Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #2676
fihr
practical experience, FTW

fihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to beholdfihr is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
Here's the thing. W1S1 is about keeping stuff moving. But some stories just need more time. And one thing I learned last year was that some things I'd put aside because I thought they weren't salvageable actually are.
Yes, that's why I couldn't submit my first intended W1S1 story this year. I know there's something not working, and only time will give me a sense of what that is. After this weekend, I think I know, and the rewrite won't be easy. But it could do what the story needs.

I guess it depends what stage of writing you are at, but I've learned a lot in the last year, and I think I know how to attack a couple of stories that need rescuing now, as a result.

Some stories just need time to sit and stew in your subconscious for a while, too.

But the good thing about W1S1, is that you can do all that, and keep writing new stuff in the meantime. I guess the trick is not to let the stories that are waiting in the background wait there forever.
fihr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #2677
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is it odd for a publisher to contact you in regards to mentioning the rejection they gave you on the forum?

*feels like she's being stalked*
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #2678
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, that's a bit odd.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #2679
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
Is it odd for a publisher to contact you in regards to mentioning the rejection they gave you on the forum?

It would definitely weird me out.

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #2680
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Quote:

Oh, that's weird.
What did they say???

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #2681
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
Oh, that's weird.
What did they say???
I PM'ed ya about it...in case they're still watching.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #2682
Lillie

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Lol. Thanks.

How strange. I've never heard of that happening before. Just goes to show that what we say here isn't as private as we might think it is.

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #2683
goldmund
---

goldmund is well-respected
Wow, it's scary!
Let me try:
The New Yorker is poo-poo!!

(checks inbox)

I live by the dark river. (dark fantasy, magic realism)

My adventure game.
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #2684
Lillie

Let us know if that works!

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 03-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #2685
goldmund
---

:-O
This just in!!!!

{fiction, TNY TNY_fiction@advancemags.com
03.05.2012}

We're sorry to say that this manuscript is not right for us, because of its evident lack of merit. Unfortunately, we are receiving so many submissions that it is impossible for us to reply more specifically. We thank you for the chance to consider your work.
Also, you're poo-poo yourself.

The Editors

My adventure game.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #2686
Lillie

Yay!

That's a personal

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 03-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #2687
SmallThing
Eek!

SmallThing is well-respected
Quote:

That would fall in the category of weird for me. Weird and very uncomfortable.
SmallThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #2688
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a glorious beacon of lightalexshvartsman is a glorious beacon of lightalexshvartsman is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I PM'ed ya about it...in case they're still watching.
LMK as well, please?
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #2689
goldmund
---

Quote:
Yay!

That's a personal

Hahahaha I know!

My adventure game.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #2690
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

Congrats on the personal R?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #2691
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
It's weird to think of editors reading forums and threads like this one since it's always stressed how little time editors have ( it's why they can't give personal feedback on each submission, it's why writers shouldn't reply to a rejection even just to say 'thank you', etc). So it seems odd for one of them to go out of their way to contact an author in such an indirect manner.

But hey, as long as the world is watching... Analog, I don't like your form letter. I know you are trying to be helpful, but I think it just sends mixed signals. Phew, glad to get that off my chest .

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #2692
OtterFactory
figuring it all out

OtterFactory is on a distinguished road
Maybe the opposite works too! Let me try:

Omg you guys Asimov's is the BEST magazine in the history of all worlds everywhere. I just sent them a story called "Bubbles and Buttercup," and I really hope they accept it, because they are the best magazine ever. LOL if they read this (which I doubt cause they have to do a lot of work to run a magazine that's the shining apotheosis of magazines) I hope they know I'm not sucking up!!!
OtterFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #2693
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai View Post
It's weird to think of editors reading forums and threads like this one since it's always stressed how little time editors have ( it's why they can't give personal feedback on each submission, it's why writers shouldn't reply to a rejection even just to say 'thank you', etc). So it seems odd for one of them to go out of their way to contact an author in such an indirect manner.
A couple people have said to me that it was most likely Google Alert that notified them about it. Which I can understand if they want to know if people are talking about them on the web. But then to take it a step further and email... *cues spooky music which sounds remarkably like Twilight Zone's theme song*

Quote:
But hey, as long as the world is watching... Analog, I don't like your form letter. I know you are trying to be helpful, but I think it just sends mixed signals. Phew, glad to get that off my chest .
Ha! Hope they hear ya out.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #2694
Lillie

DSF didn't send me my story today.
I tried resubscribing, but they said I already was, and I still didn't get my story.

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #2695
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

DSF didn't send me my story today.
I tried resubscribing, but they said I already was, and I still didn't get my story.
Have you been getting them? It could be a temporary glitch.

The Collections Agent: Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE
Vessels for Destruction: Nature Magazine
Brass Stars: Eggplant Literary Productions

In the Cool of the Day: Abyss & Apex

A.G. Carpenter : updated 4.14
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #2696
Lillie

I subscribed about a week ago.
I got one every day last week.
Then nothing today. I checked the spam.

If I don't get one tomorrow I'll use their contact form.

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #2697
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

For anyone else who's subbed to Strange Horizons, how long did it take to receive your automated email?
Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #2698
Lillie

I've just checked the three I've sent them.

Same day for all of them.

But I haven't subbed to them since before Christmas. Maybe they've changed.

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #2699
defcon6000
In Time-Out For My Sins

Did you receive the auto email immediately, or did it a take a few hours? 'Cause I haven't gotten mine yet. >.<
Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #2700
Lillie

I can't remember.
I have a feeling it was pretty much immediately, but I could be remembering wrong.

Published stories

Most recent publications