Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > Writers Literary Agency/AEG Publishing Group/Strategic Book Publishing/Eloquent Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #51
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lawsuit update:

Oh dear, oh dear. All that PR'ing, and it comes to naught. Frank Sorrentino has apologized (and identified Fletcher as a "con artist"), and according to news reports, Fletcher has been ordered to pay $5,000.

Per the legal documents (which I've been accessing through PACER), the court granted the preliminary injunction (though not before Fletcher filed a counter-suit alleging defamation by the plaintiffs), and all parties subsequently reached a settlement (though not before Sorrentino and Fletcher each identified the other as the main actor in the affair).

Probably safe to say there will now be no "six figure" book deal...

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #52
C. K. Casner
is a twisted individual

C. K. Casner is well-respected
I'm not laughing, I swear.

*chuckle*

Last edited by C. K. Casner; 07-03-2011 at 03:38 AM.
C. K. Casner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #53
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Review of Strategic Book Publishing Group

A first-person account from one of their minions.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #54
WriterMomto3
New kid, be gentle!

WriterMomto3 is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Mr. MacDonald, for posting that link. I think Regina summed it up very nicely for those of us who worked for Robert Fletcher when she said, "Truthfully, I should have quit before it ever got this far, but jobs are hard to come by and I'm one of these people [who] believes in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. After all, they had paid me a few times, eventually they would get the point and start paying me on time, right? Wrong! That was my mistake, I kept believing there had to be some good in the company and the owner. After all we are all having tough times financially, or so I thought."

When I first went to work for Robert, I knew very little about the company and had been personally asked to work there. This is a mistake I'll not make again, going forward I thoroughly research any business and/or person I work for. I worked for about a year before information began to come to light about Robert's business practices. I hung in there, thinking that those people had to be wrong. I bought into Robert's lines about how they just didn't like them and that they were frustrated writers. (My apologies to all of you...I know better now.) I was also confident in the knowledge that I was giving these authors honest services, I was doing quality work for them. I didn't know much beyond my own department (Robert makes sure of this).

I stayed through a few times of nonpayment when my pay was often five and six weeks behind. I believed the emails that said the company was suffering because of the economy and that if I stuck with them, they were going places and I'd be in for greater things. I left in December 2009, when Robert's detractors began to make too much sense and the Florida DA's office made its move. I will say that I received all the back pay that was owed to me.

It just makes me sad now that he continues to take advantage of people who do not know any better. He preys on their hopes and dreams. As Regina said, many of them are either elderly or young. All are hopeful.

Please, please, do your research, everyone. Do not sign anything until you know everything you can know about the person on the other end of the contract.

Thank you to all of you who continue to stand up for all of us.
WriterMomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #55
China.blue
A friend in need is a pest !

China.blue is on a distinguished road
SBPRA (merged into SBPRA thread in Strategic subforum)

I remember reading about certain issues regarding SBPRA. Are these issues still relevant or have they been resolved ?
China.blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #56
regdog
Prowl
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There is a thread here

My Blog-Updated on 8/22/14 Same Place Different Time

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #57
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Very much relevant. Run away
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #58
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by China.blue View Post
I remember reading about certain issues regarding SBPRA. Are these issues still relevant or have they been resolved ?
It's not like there are isolated issues that can be resolved there; the core problem is that the person running the "agency" is Robert Fletcher.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #59
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Holy cow! I was browsing epic/historical fantasy e-books at Books on Board and came upon "The Hounds of Samaria". The cover looked okay, the first few sentences of the back cover copy looked okay, so I clicked on it to read more.

It's listed as being published by "Eloquent Books" but the cover copy includes a website by Strategic Publishing Group. And this would all be fine, except for the cover price: $794.21. Seven hundred and ninety four dollars. As you might guess, I most certainly will not be buying this book.

That, dear aspiring authors, is what will happen if you pay Strategic to publish your book.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #60
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
As much as I'd like to slam Strategic on this one, I think it's an error. Here's the same book at Amazon: $10.95 for the paperback and $2.99 for the Kindle edition. I wonder if the price where you found it was supposed to be $9.99 and someone made a data entry error.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #61
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's a mighty big error...
DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 AM   #62
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I reckon you're right, Julie: other books at that vendor by that publisher are $7.94. No idea who made the mistake -- publisher or vendor. Just a fluke that I happened on this book with the price error, I guess.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #63
Gillhoughly
Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage

Location: Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
Gillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The real error was the poor writer falling for Bouncing Bobby's sales pitch.
Gillhoughly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #64
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
And this would all be fine, except for the cover price: $794.21. Seven hundred and ninety four dollars. As you might guess, I most certainly will not be buying this book.
Yes, Eloquent Books is another name for Strategic (and all the other names under which Bobby does business).

But the price there ... reminds me of another bizarre book pricing story. Observe: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358
Old 12-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #65
C. K. Casner
is a twisted individual

C. K. Casner is well-respected
When did the price of Eloquent books go down? I thought everything published by them were high like near or over the $20 mark.
C. K. Casner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #66
Lucas
practical experience, FTW

Lucas is on a distinguished road
I must admit that I was very near to sign a contract with them, handing over the large part of my savings. I could thank my lucky star that my suspicions arose over discrepancies in their e-mail addresses, so I checked out.
Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #67
LindaJeanne
On a small world west of wonder

LindaJeanne is a splendid one to beholdLindaJeanne is a splendid one to beholdLindaJeanne is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I must admit that I was very near to sign a contract with them, handing over the large part of my savings. I could thank my lucky star that my suspicions arose over discrepancies in their e-mail addresses, so I checked out.
Glad you dodged the bulled . Welcome!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #68
Lucas

War with SBPRA? (merged into Strategic thread in subforum)

Two months ago, I was nearly making one stupid mistake. I requested to write a contract with the SBPRA, but I never signed it. I learned about their tricking ways before it.

I sent a mail to their leader, saying I cannot send the payment (I don't like to call them out as frauds in an e-mail).

Now I received a demand for a payment (they haven't done any editing work for me).

If I break a contract I haven't even signed and sent back to them, can I be sued?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #69
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

If I break a contract I haven't even signed and sent back to them, can I be sued?
Send all of the correspondence to the Florida Attorney General's Economic Crimes unit.

It'll be more evidence against Bouncing Bobby.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #70
Lucas

I don't know about the law, but they A) haven't done any work, and B) haven't received any undersigned contract from me. I don't know if they have broke the law, since I'm not a citizen of the State of Florida.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #71
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"I owe you nothing, as you have performed no service for me and I have signed no contract with you. Any further correspondence from you will be directed to the Economic Crimes office of the Florida Attorney General."

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #72
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Fletcher is a citizen of the State of Florida, and that's where he bases his scams. He is being investigated by the state's Attorney General for fraudulent business practices. I'm sure the AG would love to hear from you.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #73
epullins
figuring it all out

epullins is on a distinguished road
SBPRA?

I received an email from an literary ageny claiming that I had queried them and that they were accepting my work and wanted my full manuscript. I dont ever remember querying this company. I googled them and apparently they have changed their names numerous times over the course of several years. Do you guys know anything about these people.? Thanks
epullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 AM   #74
LaylahHunter
Posting on AW instead of writing

LaylahHunter is on a distinguished road
Try this subforum: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=202

The short answer is STEER CLEAR AT ALL COSTS.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #75
dsoul700
Lone Fire

dsoul700 is on a distinguished road
Letter from an Agency

Has anyone here ever heard of an agency called STRATEGIC BOOK PUBLISHING & RIGHTS AGENCY?

I sent them a query letter months back and they recently replied me with acceptance, but I'd like to know how reliable they are.
dsoul700 is offline   Reply With Quote