Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #551
VZW
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

VZW is on a distinguished road
Mary Kole = dream agent. Le sigh. Will query again eventually with another project but will wait.
VZW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #552
saphirablue84
Fighting off ninja plot bunnies

saphirablue84 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Decided to add my voice/experience here. I queried Mary Kole on 12/12 and got a very nice rejection today, 12/16. She seems very nice and I will definitely query her again with my next project after such a nice experience.
saphirablue84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #553
Wisteria Vine
practical experience, FTW

Wisteria Vine has a spectacular aura
Just queried Laura Rennert, one of my dream agents. Queried her a long time ago with my first project and she never responded. I'm hoping for better luck with this new one. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Wisteria Vine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #554
jencarpy
figuring it all out

jencarpy is on a distinguished road
I queried Jennifer on 1.1 nothing yet!
jencarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #555
TeacherLady

TeacherLady is on a distinguished road
Advice needed (also posted on query tracker). I sent first couple of pages of mss to Ms. Kole this summer for a contest she did on her blog. She complimented the pages and asked for more info and asked that I query her when I had finished it. I queried her in September, and when I didn't hear back, nudged in November. (Thought it might have gotten lost.) I know she sends rejections, but I still haven't heard anything. I don't want to nudge again, but if she didn't get them, I don't want to give it up. Suggestions?

(Edit 2/22) Saw where she had sent rejections only days after receiving a query, so assumed mine got lost and resent in January. I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming this is a no response = no. Surely all three emails weren't lost, considering all other queries have been getting through to other agents. Closing it out because I think it would be unprofessional to send any more. I'll admit, I'm a little sad about it. I'm really impressed with Mary Kole, and I kind of had high hopes she would be interested.

Last edited by TeacherLady; 02-22-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Update
TeacherLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #556
Jehhillenberg
More like the queen of typos. Oops!

Jehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
@TeacherLady, I don't have any suggestions beyond what you've already done. It seems a bit odd she hasn't replied to your nudges, but she's probably busy. I hear she has a "maybe pile" so there might be hope. I'm thinking you should receive a response by early March at the least, considering your re-query last month -- maybe.

I also thought Mary Kole was a "NR = No" agent, as the submission guidelines imply on their site. So I closed out my query sent in around the end of December (the 30th I think). Today I got a personalized rejection. She was high on my wishlist and is a great agent.

"What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

"I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless
Jehhillenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #557
TeacherLady

TeacherLady is on a distinguished road
Received my rejection today. Surprised, as I had closed this out, but disappointed nonetheless. I will admit I was really hoping she would want to see more. She seems to be such a great agent - good luck to all those still waiting.

Thanks, jehhillenberg, and sorry about your R.

Luckily, had a partial request from another agency yesterday, so that did soften the blow. But only a bit. : )
TeacherLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #558
Jehhillenberg
More like the queen of typos. Oops!

Jehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherLady View Post
Received my rejection today. Surprised, as I had closed this out, but disappointed nonetheless. I will admit I was really hoping she would want to see more. She seems to be such a great agent - good luck to all those still waiting.

Thanks, jehhillenberg, and sorry about your R.

Luckily, had a partial request from another agency yesterday, so that did soften the blow. But only a bit. : )
Thanks. And congrats on the partial!

"What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

"I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless
Jehhillenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #559
lyrwriter
A Fuzzy Mango With Wings

lyrwriter is on a distinguished road
I pitched to Ms. Kole at a conference a few months ago. She was quite nice, but I could tell from her reaction to the pitch that she wasn't all that into it. She mentioned the difficulty of selling boy POV in YA fiction, as well as the fact that the (admittedly bizarre) premise struck her as more MG than YA, but she told me to go ahead and send her stuff. Anyhow, sent a query and pages on 4/1/12 and got a form rejection today. Ah, well. So it goes! I may query ABLA again for a different project, if needs be. They seem like an awesome agency.
lyrwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #560
JayliaDarkness
Stepping through the Shadows

JayliaDarkness is well-respected
I queried Mary with my young adult steampunk in January 2012. In March, I received an offer of representation from another agent, which I accepted. I heard back from Mary today asking for the full if I would make some adjustments. I told her I already had an agent – who had suggested those same adjustments. Mary emailed back her congratulations and told me that if I ever need representation in the future, to contact her. She seemed very professional and kind.

Blog: http://kissedbyliterature.blogspot.com/
If you like my writing, you can "like" me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Jordan-Elizabeth-Mierek/134299303402268?fref=ts
WattPad: http://www.wattpad.com/user/JordanMierek

Represented by Belcastro Literary Agency
JayliaDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #561
Beckstah
Zen-ish

Beckstah is a shiny, shiny jewelBeckstah is a shiny, shiny jewel
Congratulations on your offer, JayliaDarkness! Best of luck on submission!
Beckstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #562
MatthewB

MatthewB is on a distinguished road
Congrats JayliaDarkness!

I sent a query out to Jen Rofé from AB this week and I’m anxiously waiting to hear back from her. Anyone have any idea how long she takes to respond?
MatthewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #563
Liz_cm
New, but ready and revving to go

Liz_cm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria Vine View Post
Just queried Laura Rennert, one of my dream agents. Queried her a long time ago with my first project and she never responded. I'm hoping for better luck with this new one. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Wish you the best of luck! I am also hoping when I start querying to send my piece to her as well.

"Allegheny Academy" Realistic teen fiction- brainstorming/plotting (5K)

Liz_cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #564
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Mary Kole announced on her blog today that she's moving to Movable Type: http://kidlit.com/2012/05/09/big-announcement/
Old 05-10-2012, 04:04 AM   #565
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Thanks for the heads up, JoyMC.

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #566
Becca C.
Recovering Canucks Fan

Location: Google says 1 hour, 8 minutes north of Vancouver, BC
Becca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudgeBecca C. is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post
Mary Kole announced on her blog today that she's moving to Movable Type: http://kidlit.com/2012/05/09/big-announcement/
Very interesting change. I had an R&R with Mary a year ago or so, and I'll definitely be querying her with my new book at her new agency. Her clean slate might be a good chance for me.

Now represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!
Becca C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #567
JSSchley
Have Harp Will Travel

JSSchley is a glorious beacon of lightJSSchley is a glorious beacon of light
Oh goodie. I had already planned on breaking the "don't query more than one agent" thing and querying Mary if my r&r doesn't pan out. Now this makes a completely non-problem.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #568
thundergirl

thundergirl is on a distinguished road
Laura Rennert

Has anyone queried Laura Rennert lately?
thundergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #569
JennyCP

JennyCP is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergirl View Post
Has anyone queried Laura Rennert lately?
Yes, I did on 5.8. I haven't heard back yet.
JennyCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #570
Cricket18
Gnawing my hairless tail

Cricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Does anyone have stats on Jen L.? She's had my full for 2+ months. Now, I know that's not all that long for a full, but I'm still losing hope.

I checked on QT, but there's not much there.

Can anyone instill me with some hope?

Cricket18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #571
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
JennL has taken 3-5 months on fulls of mine in the past.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain #2):

This week, I'm in: San Diego!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #572
Cricket18
Gnawing my hairless tail

Cricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
JennL has taken 3-5 months on fulls of mine in the past.
Thank you, Sage. That helps a lot!
Cricket18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #573
IrisFlower81
Flower Girl

IrisFlower81 is on a distinguished road
I queried Laura Rennert on June 21st. Still waiting to hear back--they have a six week window, I believe--but I'm not terribly optimistic. I don't think they respond unless they want material.

My Projects:

The Recruited--YA thriller (querying--yikes!)
Positively Anonymous--NA contemporary (querying)
Facing the Music--YA contemporary (re-writing)
IrisFlower81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #574
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Woo-hoo!

EQ'd Caryn Wiseman on 8/1 and just got a full request! She said she may take 8 weeks. Super excited for my first ABLA request. It's middle grade contemporary (multicultural).
Old 08-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #575
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Congrats Joy!!

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote