Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #1101
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
@muse, I think we're supposed to have like a fricking bite of chocolate a day and have a beer on weekends. That's EXACTLY why I won't be losing much more weight.

Chocolate is an important food group. As a woman, a human, and an author, I WILL not give up a food group for vanity. Just look what happened to those people who died from Atkins. No way. I will stand up for my health and the welfare of humanity--which would otherwise have to deal with ME-sans-chocolate. (Not a pretty site).

How's that for WILLpower?

When it comes to chocolate resistance is futile.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #1102
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
QFT.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #1103
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShakesbear is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Yes. Exactly.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1104
wonderactivist
practical experience, FTW

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:

I second this.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #1105
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Did some good work to-day - I'm hoping that it will lead to about 800 words tomorrow (in which case I'll post triumphantly in the May thread ) But just for now, I'm off to walk around some terribly old Roman ruins.

*sigh*.

I love France.

Oh, PS: Chocolate is for people who can't handle brie. Just sayin'
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #1106
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OK, I came here to prop myself up a bit. My daughter has court this morning. Going for child support. Hope the other family doesn't cause a scene. I wished things would have worked out better with them, but we'll see. Custody is next week. Ugh...

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #1107
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
Or vegans who think cheese is icky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
OK, I came here to prop myself up a bit. My daughter has court this morning. Going for child support. Hope the other family doesn't cause a scene. I wished things would have worked out better with them, but we'll see. Custody is next week. Ugh...
Oh no! I'm so sorry. What an awful thing for your kiddo to go through. I hope and pray this works out as amicably as possible.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #1108
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
This is no fun.

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #1109
mccardey

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Or vegans who think cheese is icky.
Vegans who think cheese is icky won't eat chocolate will they? They'll eat carob.

ugh

carob.

:

Sleuth - I hope things work out well. Awful situation
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #1110
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Unless they like chocolate flavored brie.

Quote:
Hope it all goes well, HS. Horrible situation. I had to take my ex to court for child support, ended up getting 5p a year!

Whatever happens, at least your daughter knows she has you by her side.
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #1111
wonderactivist
practical experience, FTW

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Whatever happens, at least your daughter knows she has you by her side.
I agree, and we're by YOUR side. Take a journal with you and when she isn't needing your support, record the drama. You might find it useful in your next book.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #1112
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Vegans who think cheese is icky won't eat chocolate will they? They'll eat carob.

ugh

carob.

:
No, chocolate is naturally vegan. It's when it's cut with milk, etc, that it becomes unnatural.

(I agree on carob. Ick.)

Quote:
Unless they like chocolate flavored brie.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #1113
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hope things go well for your daughter, History.

Got the last passes today, so my book's officially off sub. *pouts*

I'm gonna have a piece of chocolate and go out for a really good lunch and try not to mope. Not the end of the world, right? Try again with the next one and see what happens.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #1114
mccardey

Sucks

Have some brie.

And you know what? It's not you, it's them.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #1115
kaitie

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Might be true, but doesn't make it much easier. I worry that the new one is too weird. Hoping not. Weird is good, right? Weird = original?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #1116
mccardey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
Might be true, but doesn't make it much easier. I worry that the new one is too weird. Hoping not. Weird is good, right? Weird = original?
Nothing makes it easier. But there's brie. Or, you know, chocolate...
Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #1117
kaitie

The brie definitely helps. As does the chocolate. I just don't recommend mixing the two...

Unless chocolate and cheese are mixed in the form of a cannoli. That is TOTALLY acceptable.

Man, now I want a cannoli. I think I shall treat myself to one!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #1118
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
, kaitie.

I'll eat some chocolate in commiseration. And as far as I know, weird is totally good. (But carob is bad.)

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #1119
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry Kaitie, but your all ready ahead of the game by working on your next one. And I like weird, personally.

Well after sitting 3 hours (as they over scheduled themselves) it is postponed until a paternity test is done. Since he did the paternity form when he was 17 (when the baby was born) it doesn't count. So they will probably postpone on Monday too. Ugh.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #1120
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
Hope things go well for your daughter, History.

Got the last passes today, so my book's officially off sub. *pouts*

I'm gonna have a piece of chocolate and go out for a really good lunch and try not to mope. Not the end of the world, right? Try again with the next one and see what happens.
Well damn. (((hugs))) That bites. That's truly a book that should be published. I'm sorry.

Is your new one ready to go, or is it the one you're working on now?

Quote:
Sorry Kaitie, but your all ready ahead of the game by working on your next one. And I like weird, personally.

Well after sitting 3 hours (as they over scheduled themselves) it is postponed until a paternity test is done. Since he did the paternity form when he was 17 (when the baby was born) it doesn't count. So they will probably postpone on Monday too. Ugh.
Ugh. They couldn't have said that w/o you waiting for 3 hours?!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 AM   #1121
kaitie

Nowhere near ready to go. I have an older one that, with some tweaking, I'll send, but it needs another beta run and revision before I do. I'm not sure that it's good enough to even warrant sending, but I'll at least put it out there.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #1122
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Best wishes HS. Really hope things work out.

Carob? Friend of mine at college suggested trying that because she was intolerant to something in ordinary chocolate (or actually just said she was, turned out she was pretty much only intolerant to work). So I got some from the organic food store to try. Yeah, pretty much go with mccardey's opinion on that one.

Kaitie, that sucks. As I think I said before, I thought the concept of the book sounded really cool. Just sounds like some folks don't know a good idea when they read it. I just hope you find success and they'll see that they should've pubbed it after all.

I am going to see what new flavours of Milka chocolate bar are out as they seem to be doing lots of weird flavours (new one is chocolate-pear, which actually is really good), to recover from my MS Word nightmare yesterday. Then I think I'll be taking myself to the Italian restaurant round the corner again. Been wanting to go there since I moved here, since it's pretty much the only restaurant in this area, but was too scared because my Czech wasn't good enough. Monday, just went in, ordered, answered anything I was asked, and got one of the nicest meals I've ever had. So little bit proud of myself.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #1123
mccardey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
Been wanting to go there since I moved here, since it's pretty much the only restaurant in this area, but was too scared because my Czech wasn't good enough. Monday, just went in, ordered, answered anything I was asked, and got one of the nicest meals I've ever had. So little bit proud of myself.
Well done, you! I'm doing that in French. Fun, isn't it?

Note: doesn't work with the Swiss so much...
Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #1124
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Zelenka!

Mccardey, you sound like you're having the time of your life.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #1125
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
Oh, more of my favourite writers here too, I must go through all the threads again and find where people hang out. Is there a name of for tortoise-slow writers who find a little niche on a forum thread and just stay there for ever and ever?