Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #201
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Has anyone had any experience with The Uninvited? It's a zine for the iPad and all those mobile devices. They've had a story of mine for 64 days now, sent an inquiry yesterday to poke 'em. Haven't heard back as of yet.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #202
mhaynes
practical experience, FTW

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Weird Tales may be open to submissions again the first week of March per a comment made by the new publisher below a blog post on their site:

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2012/0...%80%99re-back/

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #203
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
Weird Tales may be open to submissions again the first week of March per a comment made by the new publisher below a blog post on their site:

I can't wait! I've missed them for a long time.

And if anyone is curious, I still haven't heard back from The Uninvited. So much for the "respond in 60 days".
Old 02-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #204
O'Dandelo

O'Dandelo is well-respected
Quote:

All right! Another horror market! And perhaps the big daddy at that! Thanks for sharing, Michael.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #205
goldmund
---

goldmund is well-respected
Good news.
But the difference in style between the new incarnation's cover and the former one's is well, stunning... and not in a good way.

Looks like a box art of some 3rd rate video game
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #206
Sea Witch
Stirring the word cauldron

Sea Witch is well-respected
Has anyone ever submitted anything to The Postcard Press?

2012 W1S1 (Subs = 11, Pubs = 3)
WIP WC = 42,000/80,000
Stop by my blog and leave a comment!
http://quinceandquilt.blogspot.com/
Sea Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #207
defcon6000
Banned

No big surprise, but duotropes has declared Result Jelly "dead".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Witch View Post
Wouldn't have a clue; I don't submit to non-paying markets.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #208
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Witch View Post
Nope, but they look like fun And even though they're non-paying, it doesn't look like they accept everything sent their way, either.

New crime mag, run by Jeremiah Tolbert and Nick Mamatas: The Big Click. Currently closed to subs, but they'll be paying $100 a story.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #209
defcon6000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
New crime mag, run by Jeremiah Tolbert and Nick Mamatas: The Big Click. Currently closed to subs, but they'll be paying $100 a story.
Awesome, thanks for sharing. Looks like I might have something up their alley. *waits for them to open submission doors*
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #210
Pemako

Pemako is on a distinguished road
Anyone heard anything about AE? I've had a story there forever, and their website is either down or dead. Duotrope says something about 'may be declared dead', if I'm reading things correctly. Sigh.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #211
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd bear with them for a wee bit yet. Perhaps their ISP is having server issues. Acceptances have been reported on duotrope as recently as 26 Feb, which would appear to indicate they're still up and running.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #212
Pemako

Pemako is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Izz! Hope they're still alive ... I had a story at Weird Tales when it went (temporarily) under a couple of months ago, and I was waiting and waiting to hear something, not realizing it was never going to happen. Lol - don't want to do that again.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #213
mhaynes

Per their Twitter, the AE issues sound to be technical in nature: https://mobile.twitter.com/aescifi/tweets

Last edited by mhaynes; 03-06-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Hit post too soon
Old 03-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #214
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Fantasy Faction Short Story Contest
Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #215
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
With all the interest in western stuff around here lately, I saw this today and thought someone might be interested. Anyone subbing to either of them? Apparently the western one opened for subs in November, but I don't remember hearing about it.
THE EDGE OF SUNDOWN
An Original Anthology of Western Horror Stories
And then also from the same group, not Western obviously:
STEAMPUNK CTHULHU (working title)
Both are found here: http://www.freewebs.com/brian_sammons/editorwork.htm

soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #216
mhaynes

Not a market, per se, but an editor (Jennifer Brozek, who seems to have good credentials) posted a tweet just a few minutes ago looking for authors interested in writing dark spec fic stories.

https://twitter.com/#!/jenniferbroze...48510196125696

Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #217
defcon6000
Banned

Quote:
Not a market, per se, but an editor (Jennifer Brozek, who seems to have good credentials) posted a tweet just a few minutes ago looking for authors interested in writing dark spec fic stories.

https://twitter.com/#!/jenniferbrozek/status/179248510196125696
Thanks for the heads up! Had to make a Twitter account--I truly dislike most of these social networking things--but at least it's for a cause.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #218
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Anyone remember who wrote the were-octopus story? Because that's one of the anthologies she's putting together - were-aquatic creatures.

The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE

A.G. Carpenter : updated 7.14
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #219
defcon6000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
Anyone remember who wrote the were-octopus story? Because that's one of the anthologies she's putting together - were-aquatic creatures.
That was Victoria. Haven't seen her on lately.

ETA: Twitter n00b, but what URL does she want you to email with?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #220
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Had to make a Twitter account--I truly dislike most of these social networking things--but at least it's for a cause.
I am not making a twitter account.

Not for any money.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #221
defcon6000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
I am not making a twitter account.

Not for any money.
How about fake money?

I won't stick with it, just use it for opportunities like this. Otherwise, I could care less what other people tweet about.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #222
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Show me the fake and I'll decide

It has to be a really good one.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #223
defcon6000
Banned

One of the anthos is about coins--does that help? I think they're all semi-pro paying. I'll find out more and see if I'm interested, if not, oh well.

Update: So one of the requirements it seems for the antho call is that you need an author site: "Author websites need three things at a minimum: Your name, what you have had published, how to contact you. Clear, concise, professional." Also, you need one publication that actually paid you.

I think I'm out, haha. I've been meaning to buy a domain and make an author site, but haven't done it yet.

Last edited by defcon6000; 03-13-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #224
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

https://twitter.com/#!/jenniferbroze...48510196125696
Thank you so much for sharing that, Michael! I'm traveling and would have certainly missed it otherwise, even though I follow her on Twitter. Because I saw your post, I contacted Jennifer and snagged the very last invite for the coins anthology.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #225
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
One of the anthos is about coins--does that help? I think they're all semi-pro paying. I'll find out more and see if I'm interested, if not, oh well.

Update: So one of the requirements it seems for the antho call is that you need an author site: "Author websites need three things at a minimum: Your name, what you have had published, how to contact you. Clear, concise, professional." Also, you need one publication that actually paid you.

I think I'm out, haha. I've been meaning to buy a domain and make an author site, but haven't done it yet.
I just use my blog. Fortunately I had the foresight to get one under agcarpenter.blogspot.com in the midst of the others I doodled around with. (I even had one called Pencil Vomit that was for my artwork.)

The blog, apparently, was enough. And my small, but solid publication credits. I got an invite for the were-steampunk antho. ('Cause, really, what else would I be interested in?)

Aggy, kind of excited

The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE

A.G. Carpenter : updated 7.14
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote