Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
CatharsisChild
Banned

CatharsisChild is well-respected
What book should I read next?

My mood: Thoughtful, creative, artistic, hungry for intellectual consumption

Selections from the Collection: Steppenwolf, The Metamorphosis, The Stranger, The Sound and The Fury, As I Lay Dying, The Bell Jar
CatharsisChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
milly
seeing sparks

milly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"They Whisper" by Robert Olen Butler

- Mark Twain
milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Whatever I want to. Gosh.

-- Napoleon Dynamite.

No bad selections on that list, although, given that two of the titles are by Faulkner, I have to ask if you've read any other William Faulkner. The two novels you list are among his more difficult, and are much better if you have the background of a half-dozen other works by him, notably: Sartoris, The Unvanquished, Light in August, The Hamlet, The Town, The Mansion.

Other suggests:

The Trial, Franz Kafka
Lord Jim, Nostromo or Victory, Joseph Conrad
The Woman in the Dunes, Kobo Abé
The Human Factor, The Ministry of Fear, Graham Greene

caw

Last edited by blacbird; 02-14-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: becaws I inadvertentlly had one too many caws
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
cmi0616
practical experience, FTW

cmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewelcmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewel
The Razor's Edge by W Somerset Maugham was terrific, and sounds like it might be up your alley.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Camilla Delvalle
Dreaming of other times

Camilla Delvalle has a spectacular aura
I'm thinking Dorian Gray's Portrait by Oscar Wilde or Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.
Camilla Delvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
HoneyBadger
Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
The Magus- John Fowles.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatharsisChild View Post
Selections from the Collection: Steppenwolf, The Metamorphosis, The Stranger, The Sound and The Fury, As I Lay Dying, The Bell Jar
The two selections by Faulkner are undeniably great novels, but if you haven't read Faulkner before, they are not the ones you want to start with. If that condition exists, start with Sartoris, The Unvanquished, The Wild Palms, Light in August.

I can't think of a novelist for whom the progression of work is more important to a reader.

caw
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
CatharsisChild
Banned

CatharsisChild is well-respected
In the mood for a dark thriller that has substance. Books that fit the mold in my collection are First Blood, Silence of the Lambs, Apt Pupil, Roadwork, Dolores Claiborne; Secret Window, Secret Garden;
CatharsisChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Camilla Delvalle
Dreaming of other times

Camilla Delvalle has a spectacular aura
Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier.
Camilla Delvalle is offline   Reply With Quote