Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #1976
MsJudy
practical experience, FTW

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nope, short is good for MG. Though I have heard a few agents say less than 30K is too short for MG these days... but I don't think there's a consensus on that.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #1977
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
After flipping through a few books I have (Some Roald Dahl, Babysitter's Club and Nancy Drew) it seems they do a good job of adding pictures every few pages. My guess is they budget size space for that, of course I'm new to the MG world so I could be wrong.

Flipping through these sure brings back some good memories. As a kid its so magical to find a book/series you love. For many kids books are the first possessions they get that they really hang onto for life. They're so much more important than a toy.

*feels all nostalgic*

Stained Glass in the Night Blog / Twitter

Among the Stars in Sci Fi/Fantasy SYW
AbielleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #1978
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
After flipping through a few books I have (Some Roald Dahl, Babysitter's Club and Nancy Drew) it seems they do a good job of adding pictures every few pages. My guess is they budget size space for that, of course I'm new to the MG world so I could be wrong.

Flipping through these sure brings back some good memories. As a kid its so magical to find a book/series you love. For many kids books are the first possessions they get that they really hang onto for life. They're so much more important than a toy.

*feels all nostalgic*
None of those books are current (though they're still fun to read, of course!). If you're new to the MG world, to get a feel for what the MG world and market is really like, you'll want to read current MG.

And what could be more fun than reading lots and lots of MG books? I love doing 'research' as a writer.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #1979
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've read the Wimpy Kid books and have looked over several other popular ones. I worked at Barnes and Noble as a manager for a while, so I mostly skimmed to help parents figure out ideas for their kids, but its been about a year now.

Any recommendations?

Stained Glass in the Night Blog / Twitter

Among the Stars in Sci Fi/Fantasy SYW
AbielleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #1980
Smish
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The kidlit recommendation thread is a good place to start. It sounds like you may be more interested in chapter books than MG? Books aimed at younger kids that often include pictures? If that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend the Clementine, Judy Moody, Stink, and Ivy and Bean books. Those are my favorites at the moment.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #1981
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
My MG paranormal mystery is four pages long.

Well... The outline is. From the look of it the full MS should fit the ideal word length.

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #1982
Smish
AW Moderator

Go, Dave, go!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #1983
DavidBrett

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
W00t! Looks like I has me a cheering squad. Of ONE!

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #1984
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Oh, no, David. We're all cheering for you. I just wasn't going to say anything until you got your shorts back.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #1985
MsJudy

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
yep, we're all cheering. Especially now that you are Hello Kitty Cookie Monster!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #1986
timp67
Guinea pig in the laboratory of God

timp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Go, David!

THE BOY WHO HOWLED
from Bloomsbury USA Children's Books

timp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #1987
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Go David!

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #1988
DavidBrett

Thanks, guys!

Follow me @symplesymon
Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #1989
Smish
AW Moderator

You guys are all awesome.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #1990
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBrett View Post
My MG paranormal mystery is four pages long.

Well... The outline is. From the look of it the full MS should fit the ideal word length.
A four-page outline is a great start! It's four pages more than you had before, right?
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #1991
DavidBrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampuscat View Post
A four-page outline is a great start! It's four pages more than you had before, right?
True dat. Plus, with the book roughly plotted, hopefully the narrative won't stumble after five chapters. Fingers crossed!

Follow me @symplesymon
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #1992
auntybug
teh other evil broad

Location: I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing myself.
auntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsauntybug is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJudy View Post
Nope, short is good for MG. Though I have heard a few agents say less than 30K is too short for MG these days... but I don't think there's a consensus on that.
Mine are right around 30K if that helps Any shorter & I couldn't get imprint on the spine of the book. That's a goal to hit for me!

I keep trying to make my way back over here & it never happens I thought of you guys right away though. There are a lot of groups on facebook for promoting romance novels but I couldn't find one for MG. I started one up hoping to have a place for MG writers to come share their books, blogs, reviews, etc. It's new & I'm lonely! Come drop your book (or books you love) & spread the word! I'd like to see this start getting going & help promote other MG authors.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/424451804238916/
auntybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:24 AM   #1993
Smish
AW Moderator

Thanks for popping in, auntybug! Be sure to post a link to your blog in the stickied Kidlit Blog thread.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #1994
MsJudy

auntybug, while you're in the neighborhood, you should stop by the self-published thread we have going. You've got experience with that, am I right? Or is yours small press? Either way, you could probably share some good insights with the folks who were asking questions about it.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #1995
MsJudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntybug View Post
No experience with self-pubbing. Sorry. I have smaller presses with everything. I'm really happy where I'm at & am no longer pursuing the agent route. You guys are mistaking me for someone with any wisdom. I obviously need to hang our here more.
Don't be so modest! Your experience would be great to share. A lot of folks who try the agent route and don't make much progress jump right to self-pubbing, not realizing there are small-press alternatives that would provide them with some professional support. If you're happy with what you're doing, I'm sure they would love to hear about it.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #1996
Britwriter

Britwriter is well-respected
I'm excited that I made some progress with my MG rewrite this week. I now have about 56 versions of this book, but this week seemed to find the voice for a boy MC.

It's necessitating a lot of changes, but so far, I think it's working. There's a long way to go, but I'm excited to be making some progress.

It's fascinating how many expressions a girl can use, but when they are in the mouth of a boy, they just don't work. And the word count is going down, down, down.

Eg:

Girl: This is so utterly mortifying! How could this happen to me? What did I do to deserve this sort of humiliation?

Boy version (in exact same situation): Bummer.

See what I mean? I just cut 20 words.
Britwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #1997
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britwriter View Post
I'm excited that I made some progress with my MG rewrite this week. I now have about 56 versions of this book, but this week seemed to find the voice for a boy MC.

Eg:

Girl: This is so utterly mortifying! How could this happen to me? What did I do to deserve this sort of humiliation?

Boy version (in exact same situation): Bummer.

See what I mean? I just cut 20 words.

If you added in stomping around and door slamming, you might be able to get some words back. Physical reactions instead of lots of words are pretty typical of some boys, plus you know there is internal dialogue/thoughts happening.
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #1998
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Hi, all,

I just wanted to pop in and say that I am featuring our very own Sage on my blog today. Her YA book, Love Sucks, comes out today. I know this isn't the YA forum, but she spends lots of time over here, too.

Thanks. And if I'm not supposed to do this here, I hope a mod will tell me and delete this post. I'm truly not trying to overstep boundaries.

http://cordeliadinsmore.blogspot.com...ove-sucks.html
Old 04-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #1999
Smish
AW Moderator

It's fine, sissy! You and Sage are both beloved kidlit gang members.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #2000
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Thanks for sharing, sissybaby. And congrats on the book release, Sage! That's super exciting!

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote