Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #51
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymegirl View Post
Well, I'm not betting, but I do support them. My husband loves them.
I don't like or dislike them, but I've bet heavily that they will win, far more than I probably should have.

But you know what they say: Life is boring unless you take risks!
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #52
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlight View Post
...Sometimes, I think kids say they're bored when they want adults to play with them.
I believe this is true also. When I was growing up, though, my folks were never considered playmates. Nor would they have wanted to help me and my siblings occupy our time to avoid boredom. At the earliest signs of restlessness, we were ushered outdoors and told not to return until we were either tired or hungry or both.

As long as we stayed out of trouble and made it home before dark, we were free to roam whatever distant vistas appealed to us.

During that time we played sports, usually baseball, and rode our bikes all over hell's creation, sometimes pedaling up to ten miles from home. When I was twelve, the captain of a charter boat hired me on to bait hooks and tidy the vessel and otherwise keep his clients happy, all for five dollars per day. It was a king's ransom at the time, and my parents never knew that I sailed twenty-five miles into the Gulf of Mexico nearly every day during that summer.

Of course that was before cell phones were invented, and online games and hand held devices existed, which tend to keep many kids closer to home these days.

Perhaps recent technology has helped to enhance boredom, especially among younger folks, who may not feel entirely engaged unless they are connected to something or other in some way.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #53
tjwriter
Under the moonlight

tjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's also that stigma where if you don't keep your child close and well guarded all the time, you are a bad parent and neglectful.

So parents don't let their children run all over creation for fear of a CPS call.

I was everywhere as a child. My parents had a vague idea of where I might be found or who I might be with and I had to check in every once in awhile, but many summer was spent riding my bike all over town and playing sports.

Join The 2014-2015 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap

A PROMPT A DAY! The Countdown to 2015 Calendar: Writing Lab --> Writing Exercises --> Flash Fiction Challenge. Open to all!

As the Cantina Turns
tjwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #54
DomesticImp
practical experience, FTW

DomesticImp is a glorious beacon of lightDomesticImp is a glorious beacon of lightDomesticImp is a glorious beacon of light
Honestly, parents are pretty screwed no matter what they do.

If they keep a close eye on their kids, they're labelled 'helicopter parents', and they're kids are being stifled, and will never be able to cope on their own.

If you give your kid some freedom, you're careless, neglectful, etc.

And then there's the Mommy wars...

*sigh*
DomesticImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #55
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OMG. My mother would shoo us outside, and we did all kinds of dangerous things that parents today don't allow. My grandfather could throw a knife well, for instance, so ummm... We only got in trouble for using her steak knives, not for playing with knives!

The one that freaked them out was when I was 6 and came back home with a baby water moccasin in a jar. They let us keep him for a few days in an aquarium.

This was in the suburbs at the time It was a small creek, really.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #56
kenthepen

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm Dad of four, from 8-21. Over the years my goal became: Just get them to adulthood without f***ing them up too badly. And try to help them realize and find the beginning of the path they wanted to travel in life.

Jury's still out.

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
kenthepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #57
DomesticImp

DomesticImp is a glorious beacon of lightDomesticImp is a glorious beacon of lightDomesticImp is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthepen View Post
I'm Dad of four, from 8-21. Over the years my goal became: Just get them to adulthood without f***ing them up too badly. And try to help them realize and find the beginning of the path they wanted to travel in life.

Jury's still out.
I hear you.

My kids don't have college funds. They have therapy accounts.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #58
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashbaby View Post
OMG. My mother would shoo us outside, and we did all kinds of dangerous things that parents today don't allow. My grandfather could throw a knife well, for instance, so ummm... We only got in trouble for using her steak knives, not for playing with knives!

The one that freaked them out was when I was 6 and came back home with a baby water moccasin in a jar. They let us keep him for a few days in an aquarium.

This was in the suburbs at the time It was a small creek, really.
A baby moccasin?

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #59
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB27 View Post
A baby moccasin?

No, this kind, silly:

http://knottsislandonline.com/nature...ottonmouth.jpg

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #60
rhymegirl
Falling into Fall

rhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
As long as we stayed out of trouble and made it home before dark, we were free to roam whatever distant vistas appealed to us.
We used to do this, too. Of course, this was many moons ago. I can recall my youngest sister taking off, visiting friends-- and my mom would not know where she was. She'd say, "One of you girls get on a bike and go look for Rose."

Quote:
Of course that was before cell phones were invented, and online games and hand held devices existed, which tend to keep many kids closer to home these days.
Perhaps recent technology has helped to enhance boredom, especially among younger folks, who may not feel entirely engaged unless they are connected to something or other in some way.
Very true. We lost our power during the hurricane last year for at least a day. My kids were bored silly. No computer, Internet, video games.

We ended up getting out a deck of cards and playing cards.

It Bloggles the Mind
rhymegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #61
kayleamay
I'm on the phone.

kayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My three boys are outside shooting each other other with Air Soft rifles right now. They're wearing protective gear, but I'm sure it will still end with one crying, one yelling and one swearing he hates the other two. They are not bored. However, the fact that they do this over and over again and expect a different result may say something about their intelligence.

Hushpuppy: "When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece of a big, big universe and that makes things right. When I die, the scientists of the future, they're gonna find it all. They're gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub." ~ Beasts of the Southern Wild
kayleamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #62
DomesticImp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleamay View Post
My three boys are outside shooting each other other with Air Soft rifles right now. They're wearing protective gear, but I'm sure it will still end with one crying, one yelling and one swearing he hates the other two. They are not bored. However, the fact that they do this over and over again and expect a different result may speak to their intelligence.
*snicker*
No, it simply says they're sibs.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #63
kenthepen

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've been told that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results........ but maybe that's just the definition of childhood. My stepson keeps snowboarding, even though he gets hurt often.

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
kenthepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #64
CChampeau
The ever absent-minded

CChampeau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusShepherd View Post
Children are forced to pay attention in school. If that content bores them, they underperform or misbehave.

Adults aren't forced to do anything. If they start to get bored, they have the freedom to think about something else. (Although if you look in meeting rooms around the corporate world, you will find lots of smart people who are bored and probably misbehaving; doodling, mostly.)

It's all about what is age-appropriate. Doodling is a sign that a child lacks focus, but is also a sign that an adult has an active imagination. What used to be misbehaviour becomes a virtue when you get older. The underlying psychology doesn't change. The social acceptability of the mis-behavior changes.
Very insightful!

"The truth will set you free."
CChampeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #65
CChampeau
The ever absent-minded

CChampeau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerbird View Post
Oh boy. That's right up there with "only stupid people work in factories".
Lol! All too true - and I would add that this "super-smart" guy was also super stuck-up. I tend to think that he had just "hit his stride" at that time in his life, since he was very active in something he enjoyed and cared about.

I'm happier when something interests me and sad when I get bored...likewise, being depressed makes everything way less interesting and therefore boring.

"The truth will set you free."
CChampeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #66
tiny
riding the sun

Location: Southern California between the Desert and the Mountains
tiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstiny is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Dang, when I was little and complained about being bored I was told to clean my room. Lesson learned. I didn't get bored often and my room was a pit.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #67
Archerbird
Nightowl

Archerbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsArcherbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CChampeau View Post
Lol! All too true - and I would add that this "super-smart" guy was also super stuck-up. I tend to think that he had just "hit his stride" at that time in his life, since he was very active in something he enjoyed and cared about.

I'm happier when something interests me and sad when I get bored...likewise, being depressed makes everything way less interesting and therefore boring.
Oh yeah, depression is one of those big things that really messes with your motivation. What a brilliant thing it is to tell someone who is depressed that they're only bored because they're not smart enough to find something to do.

You get a lot of really "good" quotes from people who consider themselves geniuses. The factory-thing I got from a guy who worked at a course for unemployed people.

"You are too smart to work in a factory" or something similar. I don't consider myself particularly smart, and I tried really hard not to retort with "well, if I'm so clever, how come me can't think of something to say to that without making you cry, you dumb f*".

Good times, that.

Archerbird is offline   Reply With Quote