchase and mail more but wanted to giveaway more than one.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Michael Davis
practical experience, FTW

Michael Davis is well-respected
A gentleman named Coker from Smachwords has a free book on promotion of SP E books and in a couple chapters he discusses that very topic. I'm not sure but I'd swear he had some graphs in there showing sells post give away campaign. If I still had the link I'd provide it, should be able to go to smashwords and search for his freebies.

Tainted Hero, "Sometimes good people do bad things"
Blind Consent, "The answers lie in the secrets of the past."
Shadow of Guilt, "To every crossing of paths, there is a reason."
Touch of Blue, "What is our destiny?"
Veil of Deception , "Sometimes truth cuts deeper than a lie."

Michael Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

Here's a link to Mark Coker's book. It's free!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
JustJas

JustJas is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the heads up and the link. I just downloaded this book.It looks interesting.

Edit: Love this quote from the book

"Darwin is in charge. This is a game of survival of the fittest. Writers who honor readers by publishing great books will reach the most readers."

Last edited by JustJas; 04-29-2012 at 02:58 PM.
JustJas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
incognito
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

incognito is on a distinguished road
Goodreads giveaways

Does anyone have experience of Goodreads giveaways? I did one last year and thought it was worth it. On that occasion, I only gave away two copies. This time, I want to give away more.

Financially, I would be just about comfortable with giving away five copies. But a lot of people give away ten. I understand this is potentially double the number of people reading it and raving about it on Goodreads, which could be good for sales. But that's double the investment.

What are people's views on this?
incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Captcha
Hmmm... I think I disagree.

Captcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Give away e-books rather than print? Then there's no investment, really...
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
JustJas

JustJas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
Give away e-books rather than print? Then there's no investment, really...
Goodreads only allow giveaways for print books. I wish they would open this promotion to ebooks as well as it seems a bit behind the times to limit it.

I have never tried this as a promotion, but I know others who have, with mixed results. One friend did not get any reviews or ratings out of it, while another got a few reviews and saw an increase in sales.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Captcha
Hmmm... I think I disagree.

Captcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Wow, I wonder why? Maybe they're worried they'd get flooded with giveaways. That sucks.

Could you give away the print copies you can afford, and have a note on the goodreads page directing readers to another giveaway at your blog or website? You could give e-books at the second location, PLUS have people looking at your other books...
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you win a book in a GoodReads giveaway you're supposed to review it.

I suppose it's cold comfort to authors that people who don't review the books are not allowed to win any more.

I also suspect that if they allowed ebooks they would be flooded with them fast, since they're so much easier and cheaper for publishers. Speaking as a reader, I cherish physical books more.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I thought Goodreads was just a place to list the books I've read.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
KellyC1
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

KellyC1 is on a distinguished road
Just yesterday I saw a giveaway on Goodreads for 50 copies via PDF, so maybe there is a way around it, but I'm yet to try it myself.

Evolution - www.amazon.com/evolution

Facebook
KellyC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
oaktree
figuring it all out

oaktree is on a distinguished road
if you did a goodreads giveaway...

How much time did you leave between the time you listed the giveaway and the time the giveaway occurred? I can't seem to find if there is a standard length for these (1 week? 2?).

Would appreciate any thoughts from those who have done it.
oaktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #17
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

I allotted two weeks. A month seemed too long and a week seemed too short.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think what you most want from a goodreads giveaway is to make people aware of your book's existence, because I don't think it will translate into very many immediate sales. That's why I think it's best to offer one every three or four months. My historical is now on the to-be-read list of 283 people. Thats after three giveaways.

1 for two months- 830 people entered
1 for one month- 492 people entered
1 for two months - 776 people entered.

Don't they say in marketing a person has to see a product at least three times before they might remember it?
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
oaktree
figuring it all out

Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
That's why I think it's best to offer one every three or four months.
I read somewhere that Goodreads only does giveaways for books that have been out fewer than six months. Is this not true?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree View Post
Thanks, everyone!

I read somewhere that Goodreads only does giveaways for books that have been out fewer than six months. Is this not true?

I've never heard that. I have one going on right now for my first book and it came out in August, 2010
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
Celeste Carrara

Celeste Carrara has a spectacular aura
Thanks OP for asking about this. Great information here!

I'm thinking of doing this as well. I have 2 ebooks, one is a novel and one is a novelette. I plan on doing a giveaway for the novel. I used lulu.com to have 5 copies printed and will give away 2 and run the giveaway for 2 weeks. My hope is that it brings attention to my book, gets people to add it to their "to read" list and maybe the winners will love the book and then spread the word.

As a Goodreads member myself (in real life, not my pen) I have received a free giveaway and I know I reviewed that book and told my friends about it because I loved it. Goodreads is how I found out about most of the books I've read. As an avid reader it's such a great site to use. I have the app on my phone & when I'm in the bookstore I'll see a boook that looks interesting & I'll use the app to check the reviews. If it has 3 stars or more, I buy it!
Celeste Carrara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #22
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

I've never heard of the six-month rule. I'd double check that. Goodreads has a page describing their giveaways and what is expected from the author.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
oaktree
figuring it all out

Thanks-- I read about the six month issue here:
http://www.novelpublicity.com/2012/0...ow-youll-need/

(scroll down to the comments, and talks about it there.)

also here:
http://www.ashlandcreekpress.com/blog/tag/goodreads/

yet I can't find anything on the goodreads site itself.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #24
merrihiatt
Requiescat In Pace

I would contact Goodreads directly and ask them if there is a time limit. Most of the time it's best to go the source when you have a question that needs a definitive answer.

Last edited by merrihiatt; 05-12-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #25
Celeste Carrara

Celeste Carrara has a spectacular aura
Here is the info about the six month issue (which isn't true) from the Goodreads site:

"Can I list a giveaway for a book that's already been published?

While most books in the giveaway program are new releases or haven't yet been released, we don't have a rule against books that were published in previous years. Feel free to do so! Just remember to leave the "release date" field blank or type in "January 1, 2012" as a placeholder."

I'm bummed cause I tried to do a giveaway with the print copies I made of my ebook. It requires an ISBN# which I have but since that ISBN# isn't registered on Goodreads as a printed copy I can't list it for a giveaway. I can't add that version because I don't plan on doing POD.
Celeste Carrara is offline   Reply With Quote