Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #401
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That is new. Thanks for the heads-up.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #402
Corinne Duyvis
She of the Comfortable Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a shiny, shiny jewelCorinne Duyvis is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip-Hop-a-potamus View Post
I was checking into agents for my current WIP and stumbled across Diana. It appears as though her website is now directing right to her PM page.

Financial problems not being able to keep the domain, or just too much work keeping it up, maybe?
I imagine it's the latter. Domains are seriously cheap (at least for simple, low-traffic website like most agents').
* Disability in Kidlit

For ten years, he's witnessed a far-off world through the eyes of a far-off girl. Now, she finds out.
OTHERBOUND, a YA fantasy coming June 17, 2014, from Amulet Books.
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #403
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If the domain is redirecting to PM, she still owns it. She is one of the most-queried agents with many successful clients, so perhaps she decided she didn't need a big website. Redirecting to PM is just fine.
kellion92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #404
dianafox
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

dianafox is on a distinguished road
The domain www.foxliterary.com has been redirected to my Publishers Marketplace page for the past three years. It is definitely not due to financial problems! At this point I don't have a website by choice, because I think it's better to have no website at all than a bad or out of date one, but I linked to PM so anyone looking for submission guidelines and other basic info could find it.

I have had a few reports of temporary problems with the submissions at foxliterary address, but as far as I can tell the emails in question were probably sent during a brief window when the server was down--which like all servers, my mail server unfortunately does from time to time--since resending later seemed to resolve the problem. If this has happened to more than one person here, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience! Email is not perfect and I'm afraid things do occasionally get lost in cyberspace, but author submissions are important to me and I try to keep up with them.
dianafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #405
Queen of Swords
starting over

Queen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
That happened to me. I'd sent a requested full in August of last year from my regular email address, and status queried about two weeks ago. No reply, so I tried again today from another email address and got an answer (Diana's pretty backlogged, but she's getting to August submissions).
Update to my post of 3/09/11 - After not hearing back regarding the requested full, I took this as a "no response most likely means no". I sent a query for a different manuscript instead a few days ago.

The Deepest Ocean is available now!

Website
Blog Twitter
Queen of Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #406
ThomasWest3

ThomasWest3 is on a distinguished road
Query Turnaround Time?

I sent Ms. Fox a Query about a month and a half ago and have not heard back. I know that she has a policy of responding to e-queries regardless of whether it is a pass or not, so I'm wondering if perhaps I should e-mail for a status update or just to make sure that it didn't slip through the cracks. How long have others had to wait for a response to a query? Is this an appropriate action to take? If so, what is the appropriate type of wording for an e-mail of this type?
ThomasWest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #407
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWest3 View Post
I sent Ms. Fox a Query about a month and a half ago and have not heard back. I know that she has a policy of responding to e-queries regardless of whether it is a pass or not, so I'm wondering if perhaps I should e-mail for a status update or just to make sure that it didn't slip through the cracks. How long have others had to wait for a response to a query? Is this an appropriate action to take? If so, what is the appropriate type of wording for an e-mail of this type?
Ms. Fox uses a maybe pile, so that's probably where your query is sitting right now. I've had to wait two or three months for her reply in the past, but that reply only came after I followed up.

I usually say something like, "I queried you on [this day] with my [genre] manuscript, [title]. Since I've yet to hear back from you--and since I know you respond to everyone--I just thought I'd check in and make sure my query made it to you. If you're still considering my query, great. If not, I've included a copy of the query and sample pages below this note. Thanks again for your time and consideration."

Hope that helps!

www.motherwrite.blogspot.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #408
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She can take a long time to respond. I first queried her in Dec. 2009, got no answer, and queried again on a revised version in June 2010. After hearing nothing, I nudged in Dec. 2010. She replied, saying that she'd put
my query in her 'maybe' pile. It then took her another six months to reject a requested partial, but she did offer some great feedback and excellent reasons for her decision.

I've queried her again on another project.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #409
ThomasWest3

ThomasWest3 is on a distinguished road
Further Clarification

Krista:
How long after your re-query did you hear back from her? I just want to get a sense of how long I should wait before getting concerned.

Thomas
ThomasWest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #410
lweinberg18
practical experience, FTW

lweinberg18 is well-respected
I queried her on my first mss forever ago with no response period. I queried less than week ago, mentioning I had a prior agent. She rejected the current mss, an epic fantasy (I think she does mainly urban), but apologized like she was sincerely sorry she had to pass. Very nice! Kind of an ego boost

My new website. (http://laneheymont.com/)

Oh, and I Twitter!
lweinberg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #411
Krista G.
AW Addict

Krista G. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWest3 View Post
Krista:
How long after your re-query did you hear back from her? I just want to get a sense of how long I should wait before getting concerned.

Thomas
I went back and checked my records, and in both cases, I followed up after two or two and a half months. Once I followed up, she responded right away--like, within a day or two--since she's usually pretty on top of incoming queries.

I noticed someone on QueryTracker got a full request a little more than two months after she queried, so she can take a while to circle back around to the queries she sticks in her maybe pile.

Good luck!

www.motherwrite.blogspot.com
Krista G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #412
lyrwriter
A Fuzzy Mango With Wings

lyrwriter is on a distinguished road
Queried her on 4/6/12, quick response (form rejection) on 4/10/12 for quirky YA fantasy. Oh well!

Check out my blog! There's plenty more to go around: A Fuzzy Mango With Wings
lyrwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #413
ThunderBoots
Back with new name, no dachshunds

ThunderBoots is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth: I e-queried her a month ago and haven't heard anything.

Does this mean that I made it into her "maybe" pile?

[Yes, I realize I'm asking you folks to read her mind, but I nonetheless feel compelled to ask that question.]

ThunderBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #414
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolness
Eek! Good luck, ThunderBoots. I hope you're in her maybe pile but...who knows with the Fox...

Places you can find me other than AW:
Blog!
Twitter (tweet tweet)

YA Contemporary: (52,000) Querying. *bites nails*
V!0L3NT D3L!GHTS: (70,800) Trunked.
TH3 R0S3 K!NGD0M: (74,000) Trunked forever.
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #415
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

It can take a while, with her. If she's your dream agent or not, keep querying other agents.

Works in progress: too many.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #416
ThunderBoots
Back with new name, no dachshunds

ThunderBoots is on a distinguished road
Smile Crazy like a Fox

It's coming up on six weeks, and still no response from The Fox.

Which is fine, really -- it was just a query, after all.

[Note that I can be so philosophical/resigned because other agents have requested fulls ...]
ThunderBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #417
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Much as I like her, I have to admit that six weeks is rather fast for Ms. Fox's usual response time to queries. Try four to six months! So keep querying, and if one of those other full requests turns into an offer, drop Diana an email about it.

Works in progress: too many.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #418
D.Owczarek

D.Owczarek has a spectacular auraD.Owczarek has a spectacular aura
E-queried on 7/14 - polite rejection this morning.

I have to say, I must have picked a really good week to query my first novel. I've sent out only seven queries so far, starting on the 14th, and I've heard back from four agents already. Very very fast responses!

D.Owczarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #419
jcroc

jcroc is on a distinguished road
Thunderboots not sure if you heard back. If not don't lose heart - I got a full request at the beginning of August after sending a query in March (so approx. 5 months).

I was very surprised, as I'd almost forgotten about the query (and I'd also made substantial revisions since sending my initial query round. When I queried Diana I still had my first draft goggles firmly in place).

I think Diana sounds very busy so I'm not expecting a response for several months. It's tough in limbo-land, but I've had a couple more full requests recently, yay! (From Marietta Zacker, and from Ninja Agent Rainbow after WriteOnCon).

If you haven't heard that might well be a good sign - it was for me.
jcroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #420
fuguigirl

fuguigirl is on a distinguished road
Query turn around time

I sent a query to Ms. Fox on Nov 18/12 and she replied that she wanted to read more on Nov 24/12. Five days is pretty fast in my books, but that's not to say that she is always that fast. I'm sure she gets pretty back logged.
I have not heard from her since but have read here that she can take around three months to reply to a full manuscript.

I figure December was a write off, especially with all the flooding in NYC and that Ms. Fox mentioned, on twitter?? I can't remember, that she had to relocate during it for a little while.

I'm wondering when I should ask about her thoughts though. Any suggestions??

--Fuguigirl
fuguigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #421
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuguigirl View Post
I have not heard from her since but have read here that she can take around three months to reply to a full manuscript.
I've had no reply 12+ months after a requested full, just for reference. I know Diana is busy so I've written it off.
Parametric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #422
pavtbr

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
I queried Diana this evening for my historical fiction. I'll post back when I have a response.
Bryan
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #423
pavtbr

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
Got a rejection yesterday. So for anyone querying, right now it's a fast turnaround time (at least it was for me).
Bryan
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #424
JJPie

JJPie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavtbr View Post
Got a rejection yesterday. So for anyone querying, right now it's a fast turnaround time (at least it was for me).
Bryan
Ditto. I had about the same turnaround for the R.
JJPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #425
Samantha Lane

Samantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewelSamantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewel
She's still responding quickly. Queried 5/24, polite and encouraging form R today, 5/31.

Samantha Lane is offline   Reply With Quote