Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
snowdog
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

snowdog is on a distinguished road
Sam's Dot Publishing / White Cat Publications

Hi folks,

Can anyone here tell me about Sams Dot Publishing? I'm considering submitting a novella to them. I'm specifically looking at the submission guidelines for one of their stand-alone magazines, Sams Dot Cameos. Here's the link:

http://www.samsdotpublishing.com/cameoGL.htm

...and the following URL has a listing for the submission guidelines of their assorted magazines, in case you want to check those out:

http://www.samsdotpublishing.com/guidelines.htm

Any info appreciated-and thanks for your time!
snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The editor is very nice to work with, and they are prompt to respond to queries, send payment, etc for short stories in their mags, but I don't know that they have any distribution in place for books.

Edited to add: I don't think they do any editing, either, based on their novel submission guidelines page.
Unimportant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've never seen any of their books or magazines in a bookstore, including a SF/F-specific bookstore (which I frequent). That's my only datapoint on them, but I'm strongly of the "I want to be published with someone who has decent enough distribution that I can find their books or magazines in specialty bookstores in Boston and New York" persuasion.

On the other hand, it's hard to find markets for novellas.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
The Scribbler
figuring it all out

The Scribbler is on a distinguished road
I reviewed one of their magazines and one of their anthologies for Tales of the Talisman and they were both decent.

Shawn
Author of Dying Moon
http://www.amazon.com/
The Scribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
snowdog

snowdog is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks so much for the responses-they are really appreciated.
snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Marva
practical experience, FTW

Marva is on a distinguished road
I've had stories published and included in an annual Best of... Two chapbooks out and a couple of novellas scheduled. I like them. They treat writers fairly and pay promptly.
Marva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's their front page, since there isn't any "home" link on the sub pages. </peeve>
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Sam's Dot Publishing

Does anyone know anything about this publisher? From what I see, they do a lot of Sf/F.

http://www.samsdotpublishing.com/contents.htm

Guidelines : http://www.samsdotpublishing.com/guidelines.htm

They seem to have a lot of anthologies going on right now according to Duotrope.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
On more than one occasion, I haven't received any replies to them on queries or partials. I'm wondering if they're a non-responder. Any info?
triceretops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
JL_Benet
writer/teacher

JL_Benet is on a distinguished road
Sam's Dot was acquired by White Cat Publications:
http://www.whitecatpublications.com/?p=1514
JL_Benet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
B.C. Brown

B.C. Brown is on a distinguished road
Approached by Sam's Dot...

Hello all. Recently an acquisitions editor for Sam's Dot approached me at a convention. She expressed an interest in picking up my published urban fantasy novel. But I'll admit I can find very little information, other than their website, on this publisher. Does anyone have anything additional on them? Or does anyone know about the status of their merge with White Cat?

Any help is appreciated.

All the best and BREAK A PEN!
-B.C. Brown ~ Paranormal, Mystery, Romance, & Fantasy
"Because Weird is Good."
B.C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. Brown View Post
Hello all. Recently an acquisitions editor for Sam's Dot approached me at a convention. She expressed an interest in picking up my published urban fantasy novel. But I'll admit I can find very little information, other than their website, on this publisher. Does anyone have anything additional on them? Or does anyone know about the status of their merge with White Cat?

Any help is appreciated.

All the best and BREAK A PEN!
-B.C. Brown ~ Paranormal, Mystery, Romance, & Fantasy
"Because Weird is Good."
We merged.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #13
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
It looks like some of the Sam's Dot magazines (Scifaiku and Illumen) have also gone to Alban Lake: http://albanlake.com/guidelines-illumen/

Which is a new publisher I think, and doesn't yet have a thread here.
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like White Cat is in some trouble maybe? Saw this post this morning.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #15
HistorySleuth

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
White Cat Publications/Conjurings Fantasy Magazine

Thought I would start a thread for this as I didn't see one. A few AWers had posted in this thread they were submiting earlier this year. I put a link in the bottom of that thread on them having troubles paying their authors but it really belongs in the B&BC area I think. So here again is the link to their Facebook page post.

According to the post (link above) on their Facebook page, they're not meeting their contracts, magazines are late, sounds like they might be folding. So if anyone has any stories on hold there they may want to check into that in case they need to withdraw them.

If you click right on the publishers name to get to their main wall it seems they have a few upset authors. Just an FYI for you all.

On Amazon.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I quit in July, just after finishing the TOC for issue one. The owner paid for all of us to take this ridiculous anti-pedophile training. It was strange and offensive all at once; I don't deal with children in any capacity, and I was never expected to. If you're wondering where the money to pay authors went, at least part of it went to giving the junior editors the training they needed not to rape children.

I had to beg to get an electronic copy of the magazine, too.

The list of things I consider red flags grew one item stranger over the summer.

Edit:

Dora is wonderful, though.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #17
Morgansmom

Morgansmom is on a distinguished road
How does the authors who signed contracts get out of them if they are going under? Is it as simple as the facebook post said? Just send a email and wait 24 for a answer?
Morgansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #18
HistorySleuth

Thank you for merging. I tried to find it, but I was on my iPad, and it didn't come up in a search.

On Amazon.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Eudaimon

Eudaimon is on a distinguished road
Hi all, Dora here.

I don't honestly know if it will be that simple, but I also strongly doubt that Mr. Moore has any intention of fighting any authors who want out of their agreements.

We went around about the 'contracts' several times, but unless I'm wrong all of the WCP magazine editors were given email agreements to send out rather than paper contracts the writers had to sign. While they are agreements that were signed in good faith and writers are expected to adhere to them, the publisher is expected to adhere to those agreements as well. Contracts can be nullified when it becomes clear that one party or the other is simply incapable of fulfilling its side of the contract. To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Moore and WCP/SDP are simply not capable of printing the magazines on the original, agreed-upon schedule. Therefore, you are within your rights to nullify the contract. The 24 hour response time is just to give him an opportunity to get back to you and let you know if he has an actual plan for your work. If he doesn't, you should be free to take it elsewhere.

Also, if it's any consolation at all, he doesn't have the time to chase down the 100+ authors and artists this affects. If anything, he'll come after me :/

-d
Eudaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #20
HistorySleuth

You may want to merge some comments by the former employees on the current situation posted in this paying markets thread for them. My fault. I posted there first about it because I didn't find this thread. Sorry.

On Amazon.

Last edited by HistorySleuth; 09-14-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
annetookeen
has a hedgehog

annetookeen is a shiny, shiny jewelannetookeen is a shiny, shiny jewel
is this the right place to post this? I got accepted in Illumen, which is now part of Alban Lake. The editor's been really nice and prompt.
annetookeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
bladestalker

bladestalker is on a distinguished road
Why would he come after you???
bladestalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by annetookeen View Post
is this the right place to post this? I got accepted in Illumen, which is now part of Alban Lake. The editor's been really nice and prompt.
I've also received an acceptance from Alban Lake, which went smoothly. Had a slight hiccup with one submission when I misread a line in the submission guidelines and misaddressed my cover letter, which earned me a clarification email rather than an outright rejection And that was just this past week, so whatever is up with White Cat, Alban Lake is still running. Perhaps it should get its own spinoff thread?
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
Bookewyrme
Imagined half of it.

Bookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do if you're still waiting to get paid for content already published. This is my first paid-writing, and I was pretty excited. Now I'm sad to say they are MONTHS late on payment, and the only responses I've ever gotten about it have been from Dora (who was as helpful as she could be, but she didn't know much as she wasn't my editor and doesn't seem to have been in charge of payments). Now, Dora is gone and I don't get anything but automated responses when I email. :|
Bookewyrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #25
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
You may want to merge some comments by the former employees on the current situation posted in this paying markets thread for them. My fault. I posted there first about it because I didn't find this thread. Sorry.
I've copied posts and closed that thread so discussion may continue here.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote