Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Taylor
practical experience, FTW

Taylor is well-respected
Cover Page guidelines

I'm trying to put together a cover page for my novel. Does anyone have any links to guidelines for that? I found the following online, do you all agree with it, or what? Thanks!

• Unagented:
    • Contact information Name and address, phone number and e-mail address in the top left corner of the page, single spaced, left-justified
    • Title centered, just above the middle of the page
    • by centered and one double-spaced line beneath the title
    • Name or pen name centered and one double-spaced line beneath the word by
    • Word count centered and rounded to the nearest thousand, one double-spaced line beneath your name or pen name
Old 04-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cassandra Marshall has a blog post on nearly every aspect of manuscript formatting (including cover pages).

http://www.camarshall.com/2011/01/ho...anuscript.html
Drachen Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I'm trying to put together a cover page for my novel. Does anyone have any links to guidelines for that? I found the following online, do you all agree with it, or what? Thanks!

• Unagented:
    • Contact information Name and address, phone number and e-mail address in the top left corner of the page, single spaced, left-justified
    • Word count centered and rounded to the nearest thousand, one double-spaced line beneath your name or pen name
This is pretty much what I do, except my word count is upper right and By is on the same line as my name.

You can look up this info in style manuals (Like the Chicago Manual of Style) at your library. I believe the styles vary, so anything that contains the needed info and looks professional should be fine.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
dawookie
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

dawookie is on a distinguished road
Great website. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Cassandra Marshall has a blog post on nearly every aspect of manuscript formatting (including cover pages).

http://www.camarshall.com/2011/01/ho...anuscript.html
dawookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
Taylor
practical experience, FTW

Taylor is well-respected
^^^
Yeah I just used that link and it was quite helpful.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Brigid Barry
Maneater

Brigid Barry is a shiny, shiny jewelBrigid Barry is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post

• Unagented:
The only thing I have ever seen different is "Name or Pen Name". You'd write something like "Jane ReAlname writing as Joan pen Name."

I've also seen to put word count in the upper right hand corner.

Anything a publisher/agent requests trumps anything you find online.

@BrigidBarryAuth
Brigid Barry is offline   Reply With Quote