Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #11226
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
Amen, brother, preach it!

In the Cantina, weird is on a sliding scale.
See, that is something I think a lot of writers need to learn. Weird is an adjective, and as you say, especially in the Cantina it is on a sliding scale. But this is true everywhere else as well, we are just more extreme.

The following is not meant to be rude or insulting to anyone, please don't interpret it in that manner.

True story:

I worked the graveyard shift at 7/11 when I was 20/21. One of the regular customers played the pipe organ at a semi-famous local pizza place. He was very large. He must have weighed 300 lbs. I never asked.

The weight thing has a bearing here, be patient. After a few months of talking, he told me he wanted to introduce me to his sister who was single. I declined, but only because he was a customer and I really didn't know him all that well, besides I had a serious case of lust for a co-worker. Then he told me she was a "little plump".

This one stopped me. At the time I was 6'2" and about 135 lbs. He was about 5'10" and about 300 lbs. His meaning for plump and my meaning for plump were probably quite different. This day drove home that use of adjectives can be dangerous. I only recently thought to apply it to writing fiction, but I have used it in more formal stuff in college. It is one good reason to cut your adjective when they aren't needed. You are quite possibly giving the reader too much leeway in interpretation.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #11227
aliwood
practical experience, FTW

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Excuse me for the interuption.

I do feel it necessary to point that it's been announced that Jim Marshall has died.

Heaven just got a whole lot louder.

Thank you, carry on.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #11228
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
We're measuring 10 now?

Yeah, it goes all the way up to eleven.

(I promise to stop there)

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #11229
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post

She. Not it.

She.

And she goes way beyond 11.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #11230
aliwood

Quote:

I'm not asking how you know that.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #11231
Debio
Joining the insect army.

Debio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for PresidentDebio should run for President
Quote:
She. Not it.

She.

I'm too new, so I'm a bit iffy on the scaling and 10s place on it. Do you imply that she goes all the way to FOURTEEN?

Wow, just wow.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #11232
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debio View Post
I'm too new, so I'm a bit iffy on the scaling and 10s place on it. Do you imply that she goes all the way to FOURTEEN?

Wow, just wow.
Not at all. Rather, there is no scale.

FleasTwits
Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #11233
aliwood

Quote:

Is that like 'there is no spoon'?

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #11234
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, they're coming to see me. They even say that they don't care, and they never criticize me on it. They also know I just started a new job, etc.

I just hate having company when the house is a mess, you know?

Mostly, I need to declutter and chuck a bunch of stuff. But that requires time, which I'm short of at the moment...

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #11235
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post
Yeah, they're coming to see me. They even say that they don't care, and they never criticize me on it. They also know I just started a new job, etc.

Mostly, I need to declutter and chuck a bunch of stuff. But that requires time, which I'm short of at the moment...
Completely understand. It's awesome to have them come visit, but it'd be easier/better if prep work wasn't necessary.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #11236
Etola
Looking at Stars

Etola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:

So...does that mean that 10 > 11?

*mind is blown*

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post

I hear you!
And know the place for the first time.
-T.S. Eliot, "Little Gidding"

Salamander's Shadow
1st draft: 85,126/100k
Adventures of Mae Fortune On the Agent Hunt!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #11237
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Didn't we invent a 1 to 10 scale for this recently?
A 1 to 10 weird scale? I resent that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
Is that the scale with one being "Meh" and our very own Tens being "The Most Epically Epic Thing of All Epicness"?

Or a different scale?
Leave it to Cobra to turn me into something awesome

Quote:
We're measuring 10 now?

Don't act like you don't want to, bro

Quote:

Eeeeeh Spinal Tap! *rewatches*

Quote:
She. Not it.

She.

That is the sweetest yet weirdest thing anyone has said to me today.

Quote:
I'm not asking how you know that.
You're a wise one, young grasshopper.

*mangles quotes*

Quote:

Wow, just wow.
Why stop there?!

Quote:

I like that and all it implies about pizza and chocolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etola View Post
So...does that mean that 10 > 11?

*mind is blown*

Remark of the day goes to: ETOLA!

Sidenote, does anyone else have the urge to type Ebola?

Blog

New Blog Post: How to Avoid Writing Bad Erotica

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: revising

Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #11238
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
Don't act like you don't want to, bro
When have I *ever* acted that way?

Though, really, it wouldn't be with something as impersonal as a scale. Maybe hands. I hear hands are a unit of measurement.

Quote:

I may, or may not, have spent several weeks thinking that was, in fact, her name.

FleasTwits
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #11239
Gilroy Cullen
Gilroy's Unlicensed Therapy Center

Gilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I've always misread it as Enola, like from the plane...

Braving SYW:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=279131
A writer's journey is like life - no two are entirely alike.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #11240
Etola
Looking at Stars

Etola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudgeEtola is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:

WOOOOO!!!!

What do I get?

Quote:
Quote:
I may, or may not, have spent several weeks thinking that was, in fact, her name.

Salamander's Shadow
Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #11241
Etola
Looking at Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilroy Cullen View Post
I've always misread it as Enola, like from the plane...
So I'm either a disease or carrying a nuclear payload. I think I liked it better when I was the Quiet Storm...

Oddly enough, years ago I came across a family tree I made in grade school, which suggested that my great-great-grandmother's name was actually spelled Etolla. However, if that is a more accurate spelling or was just bad spelling on the part of my child-self, I have no idea, since I've never been able to find an English-Iroquois dictionary.

ETA: Boston, didn't we chat a while back about this? I remember you being curious and offering to look into it, but I didn't know which of the Iroquois nations my ancestor was descended from.

Salamander's Shadow

Last edited by Etola; 04-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #11242
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good morning!~

I am super happy today. I discovered that even though Word was not saving last night before it crashed (despite my constant nervous hitting of cmd+s), and although it refused to open the autosave version automatically (thereby making me think it didn't have one), there was an autosave version out there that I just had to find. I only lost 15 minutes of work instead of an hour and twenty.

And hopefully now the stupid thing is fixed.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #11243
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etola View Post
ETA: Boston, didn't we chat a while back about this? I remember you being curious and offering to look into it, but I didn't know which of the Iroquois nations my ancestor was descended from.
Yes we did chat about that. And then this semester hit me, and a number of things I have wanted to do and offered to do in my free time have not happened, because free time has become something of an alien concept. I have not forgotten, though.

But that was long after I had you confused with something else. And really, is it so bad being mistaken for something so violently lethal it could be an end-time plague? This makes you a harbinger of the end, after all.

If nothing else, ought to offer a modicum of job security, being a harbinger.

FleasTwits
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #11244
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
I have a group of students going to England for home stays some time next year. What kinds of questions do you think they'll be asked. What do Brits want to know about Japan, Japanese culture.

If you have had experience with Japanese kids in England, advice would be most appreciated. I have never been to England, so I thought I'd ask.
They might get asked about manga and anime... It's still a big thing here. They might also get asked about some of the more outrageous Japanese fashions, especially if they're girls or in a house with daughters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
automatically (thereby making me think it didn't have one), there was an autosave version out there that I just had to find. I only lost 15 minutes of work instead of an hour and twenty.
I'm really glad you've discovered that! It's saved the bacon of many a student I support that there are tmp files created that often don't get deleted if Word crashes.

Evening, Cantinerites! Today I discovered that I definitely need a lighted mirror that I don't have to physically hold to get my (new) contact lenses in and out. I also discovered that a decent one is freakin' expensive. I made £40 today sorting out a friend's computer and laptop and satnav and handed it all over for a mirror. Ouch. Oh well, at least I had a nice time chatting with her and a good lunch at her local curry place.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #11245
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Leave it to Cobra to turn me into something simply point out that I am awesome
Fixed it for ya'.

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Undead Chaos

Website, Chirps, Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #11246
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelana View Post
I'm really glad you've discovered that! It's saved the bacon of many a student I support that there are tmp files created that often don't get deleted if Word crashes.

Evening, Cantinerites! Today I discovered that I definitely need a lighted mirror that I don't have to physically hold to get my (new) contact lenses in and out. I also discovered that a decent one is freakin' expensive. I made £40 today sorting out a friend's computer and laptop and satnav and handed it all over for a mirror. Ouch. Oh well, at least I had a nice time chatting with her and a good lunch at her local curry place.
Yeah the weird thing is that I save constantly, but apparently there's a bug that can occur where the apple software gets confused and doesn't actually save the document when it says it does. And last night I was too frustrated to figure out where the temporary files were on the Mac.

Curry...sooo jealous.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #11247
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
Yeah the weird thing is that I save constantly, but apparently there's a bug that can occur where the apple software gets confused and doesn't actually save the document when it says it does. And last night I was too frustrated to figure out where the temporary files were on the Mac.
This just terrified me into saving my file as well as uploading the current version to G00gle Docs AND Dr0pBox.

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Undead Chaos

Website, Chirps, Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #11248
Etola
Looking at Stars

Quote:
Yes we did chat about that. And then this semester hit me, and a number of things I have wanted to do and offered to do in my free time have not happened, because free time has become something of an alien concept. I have not forgotten, though.

But that was long after I had you confused with something else. And really, is it so bad being mistaken for something so violently lethal it could be an end-time plague? This makes you a harbinger of the end, after all.

If nothing else, ought to offer a modicum of job security, being a harbinger.

Well, I guess it's not so bad, being either a harbinger or a carrier of a significant payload. However, let it be noted here that I wish to be known as Etola, Harbinger of Happiness, and that my payload is a joy bomb of smiles.

Salamander's Shadow
Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #11249
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Quote:
This just terrified me into saving my file as well as uploading the current version to G00gle Docs AND Dr0pBox.
LOL! Better safe than sorry, I suppose. I think it's just a Mac thing. I've never had it do this to me with Windows. Windows will just crap out on you, not say that it has saved your document when it secretly has not. Mac's are sneaky, evil creatures.*

*Referring to the Apple product, not the admin.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #11250
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Alright, as promised, here is the dire ad so you know I wasn't exaggerating. I glanced at the poor boy today when I went to get my trailer. His paddock is full of poo in areas but he looked okay until he got excited. Then he looked a little rough.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/2924759933.html

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Closed Thread