Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Auxesis April 500 words/day-all genres welcome

Happy April! Welcome to the 500 words/day thread. This is a support thread to help each other keep writing. Please post all off-topic stuff in the Braggatorium or the Life of Crime and Chocolate thread. Thank you!

How did everyone do in March? What are your goals for April?

I hit my goal in March (10K) and am hoping for the same in April. I'm not going to start until after Easter, though. That's like the Super Bowl for us. All my energy will go there till it's over. But then, look out...

How about you?
heyjude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
March was my worst month so far. I think I managed about two words and had to start from scratch on my WIP.

In April, my hope is to start the new draft, and get at least to the 12K mark I was at before I had to start again, if not beyond that. I'm not making any bigger plans than that because I've had such a hard time getting anything done lately.

My only other project is to get my 'proposal' for a film written out - need to have a synopsis and description of something I really want to make to send to the film school.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
In March I managed 9,944 words, which works out to be an average of 320 words a day. This was up on February's average of 277 per day.

My goal in April is to finish the first draft of the horror WIP. But I've also got the revise my 'siblings' short story following yesterday's writing group crit, so it is going to be a rather busy month.

Good luck to everyone with their April goals!

Shara

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
I made my goal in March, but April calls
for more intensive twists and turns of plot.
Of course, my plumber isn't helping out,
but locks his horns with mine on ev'ry thought.

(My first weak attempt at iambic pentameter.)

Last edited by wonderactivist; 04-01-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: just had to make it half-rhyme
wonderactivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I had around 13k, but I know it was over 10k. Considering that's more than the past three months combined, I'm happy. I got blocked for a few days partway through, figured it out, and then got hit with a new class with a day to prepare, so my last week ended up being kind of non-productive.

That being said, the goal is to finish this book in the next two weeks and then get started on the next one. Not sure how realistic that is, but I think I can do it. I should have a little extra time this first week, so we'll see how it goes.

ETA: How on earth do you pronounce auxesis?

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post

ETA: How on earth do you pronounce auxesis?
Like this: auxesis.

Got it?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
Auxesis,interesting. Hadn't heard of that word, but is one of those words I hit from time to time that I might be able to use in the writing.

That's how I twisted prepotency into my writing. I had a phenomenon in my book with no name, when I heard the word, prepotency was just close enough to fit the bill.

I guess you do learn something every day.

As for last month: I had over 10k words, though my goal was 15k. I'm not going to complain. i feel I finished the month strong.

This month: I want another 10-15k. Though my true goal will be to finish the first draft of my current WIP.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Dechef
practical experience, FTW

Dechef is on a distinguished road
I wanted to finish up with a load of ideas that I got in March, but didn't get far beyond a first few paragraphs here and there, meaning my goal for April would be actually finishing them before I get on with any new ideas of which I have more than plenty, actually...
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
kaitie

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's not actually in my dictionary. I'll have to look it up later in another one.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Dreity

Dreity is a shiny, shiny jewelDreity is a shiny, shiny jewel
Hey cool, I learned a new word today! For those wondering, it's a "rhetorical term for a gradual increase in intensity of meaning with words arranged in ascending order of force or importance". The example the site gave was "It's a bird...it's a plane...it's Superman!"

I wrote 16.5k in March, which was 1k over my goal, and I finished my first draft as well. Two birds, one stone. Score.

I'm still trying to figure out my concrete goals for April. I -think- I'm still going to shoot for 500/day, but most of what I want to do involves outlining book two and plotting book three. I also have a short story I wrote about 2 years ago that I'm thinking about revising.

So yeah, while my raw word output might not be that impressive, I think I will still get a lot done.

Heroic Fantasy Book One: First draft done. Reviewing and revising, one word at a time.
Heroic Fantasy Book Two (Things get a little more epic!): First draft 30,000/110,000(ish)
Dreity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreity View Post
Hey cool, I learned a new word today! For those wondering, it's a "rhetorical term for a gradual increase in intensity of meaning with words arranged in ascending order of force or importance". The example the site gave was "It's a bird...it's a plane...it's Superman!"
Also, hyperbole.

Good luck on your goals! And lovely avatar. Hold on tight, there's a thief around...
Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I hope I'm not the only one who has no idea what "auxesis" means.

Anyway, my goal was to finish draft 2 of 'Inevitable'. I failed big time. Right now, I still have about 30k to edit to complete the draft.

Although I know I won't hit it (given that it would mean editing 1k a day, which is WAY too much for me), I'm going to repeat my goal of completing draft 2.

Maybe.

Just maybe.
MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryRiter View Post
I hope I'm not the only one who has no idea what "auxesis" means.
I thought everyone knew this word. Little known fact: "auxesis" was the first word I ever spoke.

I ended March writing, and I've begun April writing. I'll be happy if this trend dominates the month. (Putting an actual word count on it is my guaranteed route to failure.)

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
kaitie

Yay for writing, Namatu!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #15
Logan!

Logan! is on a distinguished road
I don't know my word count for March, but I know I did pretty darn good. I don't have any concrete goals for April; just keep on trucking.

And I started off this month with a 1,700 word scene that constituted a major plot turn--the prime suspect is the prime suspect no longer. Exciting stuff!
Logan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/auxetic

Click on the little speaker button to get the correct pronunciation.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #17
MyFirstMystery
Having Fun with Words

MyFirstMystery is on a distinguished road
2500/week

I started my goal of 2500 words per week late in March and exceeded it by a bit! My goal for March is to continue with this. A daily goal is tough, but a weekly goal gives me some schedule flexibility.

MFM
MyFirstMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
kaitie

I had a bit over 500 today, so no complaints from me. Hopefully even more tomorrow. I'd love to triple that, if I can.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
mtrenteseau
Mild-mannered accountant by day...

mtrenteseau is a shiny, shiny jewelmtrenteseau is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm back!

The good news I'm starting April off well - 845 words.

The bad news - I've now written a fantastic scene where the male MC calls the female MC's parents to ask permission to propose. But I already have a scene where she calls them after he proposes, and I have to work on continuity.
Novel 4 - 4,178 words, vague notes and a hint of an outline
Diversionary fun side project - 12,451 words
mtrenteseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
knightrunnermat

knightrunnermat is well-respected
I wrote 364 words last night. I know it's not a lot, but I am still trying to get back into writing-for-me mode after weeks and weeks of being swamped with other stuff. I'm a firm believer that if something is important to you, you can always find time to do it. I am still super busy with other less fun writing, but I really want to finish a novel at some point soon.

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote some crap last night, but it's okay. I'm considering now how to best massacre it.

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
I did 1,770 words of my sf / mystery WIP, and actually, inspired by Game of Thrones coming back on TV, did about 600 words today of my alternate history / fantasy WIP that's been stewing for ages. Two days off, two days of writing I'm hoping!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #23
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
It looks like everyone is off to a good start. Didn't quite meet my goal for March, so I'm hoping to do better this month. I had 553 on a tough scene yesterday, and looking to finish the chapter today.

Available on Amazon - Kindle and Paperback

Ken Hoss - Author
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #24
wonderactivist

True petulance is driving Charlie's grudge,
while murder seeps through pipes without a sound.
Four hundred thirty words and Charlie found
A trace of villain's purse in sewer sludge.

(Okay, it's awful, but I have a whole month to get better at it.)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #25
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

I think it's pretty good (and creative!), wonder.