Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #626
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdish View Post

I got ahead by 1k today and worked out some plot holes. I'm feeling pretty good about it today.

Can't say how I'll feel tomorrow, though.
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good work!

So, you might fiddle with it tomorrow. No biggy. You've got something to fiddle with.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 02-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #627
Sarah G
Let me live that fantasy.

Sarah G has a spectacular auraSarah G has a spectacular aura
Thanks for the poke guys, I think they must have worked I wrote about 900 words today, it's not a lot, but it's the most I have wrote all month.

I'm also hoping to start sending Query's for my other novel soon. Hoping for end of Feb or start of March. I think I'll be doing a lot of this
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #628
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
Thanks for the poke guys, I think they must have worked I wrote about 900 words today, it's not a lot, but it's the most I have wrote all month.

I'm also hoping to start sending Query's for my other novel soon. Hoping for end of Feb or start of March. I think I'll be doing a lot of this

Congrats on the word count.

I'm not getting why you'll feel a need to hide when you query. [Scratches head or turban, whichever comes first. Turban in my case.]

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #629
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am behind.

I *hate* being behind.

Especially when I see that I am not likely to catch up for a few more days.
soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #630
sky warrior books
Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon

sky warrior books is well-respected
Crap on toast!! I came to a sudden realization that my protag has no meaningful inner conflict.

Sure, there's lots of external conflict, but my hero has no defined goal. Survival aside, he isn't really aiming towards anything.

No wonder this book feels disjointed and a total mess. Survival is a nice goal, but it doesn't give anyone internal conflict. It's a hang along for the ride type of thing.

So, now I need to come up with an internal conflict and lace it through the book. Once I have that, I might actually have a real novel. Maybe.

M.H. Bonham, Author of more than 30 books and Publisher of Sky Warrior Book Publishing LLC. www.skywarriorbooks.com

sky warrior books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #631
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Well, Sky Warrior, that's no fun. But good thing you noticed it before the book bombed.

And Soapdish, if you haven't given up, you're still ahead...

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #632
Sarah G
Let me live that fantasy.

Sarah G has a spectacular auraSarah G has a spectacular aura
I haven't done anymore writting, but I have been editing my first book, yet again. I need I hate editing. I am going to write a list of agents tonight as I got good feedback on my Query And start sending them out tommorrow, so I'll be back to checking my email everyday
Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #633
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Hugs on editing. I often enjoy it because I can see something extraordinary emerge from a ho-hum text. But it does get in the way of new writing...

Congrats on good feedback to your query. Best of luck with agents!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #634
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Slowly dragging myself back to where I should be. 295 words this morning. It's a start.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #635
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey everyone.

Sigh.

Finally. Finally I am editing again. I finished chapter 11 - which I have been working on in tiny little bitty pathetic baby bits for the last 3 weeks. Finally finally.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #636
soapdish
writing

I am only 200 words away from being caught up. But that's all my writing time for the day so...
Old 03-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #637
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

I haven't written much for about a week. We just got new email addresses, and I've been busy notifying folks. Hopefully, I'll get some really work (funny how writers love work and the rest of the world hates it) done this weekend.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #638
LilliCray
私は、自分でいいの

LilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolness
I am at about 22k. I am supersuperfreaking psyched about this project. It's actually going WELL. And I think I might even be able to finish it (*gasp*)! And even write some scenes in the sequel before getting so sick of the world and characters I trunk it all!

Then...

...y'know what? Not thinking of the future (in terms of writing) at the moment. This project, here and now, that's what matters, because holy crap if I can ever finish a novel my self-esteem would go through the bloody ATMOSPHERE. Which would be a reaaaally nice change of pace...

伝勇伝が大好きよ~。

LilliCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #639
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri Kirpal View Post

I haven't written much for about a week.
and/or Depending on which you respond to best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilliCray View Post
I am at about 22k. I am supersuperfreaking psyched about this project. It's actually going WELL. And I think I might even be able to finish it (*gasp*)! And even write some scenes in the sequel before getting so sick of the world and characters I trunk it all!

Man, I LOVE that feeling.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #640
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdish View Post
and/or Depending on which you respond to best.

Thanks, I always accept hugs. But I wasn't repining or being lazy. Just doing what life gave me to do until I could get back to work. Which was today! Hurray!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #641
soapdish
writing

...oh, and I'm back on track. I can't believe it, but I am.

Found a most awesome way to explain why there are no children in the community my characters live in. I'm very pleased with myself. Today. That changes from day to day.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #642
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
congrats, soapdish

I got chapter 12 edited today.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #643
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Good work, folks!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #644
sky warrior books
Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon

sky warrior books is well-respected
I feel so unproductive.

First, I got Norovirus from the con. That was no fun.

My husband got it too. I got a slight backlash from it.

I got a tooth extracted. I butchered a chicken and while dressing it, cut my finger. (Those hunting knives are sharp!) And then I've been trying to do royalties, edit and format a book, oh, and trying to figure out my character's motivation and internal conflict.

Did I mention that he's not helping one bit? I'm writing a throwaway scene where he decides to leave home. Nothing seems to be working even though I've talked about motivations with my DH and things that seem apparent aren't. He is also not as cocky as he should be, being so young. Damn him. I need to whack him upside the head. So, I'm sitting here getting pissy. Not good.

M.H. Bonham, Author of more than 30 books and Publisher of Sky Warrior Book Publishing LLC. www.skywarriorbooks.com

sky warrior books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #645
LilliCray
私は、自分でいいの

LilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolnessLilliCray leaves trails of profuse coolness
Poor sky warrior. That's no fun... Hope your character starts behaving soon. Totally stinks when characters just sit back and sip lemonade while watching you struggle to figure out things about their inner workings... or something like that. Was totally going for an epic metaphor. Epic metaphor fail...

Aaaand, today is not as good in the self-esteem as yesterday. If I start thinking about what happens after the first draft, I start freaking. I know I cut craploads of stuff in editing--I managed to get a 22k partial draft down to 15k--and I'm worried about length as is; my WIP is at 22k right now, and roughly halfway through the plot? Maybe?

So I'm really trying not to think about what happens after the first draft. I mean, with my record, I may very well never even get to that point. Just gotta keep reminding myself, get the first draft done, and then I can worry about the length... sigh.

In other news, was definitely avoiding the part of the scene I ended up writing yesterday. It turned out semi-awesome. Definitely will need much editing, but I love love LOVE how [this book's] main antagonist came across. Definitely a far cry from how I'd originally thought of him, but then, now I know him a lot better. And, incidentally, I know how the dragons in my world work, a little better... not that there are any actual dragons until the sequel, but that is totally beside the point. I really love this world I'm working in. ...except possibly the magic system, but I just need to figure out how exactly that works for people without the innate magic and stuff...

Geez, I really *do* blather a lot, don't I?

伝勇伝が大好きよ~。

LilliCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #646
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettielee View Post

I got chapter 12 edited today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky warrior books View Post

I got a tooth extracted. I butchered a chicken and while dressing it, cut my finger. (Those hunting knives are sharp!)
That's a lot to happen all at once. I'm so sorry. Damn.

Quote:

So I'm really trying not to think about what happens after the first draft. I mean, with my record, I may very well never even get to that point. Just gotta keep reminding myself, get the first draft done, and then I can worry about the length... sigh.
This. Is. Me. Exactly.
I'll try and stop worrying about it if you do.

I'm right on track. Still. I'm amazed. Today I added a mysterious garden/farm, and I'm leading up to a dream sequence. Which, come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever written before.
So, that should be fun. I'm not going to write it until tomorrow though, letting it sort of map out in my head today first.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #647
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky warrior books View Post
I feel so unproductive.

I got a tooth extracted. I butchered a chicken and while dressing it, cut my finger. (Those hunting knives are sharp!) And then I've been trying to do royalties, edit and format a book, oh, and trying to figure out my character's motivation and internal conflict.

Did I mention that he's not helping one bit? I'm writing a throwaway scene where he decides to leave home. Nothing seems to be working even though I've talked about motivations with my DH and things that seem apparent aren't. He is also not as cocky as he should be, being so young. Damn him. I need to whack him upside the head. So, I'm sitting here getting pissy. Not good.

Bah humbug! (I'm good at understatements!)

Sounds to me like you should avoid sharp instruments whilst wrestling with your characters.

If the guy doesn't want to be cocky, try telling him he can't be, and see what happens.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #648
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Quote:
Poor sky warrior. That's no fun... Hope your character starts behaving soon. Totally stinks when characters just sit back and sip lemonade while watching you struggle to figure out things about their inner workings... or something like that. Was totally going for an epic metaphor. Epic metaphor fail...

Aaaand, today is not as good in the self-esteem as yesterday. If I start thinking about what happens after the first draft, I start freaking. I know I cut craploads of stuff in editing--I managed to get a 22k partial draft down to 15k--and I'm worried about length as is; my WIP is at 22k right now, and roughly halfway through the plot? Maybe?

In other news, was definitely avoiding the part of the scene I ended up writing yesterday. It turned out semi-awesome. Definitely will need much editing, but I love love LOVE how [this book's] main antagonist came across. Definitely a far cry from how I'd originally thought of him, but then, now I know him a lot better. And, incidentally, I know how the dragons in my world work, a little better... not that there are any actual dragons until the sequel, but that is totally beside the point. I really love this world I'm working in. ...except possibly the magic system, but I just need to figure out how exactly that works for people without the innate magic and stuff...

Geez, I really *do* blather a lot, don't I?

Blathering is fine.

Glad your character is misbehaving the way that improves the text.

Don't worry too much about word count. You may end up adding a nifty subplot or two.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #649
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Good work, Soapdish! (I keep typing Soupdish, then re-typing.)

Dream sequences are fun.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #650
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri Kirpal View Post
(I keep typing Soupdish, then re-typing.)
You aren't the first person to do that. It's okay.

So... yeah...

I'm at the point in the novel where it all fell apart the last time I wrote it. The exact place. And it's happening again. I thought for sure I'd outlined my way out of this mess, but apparently I haven't.

Just 500 words. I keep telling myself that I just have to get 500 words at a time. And to breathe.

But what happened last time was that I wrote 500, then 500 more etc. etc., and then pretty soon the last half of the book was composed of 500 word chunks of shit that didn't make sense or flow together.

*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*