Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW History; Questions and Discussion > Remembrances
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
hester
New year, new avatar.

hester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admiration
RIP Maurice Sendak

He was 83. Sad loss .

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
dawinsor
Dorothy A. Winsor

dawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudge
What an imagination he had, and he didn't hesitate to let children face their fears. Here's to you, Maurice. Let the wild rumpus begin.

"Kid, have you rehabilitated yourself?"

Bobak is my co-pilot.
dawinsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Be with the Wild Things, Mr. Sendak, and thank you.

Maryn, saddened
Old 05-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Nonuw
taking time to smell the flowers

Nonuw is on a distinguished road
Sad...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
kobold
green manalishi

kobold is on a distinguished road
'We'll eat you up, we love you so!'

Where the Wild Things Are was the first book my parents ever read to me. Flawless story, perfect title.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Sendak.

sentient storms,

a deaf psychic protagonist with a lesbian black-belt sidekick,

and

a gateway to Hell via phosphorescent mushrooms

is

SOUND OF DARKNESS
100,000 words
kobold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In the Night Kitchen was probably his finest book, and it's a shame it never got the same attention as Where the Wild Things Are. I loved Really Rosie to death and found Outside Over There quietly terrifying. His little rhyme books, I loved them. And I still have his Jumiper Tree version of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

He was one of the best.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #7
Sheila Muirenn
Rebuilding My Brain

Sheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheila Muirenn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I first read Where the Wild Things Are in second grade, around 1977. My teacher--her name was Miss Damm--made a big deal about this book. And its artwork. We all had to pick a 'wild thing,' and trace its outline onto poster-board by using an overhead projector. I chose the striped t-shirt guy with the horns.

Can't ever forget that book.

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3475044

An bheatha shíoraí (Un VA-ha HEER-ee)
Forever. Living
Nighttime. It’s time. Wake. Wake.
Sheila Muirenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
Mclesh
It's too hot

Mclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My first memory of Where the Wild Things Are is my teacher reading it to my first grade class. It was really appropriate for our class full of wild things.

It's kind of amazing that in just 383 words, he was able to create such an enduring classic. Of course, his illustrations were perfect.

RIP, Mr. Sendak.

Facebook, Twitter
Website, Goodreads, Pinterest

Check out Grandma Susie's book of love poems on Createspace!

When all else fails, just Lavern it. ~ Lavern
Let's just hit people with sticks. ~ alleycat
Mclesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm so sad. He is my #2 favorite LGBT kidlit author hero. Today I brought one of my Wild Thing stuffed animals to work with me in my pocket so I would not be lonely.

"...and an ocean tumbled by with a private boat for Max
and he sailed off through night and day
and in and out of weeks
and almost over a year
to where the wild things are."
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One of a kind.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthood
Can't imagine my childhood without his books.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Sad news.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
regdog
Kreon Prowl
AW Moderator

Location: Protecting, Serving and well he's a Kreon so who knows what he's up to
regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

My Blog-Updated on 7/18/14 Food Allergies

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Snowybunny12
practical experience, FTW

Snowybunny12 is on a distinguished road
This is so sad He was such a wonderful author
Snowybunny12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Kim Krodel
Deep-Fried Fiction since 2011

Kim Krodel is on a distinguished road
Happy trails, Mr. Sendak. Thanks for helping us all dream a little more vividly.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
wishflower
blanket fort afficianado

wishflower has a spectacular aurawishflower has a spectacular aura
So sad to lose such an incredible artist.
Who could help but be inspired by his words and art? I also find his 50 year committed relationship an inspiration to the LGBT community. Hopefully everyone finds time this week to rumpus in memory of a legend.

Nightmute - Dark Fantasy YA (post-beta revisions)

The Gravitational Pull of Snow - Contemporary YA (drafting)

Twitter
wishflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... had a good long life. So no real tragedy. Is still a sad occasion. He brought joy to many kids, including me. RIP.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
Aeslynn
Look, a distraction!

Aeslynn is on a distinguished road
“Once a little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children’s letters — sometimes very hastily — but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, “Dear Jim: I loved your card.” Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said, “Jim loved your card so much he ate it.” That to me was one of the highest compliments I’ve ever received. He didn’t care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it.”
― Maurice Sendak

RIP, Mr. Sendak.
Aeslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
mrsvalkyrie
Hounds of Justice

mrsvalkyrie has a spectacular aura
When I was a child, I used to get his four mini-books that came in the box from the library every time we were there. My mom would read them to me every night. The box was so beat up... but I loved them. At some point, they disappeared. Then, just a couple years ago, my mom gave me them for Christmas. I cried when I saw them. These were my favorite books. May he rest in peace.

The Perfect Soldier - Complete. Editing.

Afterlife Redemption (working title; formerly Realm of Fear): 47,500/80,000 -- ON HOLD
mrsvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
mugwort
practical experience, FTW

mugwort is on a distinguished road
I knows its somewhat late to respond. He could be a curmudgeon but a darn good writer. Not just for kids but for everyone interested in quality writing.