Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #326
flygal716
Jump in the way of good luck

flygal716 is on a distinguished road
I, too, had a great experience with him. He was prompt in responding to my query with a request for a full, acknowledged its receipt, and then responded in a few days with a pass, but he was always attentive and encouraging. I'd try him again with something else.

Website
DEATH OVER EASY, coming in September 2013 from Five Star
DEATH UNDER THE RADAR, WIP

flygal716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #327
pavtbr
practical experience, FTW

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
Query sent

I sent a query to Dr. Stender this evening. Has anyone queried him lately? I will post back once I receive a response, which will probably be quick if my experience is the same as everyone else had.
Bryan
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #328
J.B.Kantt
Aspiring Young Author

J.B.Kantt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavtbr View Post
I sent a query to Dr. Stender this evening. Has anyone queried him lately? I will post back once I receive a response, which will probably be quick if my experience is the same as everyone else had.
Bryan
Hey pavtbr!

Dr. Stender is known as being a VERY quick responder; he usually responds within a day or two, sometimes even within hours (and the website says he tries to respond within a week).

I queried him on March 16th (at 12:30am), and got a full request that same morning (at 8:42am). Haven't heard back on the full yet, but I'm in no rush.

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), TSW (~50K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Waiting for contract (~51K words)

VAB: Outlined, will be written soon

ZA: Outlining ... sort of

Stop by my blog sometime!
J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)
J.B.Kantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #329
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Uwe is very swift and attentive. I don't think he's ever had a bogged down e-mail box.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #330
pavtbr

He was quick. There was a form rejection waiting for me in my inbox when I got up this morning. Oh well. I continue onward!
Bryan
Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #331
J.B.Kantt
Aspiring Young Author

J.B.Kantt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B.Kantt View Post
I queried him on March 16th (at 12:30am), and got a full request that same morning (at 8:42am). Haven't heard back on the full yet, but I'm in no rush.
Haha, I think he read this thread yesterday or this morning, because I had a rejection on my full waiting for me when I woke up this morning.
This is my second FULL rejection this week (and another form one at that), so I'm trying not to get too down about it ...

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), TSW (~50K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Waiting for contract (~51K words)

VAB: Outlined, will be written soon

ZA: Outlining ... sort of

Stop by my blog sometime!
J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)
J.B.Kantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #332
victoryn123
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

victoryn123 is on a distinguished road
Well, I am quite stumped then because I queried him on april 2, and still no response, and the first time I queried him was 6 months ago and never got a response either.
Does he have some kind of filter that wouldn't accept emails from yahoo accounts?
victoryn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #333
Debeucci

Debeucci is a shiny, shiny jewelDebeucci is a shiny, shiny jewel
"We do not respond to postal submissions that aren't accompanied by a SASE and will not return any material unless a SASE accompanies the submission. Do not send personal checks, money orders or cash. Additionally, because of new postal regulations, we cannot use metered mail for returns. All self-addressed stamped envelopes must include stamps."

Admit it, you tried to send cash, didn't you?

Website
Twitter
Goodreads
Debeucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #334
pavtbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryn123 View Post
Well, I am quite stumped then because I queried him on april 2, and still no response, and the first time I queried him was 6 months ago and never got a response either.
Does he have some kind of filter that wouldn't accept emails from yahoo accounts?
Well my query was sent from my yahoo address. Maybe he is taking time because your book is that good...???
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #335
ACROALL
Querying Will be THE DEATH OF ME!

ACROALL is on a distinguished road
Send a query to Mr. Stender a few days ago, got a request for a full today (my first full, yay!) on a crappy query at that.

But, he didn't stipulate how to send the full, so I asked him if he'd like it by post or e-mail. Was that a rookie mistake? Uh-oh?

Hopefully he'll respond back soon!
ACROALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #336
pavtbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACROALL View Post
Send a query to Mr. Stender a few days ago, got a request for a full today (my first full, yay!) on a crappy query at that.

But, he didn't stipulate how to send the full, so I asked him if he'd like it by post or e-mail. Was that a rookie mistake? Uh-oh?

Hopefully he'll respond back soon!
Congrats!!! I think that's a legitimate question to ask if he didn't tell you. Especially if he prefers a certain file format for it electronically. Good luck and keep us posted!
Bryan
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #337
ACROALL

I'm so impatient. :-)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #338
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I had trouble with my email, too. He happened to see my dilemma on this board and invited me to try again. I used an alternate account & put my user name in it so he'd see it. All worked out. Sometimes those spam filters can be really aggressive.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #339
ACROALL

Haven't heard back yet. On QueryTracker, a lot of people say they'll get R's next day (be waiting for them in their inbox upon rousing from sleep). Good sign or bad?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #340
underthecity
Finestkind

underthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You may have seen my posting on querytracker. He requested a full the same day, four hours after I queried him. He said "Please send me the full." So, I emailed it to him, and later I got a "Thank you." So, just email him the manuscript and hope for the best.

On a side note, he is notorious for fast rejections. My last novel I was subbing, I queried him and got a rejection in four minutes.

Blog
Facebook
Four books at the Absolute Write Library

Currently revising: MOUNTAIN MAGIC
Currently trying to write: SNOWED IN
underthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #341
ACROALL

Four minutes! Wow!

Yes, he did respond with a thanks when I e-mailed him the full, so now it's just the waiting game!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #342
ACROALL

Got a semi-form rejection from Dr. Stender this afternoon saying it was well-written, but he didn't "fall in love with it".

Sigh...
Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #343
underthecity
Finestkind

underthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsunderthecity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think we submitted right around the same time. I'm still waiting for a response. But thank you for the update.

Blog
Facebook
Four books at the Absolute Write Library

Currently revising: MOUNTAIN MAGIC
Currently trying to write: SNOWED IN
underthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #344
ACROALL

Funny thing is...it was a form rejection. I wonder if mine just isn't good enough to offer feedback!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #345
J.S.F.

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sent a query to Mr. Stender a couple of weeks ago and then he asked for the full. While I did get rejected--it sucks--he gave me some very helpful feedback which I've used. Not many agents will bother doing that so even though it was a turndown, at least it was a nice one and a helpful one at that.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #346
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What exactly is "misleading" here? He doesn't owe you a request just because your novel has an element that he's interested in. When you go to the bookstore do you feel obligated to buy every book with romantic subplots because you're interested in romantic subplots? Or do you look at the other elements of the novel as well?

A writer is not warranted anything more than a form rejection. Doesn't matter how strong the premise or writing is. For whatever reason your query didn't excite him. That's all. It may excite another agent.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what evidence do you have that your work is strong? I ask because once you have 50 posts (and so have contributed to the forum and gotten to know us, and vice versa) you can post your query and a sample of your work in our password-protected Share Your Work forum (password is vista), and get some feedback on it. It's often immensely helpful to go ahead and offer feedback to others; read the critiques already there and see how they apply to your own work, and critique the work of others. It's a great way to get to know our members, and to learn about writing in general and your work in particular. (And the bonus is that after you offer feedback to people they're sometimes more inclined to offer it to you! )

I know how disheartening it is to get a rejection, especially when you really believed the book was a strong fit for the agent and you really believe in the book (which of course you do, or you wouldn't be querying it). Believe me. This is a tough and painful part of a tough and painful job; of course some of it is wonderful, but other parts are soul-crushing. Unfortunately, as Hyman Roth said, "This is the business we've chosen." And you will, as you go on, begin to look at it with more distance. It never gets easy but it will get easier, and as you learn more about the industry you'll feel a lot better about the whole thing.

Some agents get hundreds of queries per week. Most of them do, in fact. They don't have time to offer detailed feedback on all of those (since they're busy actually representing their clients), and even if they did what would be the point? What one agent hates another may love. What bores one excites another. Telling you what they think would improve your query only helps make it more tailored to them, and they already aren't interested for whatever reason. It may be the writing or story. It may be they already represent a similar book. It may be they have a pet peeve about characters who do X or Y. It may be any number of reasons.

Pretty much every published novel you see on the shelves has gotten a form rejection from at least one agent. Because just like you don't love every single book you read or want to buy every single book you pick up--even if it's in the genre you love--so agents don't love every single query they get or want to represent every single book they get queried for.

Here's what it boils down to: They're not interested. It's not right for them. It doesn't matter why. Another agent might be interested and might think the work is just right for them. Forget this agent and work on finding the one who is. (FWIW I don't believe Dr. Stender is particularly effective as an agent for fiction, anyway.)

And welcome to AW!

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #347
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Goodness. In retrospect it seems that the fact that I had a beeping oven timer and a child asking for the sixth time in two days why we can't have a dog colored my tone a bit. My post seems to read rather harsher than I intended it, at least the beginning of that third paragraph.

I stand by what I said, but am sorry if my tone hurt or upset you, Rebecca. It honestly wasn't intended, and had I not been distracted and in a hurry I would have caught that and fixed it before posting.

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #348
RM_Suma
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

RM_Suma is on a distinguished road
Stacia Kane

No harm done.

All the best,

Rebecca.
RM_Suma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #349
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Always assume good intentions.

And the only thing an agent or editor owes any of us is "yes" or "no" (and anything other than "yes" is "no"). We accept gifts with good grace, but we move along regardless.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #350
HoldinHolden
Blogger, author, poop joke maker

HoldinHolden is well-respected
First post here- I was searching around for info on Mr. Stender and landed here, so hello!
From personal experience, I queried him (nonfiction narrative) and got a response in 5 days asking if he could call me. We spoke on the phone about my project, and he requested a proposal packet. Sent it out and got a response in about 5 minutes thanking me for it. That was Friday, nothing yet. We'll see!
HoldinHolden is offline   Reply With Quote