Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mainstream/Contemporary/Literary
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #26
spentastico
banned as an incurable tosspot

spentastico is on a distinguished road
Well, I'll giver 'er a shot. If anything, feel free to dock me some points if I can't get in under 5.
spentastico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #27
flapperphilosopher
practical experience, FTW

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
Ah, sounds fun!! It will be keeping me writing while editing too! (and clearly I'm off to a good start-- two sentences and three exclamation points! Haha!)
flapperphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #28
flapperphilosopher
practical experience, FTW

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
One question-- how many question marks do we get?????
flapperphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #29
HoneyBadger
Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
As many as your quizzical heart desires.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #30
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
As many as your quizzical heart desires.
Don't spoil them.

@flapperphilosopher

You get 6 question marks, 42 periods, 2 semicolons, 84 commas, 1 colon, and half an exclamation point.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #31
HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
But not the period half of the exclamation point!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
HoneyBadger

Okay, alert the media and your friends. This damn thing is a go.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm in.

I predict Kuwi's going to win, though.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #34
Chazevelt
figuring it all out

Chazevelt is on a distinguished road
Would love to dabble/play with you folks, but if it's in SYW... I don't have 50 posts yet. Does that mean I can only peer through the fence and kick my toe in the dirt?
Chazevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #35
HoneyBadger

What we might do, if we all roughly agree except for not Mr. Defiantpants, is have everyone PM me their tales and I'll post them all in SYW in one thread, with author names removed, then we can vote for the winner fair and square.

Or not vote, and just snark friendlyly at each other.

Also- dialogue is not required and ellipses are not periods, so you can use as many as you... well, you know... need, I guess.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #36
Chazevelt
figuring it all out

Many thanks, HoneyBadger.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #37
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
What we might do, if we all roughly agree except for not Mr. Defiantpants, is have everyone PM me their tales and I'll post them all in SYW in one thread, with author names removed, then we can vote for the winner fair and square.

Or not vote, and just snark friendlyly at each other.
Sounds good to me.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #38
Chazevelt
figuring it all out

Wow, this is harder than I expected. On a par with trying to quit smoking.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #39
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

This probably ought to be announced in Literary & Misfits or something.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #40
HoneyBadger

Okay.

I don't know what that is.

I'm on it.

Last edited by HoneyBadger; 03-02-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #41
Libbie
Worst song played on ugliest guitar

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, so we're on, huh? I will try to get mine in by the deadline. I'm trying to finish up my GREAT! AMERICAN! NOVEL! (spoiler: not great) this month and I'm also caring for my cancer-stricken grandma (sadness), so I might not pull it off. But I'll give it the ol' college-dropout try.

So it needs to be a complete short piece, with an arc and a conflict and a resolution and everything? Or are we just going for the most charming five-period prose?
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #42
HoneyBadger

This is litfic so clearly you shouldn't be thinking about a plot at all. Soooo pedestrian.

I don't think it needs to be a full short, or true flash, or anything, but probably there should be some context to the piece. Or not.

I'm seriously the worst person to run anything, due to my complete lack of convictions.

And hooray for finishing your book and sadface for your grandmother.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #43
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbie View Post
So it needs to be a complete short piece, with an arc and a conflict and a resolution and everything?
As close as you can get, at least. That's a lot for 1000 words without the other challenges.

I elaborate on the justification and purpose here.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #44
Libbie

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
As close as you can get, at least. That's a lot for 1000 words without the other challenges.

I elaborate on the justification and purpose here.
I can pull off a full arc and shit in under 1000 words. My first published short story was 998 words. Anyhoodles, I'll work on it tonight. I'm sitting up waiting for some asshole from Craigslist to show up and haul away the trusty old futon that was my only piece of furniture for the past two years. You know that chick who sold that awful zombie YA book where it's all steampunk and a lady has sex with a zombie captain of the army and the writing is all modern internet speech and it's terrible, and you know how she was all OH I WAS SO POOR AND THINKING ABOUT GOING ON FOOD STAMPS AND THEN I SOLD MY ZOMBIE BOOK AND NOW I GET TO WRITE TERRIBLE ZOMBIE BOOKS FULL-TIME, YAY, LIFE IS SUNSHINE AND UNICORN FARTS? Yeah, that chick can bite me, because I'm pretty sure she's never been poor enough that she's lived in a noisy closet in somebody's drafty basement with only a futon for furniture for TWO YEARS. Where is my book contract? CLEARLY THE UNIVERSE HATES ME. Or maybe Jesus is punishing me for being an atheist.

Anyway. The point here is, I'll check out your other post on it and see what I can come up with.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #45
Libbie

Update: Futon guy was actually not an asshole. Now I feel bad.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #46
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbie View Post
I can pull off a full arc and shit in under 1000 words. My first published short story was 998 words.
Okay, so *I* find it difficult. Shut up.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #47
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

Dr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admiration
Just the full arc and not having a shit would be nice. Deal?

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Dr.Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #48
Libbie

I can promise nothing.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #49
HoneyBadger

I hope you're all working very hard on this stupid thing.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #50
HoneyBadger

April Fools!

You now get 'til midnight tonight!